Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Microsoft not done acquiring game studios

UltraMega

During the interview, Spencer stated that:

So we’re always looking for people who we think would be a good match and teams that would be a good match with our strategy. So we’re definitely not done.

There’s no quota. There’s no kind of timeline where I have to go acquire studios by a certain time, but if we find a studio where we have a good fit, we share what we’re trying to go do and what they’re trying to go do, and if we feel we can both get better together, absolutely.

Over the past few years, Microsoft has made several high-profile studio purchases in an attempt to correct their biggest issue in the last generation of consoles, the lack of a diverse lineup of first-party titles. This has included Ninja Theory, Compulsion Games, Obsidian Entertainment, and Double Fine to name a few. It ultimately culminated with the company paying over 7 billion to acquire Zenimax, which included Bethesda, Machinegames, Arkane, and others.

While it is hard to say what purchases Microsoft will make next, there are currently is a rumor that they are testing their compatibility with three studios. These include Crystal Dynamics, the Square Enix-owned studio that is helping with the reboot of Perfect Dark, Avalanche Studios, which are currently developing the Xbox first-party title Contraband, and Hitman developer IO Interactive who are currently working on an Xbox first-party title simply known as Project Dragon.

WWW.GAMINGINSTINCTS.COM

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Xbox Head Phil Spencer stated that Xbox is not yet done...

Personally I'd like to see MS buy Ubisoft. Ubi makes good games that have often have major flaws they take a while to iron out. Microsoft could buy them and sort out their issues... and then release another good ghost recon game. One cane dream. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

The last thing we need is gaming studios being consolidated into few and few companies with more and more exclusives.

Ohh.....and the only way there will ever be a good Ghost Recon game is if it returns to being a first person tactical shooter again, not this 3rd person, bullet sponge, loot shooter crap.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Diffident said:

The last thing we need is gaming studios being consolidated into few and few companies with more and more exclusives.

Ohh.....and the only way there will ever be a good Ghost Recon game is if it returns to being a first person tactical shooter again, not this 3rd person, bullet sponge, loot shooter crap.

Generally I'd agree but since Microsoft puts app their games on game pass it ends up being a good deal in the end and I'm pretty in favor of good deals.

I'd also argue Wildlands is a good Ghost Recon game... but the newer one is pretty weak. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, UltraMega said:

Generally I'd agree but since Microsoft puts app their games on game pass it ends up being a good deal in the end and I'm pretty in favor of good deals.

I'd also argue Wildlands is a good Ghost Recon game... but the newer one is pretty weak. 

i give you the very first ghost recon. where it was so hard to spot enemies you were dead before you found them. but they cant do that anymore, because 10 year olds cant play it.

Owned

CPU: AMD R7 7800X3D
GPU: AMD RX Sapphire 7800XT Pure
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B650M Project Zero
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 32-38-38 @ 6200mhz
SSD/NVME: Sabrent Rocket NVMe 500GB (Windows)
SSD/NVME 2: WD Black SN850X 4TB (Games)
SSD/NVME 3: Cruicial MX 500 2TB (Programs)
SSD/NVME 4: Crucial MX 300 1TB (Documents/Downloads)
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Xeon 5345 @ 2.3GHZ
CPU 2: Xeon 5345 @ 2.3GHZ
MOTHERBOARD: Intel S5000PSL E-ATX
RAM: 32GB Hynix ECC DDR2 667Mhz
CPU COOLER: 2x Dynatron 2U Heatsinks
SSD/NVME: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: Seagate Firecuda Compute 2TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Winodws Server 2019 Standard
Full Rig Info

2 hours ago, PCSarge said:

i give you the very first ghost recon. where it was so hard to spot enemies you were dead before you found them. but they cant do that anymore, because 10 year olds cant play it.

The real challenge is playing without spotting. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

7 hours ago, UltraMega said:

It's only a good deal if you play enough to justify paying a monthly fee. 

My guess is eventually once Microsoft gobbles up enough studios, they all become Windows Store exclusives using UWP.  Microsoft's wet dream is to have a walled garden like Apple's. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Diffident said:

It's only a good deal if you play enough to justify paying a monthly fee. 

I play enough to justify ten dollars a month... 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Not that I am going to do much Bethesda praising, but one thing I always liked about their games was the open sandbox nature and modability that enhanced that experience, looking at Oblivion, FO: New Vegas, and Skyrim.

