Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Gamers Nexus Meeting with Newegg to Discuss Customer Service Issues

Steve Burke from Gamers Nexus recently purchased a Gigabyte motherboard from Newegg and opted for expedited shipping as he needed it quickly for a content piece. By the time it arrived, however, he had already sourced a different board and no longer needed the unit from Newegg so it was returned.

Something Burke didn’t notice when he placed the initial order was the fact it was an open box item, meaning it had been returned by someone else and deemed resellable by Newegg. Burke said he never opened the shipping box the board came in, much less its retail box. He submitted an RMA, shipped the package back and waited.

Newegg eventually e-mailed Burke and said the RMA was rejected due to bent pins on the CPU socket. Burke tried to resolve the matter through traditional customer support channels, but was unable to make any headway. It wasn’t until he used his platform on Twitter that Newegg suddenly became responsive and wanted to rectify the situation.

WWW.TECHSPOT.COM

Steve Burke from Gamers Nexus recently purchased a Gigabyte motherboard from Newegg and opted for expedited shipping as he needed it quickly for a content piece. By...

TLDR, Newegg has had some pretty questionable issues with Open Box returns lately. In this case Gamers Nexus bought a mobo that was Open Box but ended up never needing it and returned it without even opening the box it was shipped in, yet Newegg initially refused to issue a refund. Now he is going to meet with them in person to talk about what happened and soon there will be another video with that interview. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

I'll listen to what they have to say.  I'm still going to choose to buy my parts elsewhere until they straighten up over there though.  Seems like ever since they put in that marketplace thing to compete with Amazon, they've REALLY turned downhill.  It's almost as if they see their vendors doing shady things, so they think they too can get away with it or something, I dunno.

I'm still SUPER curious to hear their explanation to HOW that mix up even happened.  Watched the LTT video about that scandal the other night, and yeah.....doesn't seem like there's too terribly many possibilities on how that happened.  It really almost sounds as if it was purposeful, maybe not by newegg themselves but maybe an employee just trying to meet deadlines or reach certain "perks" in the job or something.  Either way, they need to fix it ASAP or they're going to go the way of Future Shop or TigerDirect soon.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

12 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

I'll listen to what they have to say.  I'm still going to choose to buy my parts elsewhere until they straighten up over there though.  Seems like ever since they put in that marketplace thing to compete with Amazon, they've REALLY turned downhill.  It's almost as if they see their vendors doing shady things, so they think they too can get away with it or something, I dunno.

I'm still SUPER curious to hear their explanation to HOW that mix up even happened.  Watched the LTT video about that scandal the other night, and yeah.....doesn't seem like there's too terribly many possibilities on how that happened.  It really almost sounds as if it was purposeful, maybe not by newegg themselves but maybe an employee just trying to meet deadlines or reach certain "perks" in the job or something.  Either way, they need to fix it ASAP or they're going to go the way of Future Shop or TigerDirect soon.

Yea I'm also super curious. I would love to see some footage of their RMA department, but I doubt we'll get that. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Just now, UltraMega said:

Yea I'm also super curious. I would love to see some footage of their RMA department, but I doubt we'll get that. 

Did you watch the LTT video by chance?  He brings up a very good point about potential "perks" the employees might strive for in the company.  He didn't know for sure since he doesn't work there, but its a very valid point for businesses like Newegg.  I know banks and call centers both have incentives once you meet certain metrics every pay period.  It's very possible the employees might have certain metrics they need to meet every day or week or whatever.  And those metrics COULD cause an employee to do shady things just to get his measly $50 bonus on his check or whatever it may be.

It could also be company policy.  I doubt that though because anything actual policy is in writing, and if they had what they did in writing......man oh man the lawsuits they'd face.  So I doubt its actual company policy directly.

It COULD just be a random rogue employee doing this type of thing.  But again, that's doubtful too since that employee "should" be fired pretty quickly if newegg actually cared about their customers and their policies and incentive programs weren't pushing for certain behaviors.

I dunno for sure though obviously.  Either way, its clear that this has been a regular problem and their business is tanking due to them catching GamersNexus with it and the story getting so much publicity.  Maybe GamersNexus can talk some sense into Newegg and fix whatever is causing this.  I can certainly hope (we all can). 🙂 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 minute ago, pioneerisloud said:

Did you watch the LTT video by chance?  He brings up a very good point about potential "perks" the employees might strive for in the company.  He didn't know for sure since he doesn't work there, but its a very valid point for businesses like Newegg.  I know banks and call centers both have incentives once you meet certain metrics every pay period.  It's very possible the employees might have certain metrics they need to meet every day or week or whatever.  And those metrics COULD cause an employee to do shady things just to get his measly $50 bonus on his check or whatever it may be.

