Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Russia destroyed satellite creating debris field within ISS's orbital path

UltraMega

NASA officials are not pleased.

"I'm outraged by this irresponsible and destabilizing action," NASA Administrator Bill Nelson stated. "With its long and storied history in human spaceflight, it is unthinkable that Russia would endanger not only the American and international partner astronauts on the ISS but also their own cosmonauts."

WWW.TECHSPOT.COM

On Monday, Russia's space agency Roscosmos (Роскосмос) tweeted that it had astronauts in the International...

This debris is directly in the ISS's path and it will have to deal with this every ~90 minutes. 

Whatever Russia blew up, hope it was worth it. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

I feel like this is something that went horribly wrong. Russia had a huge part in building the ISS and still has a huge part involved in it today.

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

59 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I feel like this is something that went horribly wrong. Russia had a huge part in building the ISS and still has a huge part involved in it today.

Yea could be, but it seems pretty intentional since they launched a missile. I actually really have no idea why they would do this. The only reason I can think of is if it was some kind of spy satellite they didn't want anyone to see, but sounds like it had been up there a while so the logic of that doesn't make sense. 

Looks like it was a dead spy satellite + an anti satellite missile test. Makes me wonder if there was something more on that satellite than a spy camera, something they wouldn't want to be discovered like a missile. This article has more info and paints a worse situation that the article above:

COSMOSMAGAZINE.COM

“Irresponsible” Russian anti-satellite weapon sends shockwaves through space community, with debris likely to cause problems for years to come.

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

Full Rig Info

Just want to add, I've talked about Kessler syndrome before and how it could be a big deal. IMO the number of satellite is a big factor, but mostly the lack of rules and competing nations is the issue. When you have multiple nations all wanting to run their own version of star link and getting mad at each other for infringing on each other orbits, things are gonna be tense. 

• Thanks 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

21 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Just want to add, I've talked about Kessler syndrome before and how it could be a big deal. IMO the number of satellite is a big factor, but mostly the lack of rules and competing nations is the issue. When you have multiple nations all wanting to run their own version of star link and getting mad at each other for infringing on each other orbits, things are gonna be tense. 

Star Wars ?

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

I've learned a little more about this:

It was a spy satellite but a dead one from the 80s so it's unlikely there was anything too secretive on it. 

It was a test that they should have made a designated very low orbit target for but they didn't do that because it would have cost more. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

15 hours ago, UltraMega said:

I've learned a little more about this:

"It was a spy satellite but a dead one from the 80s so it's unlikely there was anything too secretive on it. "

This is a possible response to what was quoted...

WWW.WEARETHEMIGHTY.COM

Thirty-three years ago, the Star Wars program was easily the most elaborate and complex defense system ever conceived. Read about it...

On March 23, 1983, President Reagan proposed the creation of the Strategic Defense Initiative.

On 18/11/2021 at 12:01, schuck6566 said:

This is a possible response to what was quoted...

WWW.WEARETHEMIGHTY.COM

Thirty-three years ago, the Star Wars program was easily the most elaborate and complex defense system ever conceived. Read about it...

On March 23, 1983, President Reagan proposed the creation of the Strategic Defense Initiative.

I am aware of this but that program was aimed at shooting down ICBMs, not satellites. On top of that, as I understand it that program failed to produce meaningful results. 

Now days shooting down an ICBM would be simple with lasers, which is why we are seeing the development of super sonic stealth ICBMs now. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

15 hours ago, UltraMega said:

I am aware of this but that program was aimed at shooting down ICBMs, not satellites. On top of that, as I understand it that program failed to produce meaningful results. 

Now days shooting down an ICBM would be simple with lasers, which is why we are seeing the development of super sonic stealth ICBMs now. 

Was just saying there's no telling what was in a Russian Sat from the 80's when we were trying to get SDI off the ground. Paranoia ran deep in those days.