Since they got bought up by Microsoft, seems they are now going towards Xbox exclusives? I can see this trend continuing and that is bad in my book.

Games Pass definitely has its merits, but I really don't think all studios being owned by a few entities is a good future for gaming as a whole.

Edited by Sir Beregond
  • Thanks 1

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

25 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

Not that I am going to do much Bethesda praising, but one thing I always liked about their games was the open sandbox nature and modability that enhanced that experience, looking at Oblivion, FO: New Vegas, and Skyrim.

Since they got bought up by Microsoft, seems they are now going towards Xbox exclusives? I can see this trend continuing and that is bad in my book.

Games Pass definitely has its merits, but I really don't think all studios being owned by a few entities is a good future for gaming as a whole.

I don't disagree with the sentiment but Microsoft is just trying to catch up to Sony with exclusives and I'm not going to fault them for that. I also think there there are so many game devs out there that it would be hard to congregate them. At the same time lots of larger publishers have gotten greedy and I see having Microsoft behind the wheel as a good way to ensure certain games don't get overly monetized. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

Full Rig Info

Not interested, just yet another move to consolidate anything creative into one or two giant companies that run everything.  Still haven't bought an EA title since 2007 or whenever it was BF3 / Origin came out, and still won't.  MS.....you guys are no different, I'll stop buying your garbage too.  I can live without video games if it means I'm going to rent everything and have subscription models that can get cancelled just because I said something wrong in an unrelated chat.  I'll buy boxed copies of old games LONG before I pay a subscription to ALLOW me to play a game.  MS Games Pass.......its a neat idea in theory, I see its uses, but nope....not for me.  Give it to us as an OPTION, not a forced requirement.  There's just too much regulation that the companies would have control over, and these are companies I just flat out do not trust anymore.

Yes, I know, I know......Steam is the same thing.  Even later boxed games were setup in their EULA's to basically say its not "yours".  My point still stands.  Bring back personal ownership of things I pay my hard earned money for!  Stop consolidating all things creative under one or two companies.  Idk, maybe I'm the odd man out here.  *shrugs /rant

Edited by pioneerisloud
  • Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

52 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

Not interested, just yet another move to consolidate anything creative into one or two giant companies that run everything.  Still haven't bought an EA title since 2007 or whenever it was BF3 / Origin came out, and still won't.  MS.....you guys are no different, I'll stop buying your garbage too.  I can live without video games if it means I'm going to rent everything and have subscription models that can get cancelled just because I said something wrong in an unrelated chat.  I'll buy boxed copies of old games LONG before I pay a subscription to ALLOW me to play a game.  MS Games Pass.......its a neat idea in theory, I see its uses, but nope....not for me.  Give it to us as an OPTION, not a forced requirement.  There's just too much regulation that the companies would have control over, and these are companies I just flat out do not trust anymore.

Yes, I know, I know......Steam is the same thing.  Even later boxed games were setup in their EULA's to basically say its not "yours".  My point still stands.  Bring back personal ownership of things I pay my hard earned money for!  Stop consolidating all things creative under one or two companies.  Idk, maybe I'm the odd man out here.  *shrugs /rant

I'll definitely be sad if it turns out this way but I think Microsoft is really serious about delivering good games. They've seen Sony beat them at every turn in this race with great titles and I think MS has seen the light in that they see that they haven't had much going on in their side of the ring besides Halo. 

MS is a different company with Satya Nadella at the helm and Phil Spencer being more autonomous. I'm optimistic they are on a good path.

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, UltraMega said:

I'll definitely be sad if it turns out this way but I think Microsoft is really serious about delivering good games. They've seen Sony beat them at every turn in this race with great titles and I think MS has seen the light in that they see that they haven't had much going on in their side of the ring besides Halo. 

MS is a different company with Satya Nadella at the helm and Phil Spencer being more autonomous. I'm optimistic they are on a good path.

We can certainly hope so.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

6 hours ago, UltraMega said:

They're not serious about making good games, they're serious about making money.  Buying as many game studios as they can and locking them to their platform is how Microsoft has chosen to accomplish that goal.  Odds are any of them with online content will probably require a Microsoft account for access which aligns with their other goal of collecting as much data from users as possible.

• Thanks 1