Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

very strange laptop issue... power button does nothing

UltraMega

So a customer brough me a dell laptop that he bought used. It works but the power button doesn't do anything. 

When opening the lid, the laptop turns on every time almost like opening the lid works as a power button. At no time does the power button do anything, holding it down does not force the laptop to turn off. I was thinking the power button itself was the issue and I was going to replace it but after running some tests I determined that the power button will turn off the laptop after I unplug the battery and reset the bios, but once it boots up fully the power button goes back to doing nothing. 

I read there are some laptops with a feature for turning them on when the lid is opened but I don't see any settings for that in the bios, and if that were the case I figure the power button would still work. I'm kinda at a loss here. My best guess is the motherboard has some kind of unique issue. Any thoughts?  

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Some more thoughts after reading more about this...

Newer dell laptops have a "lid power on" option and there should be an option to enable/disable it in the bios. This laptop is basically acting as if this feature is on but the option to disable it is missing. 

There was an update for the bios from this year (laptop has an intel 7th gen CPU) and I did the update, still no option to disable lid power on. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

Full Rig Info

I know it sounds absolutely silly asking this on a tech forum......BUUTTT.....

Have you checked Windows power settings?  What about any drivers that might control power?  I think I've seen some options in CCC regarding power on my Ryzen APU laptop.  Since the button seems to work sometimes and not others, and it works after a CMOS reset but stops working, its sounding to me like a driver or software "bug" that's getting turned back on once it boots.

And sometimes, the simplest answers can be overlooked. 🙂

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

Battery/Power Supply issues? Sometimes not enough battery level will stop the power button from turning on mine.Found out when using aftermarket brick.Would power up on it's own with lid open after sitting plugged in for hours, but not with the power button unless I left the lid closed for a couple days then tried the button.Different brick straightened that out.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pioneerisloud said:

I know it sounds absolutely silly asking this on a tech forum......BUUTTT.....

Have you checked Windows power settings?  What about any drivers that might control power?  I think I've seen some options in CCC regarding power on my Ryzen APU laptop.  Since the button seems to work sometimes and not others, and it works after a CMOS reset but stops working, its sounding to me like a driver or software "bug" that's getting turned back on once it boots.

And sometimes, the simplest answers can be overlooked. 🙂

Yea I checked that. I was also wondering if it could be some weird driver thing but reformatting didn't help. 

1 hour ago, schuck6566 said:

Battery/Power Supply issues? Sometimes not enough battery level will stop the power button from turning on mine.Found out when using aftermarket brick.Would power up on it's own with lid open after sitting plugged in for hours, but not with the power button unless I left the lid closed for a couple days then tried the button.Different brick straightened that out.

The bios has a battery health check and it says the battery is in excellent health. 

I also ran the Dell hardware diagnostic tool from the bios and it found no issues. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

I have had issues similar to this with a faulty charge circuit. I removed the battery altogether and only had the mains power in. Button would work normally for turning the laptop on and off. 

However upon re-introducing the battery, the problem would come back. I never finished fixing the laptop as customer found it silly to fix but my best guess was either a bad battery (Irrespective of what health check may say), or a faulty charge circuit creating a short of sorts.

• Thanks 1

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

34 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

I have had issues similar to this with a faulty charge circuit. I removed the battery altogether and only had the mains power in. Button would work normally for turning the laptop on and off. 

However upon re-introducing the battery, the problem would come back. I never finished fixing the laptop as customer found it silly to fix but my best guess was either a bad battery (Irrespective of what health check may say), or a faulty charge circuit creating a short of sorts.

I removed the battery and tried to turn it on with the charger plugged in and it didn't boot up windows, no video output. It turned on, but didn't boot and this was the only time the power button did actually turn it off when I held it down. After that it took a while before it would boot to windows again. 

Perhaps if I had persisted more before I reconnected the battery it would have eventually booted again and I could test that but this isn't the kind of battery that is supposed to be disconnected at will, it's under the bottom panel and connected with a cable directly to the mobo, and screwed in. 

I may try again though just out of curiosity... It's an interesting suggestion. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

15 hours ago, schuck6566 said:

It doesn't stop it from turning on, it turns on reliably but only from moving the lid and not from the power button at all. 

The customer only bought this laptop because the case on his other laptop is falling apart and I guess he thought that would be harder to fix but after talking to him about it he decided to order the parts for that laptop himself and he's dropping it off later for me to do the repair. Apparently, he moved here (CA) from Texas temporarily to do something related to rebuilding homes that burned down due to the recent fires so he is working like 24/7 since I assume he feels his work is very important. He probably thought the repair for his main laptop would take a lot longer, and normally I wouldn't order parts before having the laptop in hand just to avoid any mis match issues but since his work is demanding I walked him through finding the part himself so he can drop the laptop off with the part and the repair can get done quickly. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

Full Rig Info