Edited by schuck6566

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
760 1,647
On 19/11/2021 at 16:18, UltraMega said:

...which is why we are seeing the development of supersonic stealth ICBMs now. 

if it were me, i'd probably ask why we are seeing the development of ANY new ICBMs these days.

but i don't really have a horse in that race.

14 hours ago, schuck6566 said:

Paranoia ran deep in those days.

there's probably just as many delusions these days as there were back then. not necessarily the same mind you, but likely just as problematic. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone from Russia! 🙂

I saw this discussion and could not pass by.
A lot of information from American news companies comes in a distorted form and does not reflect reality, so I would like to explain why Russia shot down its space satellite.
In the modern world, satellite is not only television, radio and metiarology, but also cruise missile adjustments, espionage and strike weapons.
1) Russia shot down its satellite not because it was not necessary, but in order to test a missile capable of shooting down enemy equipment.
2) The debris moves to a huge range and a different orbit and does not pose a threat to the ISS. What is the point of endangering an object in which a lot of money has been invested?
3) The media is a kind of weapon, the one who owns the minds of people owns the world.
4) Shooting down a satellite is a difficult task that China, India, USA and Russia are now capable of, so the United States really does not like it. If the US loses satellites as a result of an attack on Russia, they will go blind. Therefore, it is necessary to distort information about Russia and present it as "Evil Russians are again making evil plans"

Sorry for the English, I hardly speak it.
With love from siberia!

Edited by AndrewKey

7 hours ago, AndrewKey said:

Hello everyone from Russia! 🙂

I saw this discussion and could not pass by.
A lot of information from American news companies comes in a distorted form and does not reflect reality, so I would like to explain why Russia shot down its space satellite.
In the modern world, satellite is not only television, radio and metiarology, but also cruise missile adjustments, espionage and strike weapons.
1) Russia shot down its satellite not because it was not necessary, but in order to test a missile capable of shooting down enemy equipment.
2) The debris moves to a huge range and a different orbit and does not pose a threat to the ISS. What is the point of endangering an object in which a lot of money has been invested?
3) The media is a kind of weapon, the one who owns the minds of people owns the world.
4) Shooting down a satellite is a difficult task that China, India, USA and Russia are now capable of, so the United States really does not like it. If the US loses satellites as a result of an attack on Russia, they will go blind. Therefore, it is necessary to distort information about Russia and present it as "Evil Russians are again making evil plans"

Sorry for the English, I hardly speak it.
With love from siberia!

Appreciate the perspective but it's simple not accurate that what Russia did with this missile test was unproblematic. 

The US did test an anti satellite missile but it was a long time ago before much was known about the dangers of orbital debris. Only China and Russia have engaged in reckless anti satellite missile testing by using derelict satellites instead of designated targets when they should have known better. It's a fact that the ISS now has to perform avoidance maneuvers in order to avoid the risk of hitting debris caused by Russia, the media didn't make that up. 

When India tested their anti satellite missile they launched a designated target into a very low orbit so there would essentially be no debris. Russia on the other hand decided to use an old derelict satellites instead to save money and avoid having to create a safe target. 

I'm sure the media here paints a biased picture of Russia, but what Russia did was seriously irresponsible and they only did it this way to save money and/or send a political message.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/elon-musk-says-starlink-satellites-have-had-to-dodge-debris-from-russia-s-anti-satellite-missile-test/ar-AARjn6f?ocid=uxbndlbing&PC=EMMX01

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

Full Rig Info

AndrewKey there has a point.  The US media, while they might not be 100% fabricated points, they absolutely are using fear, even in this tech related news story.  Just look at all these words that inflict emotion, just in the quoted excerpt.  Nevermind the entire article.

They shot down a satellite.  Their own satellite.  Unless it really DOES pose a threat to the ISS, all these big scary emotional words really weren't necessary in the article.  The ISS is still up there.  I'm sure its completed a full orbit several times over since this happened.  It is what it is.  Or do we forget that there's probably tons and tons (literally) of space junk up there already that astronauts have to be mindful of?