It could also be company policy.  I doubt that though because anything actual policy is in writing, and if they had what they did in writing......man oh man the lawsuits they'd face.  So I doubt its actual company policy directly.

It COULD just be a random rogue employee doing this type of thing.  But again, that's doubtful too since that employee "should" be fired pretty quickly if newegg actually cared about their customers and their policies and incentive programs weren't pushing for certain behaviors.

I dunno for sure though obviously.  Either way, its clear that this has been a regular problem and their business is tanking due to them catching GamersNexus with it and the story getting so much publicity.  Maybe GamersNexus can talk some sense into Newegg and fix whatever is causing this.  I can certainly hope (we all can). 🙂 

I didn't see the LLT video, but it seems unlikely that they would apply perks to RMAs specifically. I think far more likely they just have crappy management that perhaps feels pressured to turn away as many RMAs as they can get away with and they pushed too far. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

13 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

I didn't see the LLT video, but it seems unlikely that they would apply perks to RMAs specifically. I think far more likely they just have crappy management that perhaps feels pressured to turn away as many RMAs as they can get away with and they pushed too far. 

That could be as well, yeah.

And I think I might be using the wrong word.  IIRC the last bank I worked at called it an "incentive program".  Basically the thought would be so many x% of RMA's end up being perfectly fine the customer just didn't want so they can resell those.  Which that in and of itself is fine.  If the RMA tech gets so many % of that type of RMA they'd get a bonus on their check or something.  IF, huge IF there, IF that was the case (or similar), I could see how an incentive program would cause an employee to pull shady RMA tactics so they get their bonus.

And no, it wouldn't be JUST their RMA program with an incentive program, it'd be across the entire business.  Customer service would probably get x% of their surveys need to be 5 eggs or something maybe to get their bonus.  Things like that.  All just examples, but its the general idea behind it.  Incentive programs are pretty common, and if they're written a certain way they absolutely can cause an employee to do illegal things just to get their little "bonus" on their paycheck.  I could tell you stories that'd make your blood boil after working in the banking industry for 4 years of how incentive programs "help" lol.

Edited by pioneerisloud

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

2 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

That could be as well, yeah.

And I think I might be using the wrong word.  IIRC the last bank I worked at called it an "incentive program".  Basically the thought would be so many x% of RMA's end up being perfectly fine the customer just didn't want so they can resell those.  Which that in and of itself is fine.  If the RMA tech gets so many % of that type of RMA they'd get a bonus on their check or something.  IF, huge IF there, IF that was the case (or similar), I could see how an incentive program would cause an employee to pull shady RMA tactics so they get their bonus.

And no, it wouldn't be JUST their RMA program with an incentive program, it'd be across the entire business.  Customer service would probably get x% of their surveys need to be 5 eggs or something maybe to get their bonus.  Things like that.  All just examples, but its the general idea behind it.  Incentive programs are pretty common, and if they're written a certain way they absolutely can cause an employee to do illegal things just to get their little "bonus" on their paycheck.  I could tell you stories that'd make your blood boil after working in the banking industry for 4 years of how incentive programs "help" lol.

Yea they probably do have some incentives for employees in some other areas, but I just can't see how it would apply to RMA even for a somewhat shady company. It would be REALLY shady if they did that for RMA. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

42 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

Yea they probably do have some incentives for employees in some other areas, but I just can't see how it would apply to RMA even for a somewhat shady company. It would be REALLY shady if they did that for RMA. 

Depends on how the incentive program is worded I suppose, legally.  I'm sure what they're doing is 110% legal according to the paperwork.  It's definitely not company policy to take a busted board in RMA and slap an "Open Box" sticker on it and send it back out the door.  However, it COULD be incentivized if an employee has certain metrics to meet and they just want to clock in, clock out, and get their paycheck with their weekly bonus on it.  Still could just be a rogue employee doing shady things too, or a bad manager or something.  We don't really know yet.

Definitely agree, the whole thing is shady all around.  I'm glad they're inviting GamersNexus in and willing to talk about it.  We'll just have to see how this whole mess turns out.  I absolutely hope its in favor of Newegg's customers, because they've been just this giant rock in the PC Hardware industry for the better part of 20+ years.  Probably why its such a huge story in the tech communities. :laugh_laugh:

Edited by pioneerisloud

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Could also be straight up incompetency but that would reflect a bad process allowing that to happen. Given the comments, sounds like this is not a one off case.

• Thanks 1

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 CL14)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 42" C4 OLED
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: E8400, i5-650, i7-870, i7-960, i5-2400, i7-4790k, i9-10900k, i3-13100, i9-13900ks
GPU: many
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P7P55 WS SC | ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

• Thanks 4

Owned

Full Rig Info

18 hours ago, UltraMega said:

:lachen:They messed around, and now they're about to find out is how I'm viewing this. :lachen:

Inb4 Newegg Tigerdirect's themselves up.