NASA officials are not pleased.

"I'm outraged by this irresponsible and destabilizing action," NASA Administrator Bill Nelson stated. "With its long and storied history in human spaceflight, it is unthinkable that Russia would endanger not only the American and international partner astronauts on the ISS but also their own cosmonauts."

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

22 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

AndrewKey there has a point.  The US media, while they might not be 100% fabricated points, they absolutely are using fear, even in this tech related news story.  Just look at all these words that inflict emotion, just in the quoted excerpt.  Nevermind the entire article.

They shot down a satellite.  Their own satellite.  Unless it really DOES pose a threat to the ISS, all these big scary emotional words really weren't necessary in the article.  The ISS is still up there.  I'm sure its completed a full orbit several times over since this happened.  It is what it is.  Or do we forget that there's probably tons and tons (literally) of space junk up there already that astronauts have to be mindful of?

It's important to remember that NASA is not a political entity. It's a collection of literal rocket scientist. They don't fear monger.

The ISS (and apparently also star link satellites) are already performing avoidance maneuvers because of the debris left from the Russian test. 

This really isn't political. What Russia did was extremely irresponsible. 

When China did the same thing several years back, like Russia, China did not fully consider to consequences of space debris. Because of the debris they created, they were forced to rely on NASA to track the debris and relay that info to them so they could maneuver their own satellites out of the way of the debris they created.

It's easy to think the media is biased and therefore things are not what they seem, but that's simply not the case here. 

US media has a lot of issues but the reports on this are accurate. Russian media is state run so the logic of giving that any weight is non-existent. This orbital stuff is simple math and physics. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

Full Rig Info

Here is a good video on the subject from a guy who isn't natively American nor part of the media. His credentials: While studying at the University of Glasgow, Manley received a BSc (1990–1994) in physics and astronomy, and an MSc (1994–1995) in computational physics a year later.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mvdQcDDUV1o

Owned

Full Rig Info

19 hours ago, UltraMega said:

It's important to remember that NASA is not a political entity. It's a collection of literal rocket scientist. They don't fear monger.

NASA reports to the US government and is funded from the defense budget. NASA is not just rocket scientists and engineers, it is an important, strategic-military organization. For example, the GPS was originally created to guide cruise missiles at Soviet facilities (at me and my family). In a war, if Russia does not shoot down these satellites, then many people will die. The satellites are in high orbits, and if the rocket does not reach them, then there is no sense in its existence.
Let me remind you that it is not Russia that conducts exercises on the US borders, but the US exercises nuclear strikes against Russia on its borders.
Russia is not placing bioweapons labs in Mexico and Canada, but the United States in Georgia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan (nearest borders). We are defending ourselves against NATO and the United States, and the risks are justified.
-------------
I don’t want to offend or blame anyone, I am telling the point of view from the side of a resident of Russia.
Any media is propaganda, there are no bad or good in the world, everyone has their own motives.

2 hours ago, AndrewKey said:

NASA reports to the US government and is funded from the defense budget. NASA is not just rocket scientists and engineers, it is an important, strategic-military organization. For example, the GPS was originally created to guide cruise missiles at Soviet facilities (at me and my family). In a war, if Russia does not shoot down these satellites, then many people will die. The satellites are in high orbits, and if the rocket does not reach them, then there is no sense in its existence.
Let me remind you that it is not Russia that conducts exercises on the US borders, but the US exercises nuclear strikes against Russia on its borders.
Russia is not placing bioweapons labs in Mexico and Canada, but the United States in Georgia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan (nearest borders). We are defending ourselves against NATO and the United States, and the risks are justified.
-------------
I don’t want to offend or blame anyone, I am telling the point of view from the side of a resident of Russia.
Any media is propaganda, there are no bad or good in the world, everyone has their own motives.

This is not a site for political debate. This is about the satellite missile test, and the information I have presented about that here is accurate. 

Owned

Full Rig Info