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

4 minutes ago, iamjanco said:

ha!

This just in:

2022-02-19_01-46-10.jpg.ea6ad0b87ac7deba09ee35a8e4cae35e.jpg

That's nice.  Still don't care, not my problem. :lachen:

Newegg needs to do a lot more than extend their "hassle free return policy".  I want to see policy updates or incentive program updates, whatever it was that caused employees to do these kind of shady things.  I want to see a resolution to the root of the problem, not a bandaid on a broken arm.

Until then, I'll keep my money away from them.

Edited by pioneerisloud

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

12 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

That's nice.  Still don't care, not my problem. :lachen:

Newegg needs to do a lot more than extend their "hassle free return policy".  I want to see policy updates or incentive program updates, whatever it was that caused employees to do these kind of shady things.  I want to see a resolution to the root of the problem, not a bandaid on a broken arm.

Agreed. Btw, just in case it's not obvious, I'm not promoting them, just the messenger. 😉

• Thanks 1

I watched the whole video. It definitely felt like Newegg was in damage control mode at the start, but it's good to see some positive actions come out of the meeting.

Since most of the guys Steve met with were fairly new to the company, I'm curious how much knowledge they have of what led to the current situation with all of their customers (not just Steve) as well as what the corporate culture was like prior to their arrival that played into their complacency and customer-unfriendly policies. Also, it remains to be seen whether there will be any actual change in the corporate culture.

Those VPs and directors need to be empowered to enact change themselves and the C-suite needs to promote proactive efforts to improve the customer experience across the organization instead of reacting when a YouTube channel as large as Gamers Nexus is victimized and has the resources to put things into focus.

It's good that they are trying to put out these fires rather than letting them burn out of control which is truly the absolute worst outcome, but they need to invest resources in collecting customer feedback and acting on it at the lowest levels. Otherwise, this type of thing is destined to happen again.

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

17 hours ago, mouacyk said:

I would to see Newegg restored to its former glory.  Do they though? Microcenter is too far away and Amazon has its own PR issues.

What HE said! lol, the 2 closest Micro Centers to me are roughly 250 miles away each. We're talking 4 hours EACH way that my wife would have to drive my epileptic azz.Unless I'mm taking her on a vacation to a nearby place where they are,I don't see it happening since she's also not in the best of health. They even closed the Best Buy in our town,now I'm limited to Walmart,Office Depot,or on line for parts.🙄

• Thanks 1

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
25 minutes ago, schuck6566 said:

250 miles away each. We're talking 4 hours EACH way

Same boat.  I struggle to not resent Micro Center and the folks that live close to one 🤣

• Thanks 1

TDM

Owned

CPU: 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: Dark Hero
GPU: Aorus 6900XT Extreme WF
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws V 64GB 3600 14-14-14-34
WC CPU BLOCK: Watercool Heatkiller IV
WC PUMP: XTOP Revo / FLT 120 + 3 D5's
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 Pro
CASE: Gutted Enthoo Pro 2
Full Rig Info

7 minutes ago, ArchStanton said:

Same boat.  I struggle to not resent Micro Center and the folks that live close to one 🤣

I was going to bring up how much of a shame it was that Fry's is gone, but even if the owners weren't stealing from the company, running it into the ground, and turning the stores into consignment outfits, it turns out they never had as big of a nationwide presence as Micro Center. Fry's was primarily in California and Texas.

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

46 minutes ago, ArchStanton said:

monkey-look-the-other-way.gif

• Thanks 2
  • Respect 1

Showcase

Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: E8400, i5-650, i7-870, i7-960, i5-2400, i7-4790k, i9-10900k, i3-13100, i9-13900ks
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P7P55 WS SC | ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

59 minutes ago, ArchStanton said:

I struggle with not resenting Micro Center for not being better with online purchases. I have one about an hour from me.....but I have to drive through the traffice epicenter of the US to get to it.

53 minutes ago, ciarlatano said:

I struggle with not resenting Micro Center for not being better with online purchases. I have one about an hour from me.....but I have to drive through the traffice epicenter of the US to get to it.

The one here in Denver is about 30 minutes from me with no traffic. Probably more like 40-45 mins in typical traffic. Not a place I'd go on the daily, but not too far away that I won't go there if I need to. They've saved my ass on more than one occasion. 

My only problem with them is where they put the store, they are in a high sales tax area, so it sometimes negates deals vs. just buying online...depending on if the online shop charges tax or not. I've noticed some do, some don't...and then of course shipping.

Edited by Sir Beregond

Showcase

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Diffident said:

I only live 7 miles from Microcenter.  It's really convenient.  😝

Or as my buddy says "its dangerous". His work moved offices and now he can see Micro Center from his window.

Showcase

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info