Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW,聽register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can:聽

  • Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premiumto unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 Vs Silent Wings 4 (PRO) comparison...


Recommended Posts

To all 馃檪

im having a bit a problem to find any test, reviews or comparisons聽of the Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 vs the Silent Wings 4 and Silent Wings 4 PRO in the 140mm version. There are some information's聽about the 120mm versions but not the聽140mm. Im聽 using the Silent聽wings 3 140mm as intake fans on the front and was wondering if there would be any gain with the new ones or just burned money?

As well i got kinda surprised聽that you will not find the Silent Wings 3 on their official page - feels like "we get rid of the history":sozo: lol..... I know you can find the data separate and glue it together but would be nice to see them in a direct comparison聽in the same environment聽(case, conditions ect..)

let me know if you found anything and please share.

Thank you very much!

MM

NoBodyKnow

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel i9-10900K @ 4.9 Ghz
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MEG Z490 Godlike
RAM: 32 GB - G Skill Trident GTRS (15-15-15-30 @2050 T2)
SSD/NVME: GIGABYTE GP-AG41TB 1TB
CASE: CaseLabs SM8
GPU: Radeon RX 6900 XT - XFX Merc 319
CPU COOLER: Thermalright Frost Comander 140
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could be BeQuiet phased out the SW3s because there was a problem with using the pwm versions with AquaComputer Aquaeros.

SW3 fans were originally designed by BeQuiet to be used with their cases, which included additional circuitry to "pull up" the pwm signals applied to them to 5 volt levels聽 (you couldn't control pwm SW3s using the Aquaero unless you added additional circuitry to raise pwm signal levels to 5V; a similar issue was experienced using pwm pumps with the Aquaero).聽 This was determined by IT DIVA on OCN, and she eventually designed an addon circuit that provided properly spec'd pullup resistance.聽

There's a rabbit hole for all that which begins right about here, back in 2014:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/pwm-d5-pump.1473190/#post-21971680

Anyway, AquaComputer eventually added similar circuitry to the SPLITTY9 Active and QUADRO products, which helped mitigate the problem down the road.

Edited by iamjanco
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/02/2023 at 10:18, iamjanco said:

Could be BeQuiet phased out the SW3s because there was a problem with using the pwm versions with AquaComputer Aquaeros.

SW3 fans were originally designed by BeQuiet to be used with their cases, which included additional circuitry to "pull up" the pwm signals applied to them to 5 volt levels聽 (you couldn't control pwm SW3s using the Aquaero unless you added additional circuitry to raise pwm signal levels to 5V; a similar issue was experienced using pwm pumps with the Aquaero).聽 This was determined by IT DIVA on OCN, and she eventually designed an addon circuit that provided properly spec'd pullup resistance.聽

There's a rabbit hole for all that which begins right about here, back in 2014:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/pwm-d5-pump.1473190/#post-21971680

Anyway, AquaComputer eventually added similar circuitry to the SPLITTY9 Active and QUADRO products, which helped mitigate the problem down the road.

that's interesting... exactly what i use 馃槃馃槃聽 Will for sure investigate聽a bit further... Thank you very much for that information, had no clue about that!

24E1508B-A727-4320-B0C9-C91F3A7CFA2A.thumb.jpeg.f4703ca4f959dfdba0904e9f631ce9cf.jpeg

But back to my original request:

- are there any comparisons / tests / reviews?聽 Anyone? Would a upgrade make sense/improve the setup?聽

Many thanks.

Edited by Memmento Mori
  • Respect 1

NoBodyKnow

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel i9-10900K @ 4.9 Ghz
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MEG Z490 Godlike
RAM: 32 GB - G Skill Trident GTRS (15-15-15-30 @2050 T2)
SSD/NVME: GIGABYTE GP-AG41TB 1TB
CASE: CaseLabs SM8
GPU: Radeon RX 6900 XT - XFX Merc 319
CPU COOLER: Thermalright Frost Comander 140
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe @PCSarge聽looked at the 140mm SW4's in his review here:聽https://reviews.extremehw.net/all-reviews/bequiet-silent-wings-pro-4-review/

  • Thanks 2
  • Respect 1

Showcase

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1 OLED
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sir Beregond said:

I believe @PCSarge聽looked at the 140mm SW4's in his review here:聽https://reviews.extremehw.net/all-reviews/bequiet-silent-wings-pro-4-review/

Yes, true, appreciate and like the review. But its not the information im looking for..聽

I know im looking for a needle in a ocean... Too specific, I get it,聽 but im kind of missing the point of all reviews so far. While in every CPU/GPU you get a comparison included to the predecessor: 10900K vs 11900K, 11900K vs 12900K and so on.... Same with GPUs. In my eyes this logic, makes sense, as well with the fans or anything which is "Evolved" ...聽 Just for the sake to show its an "Evolution" not "Devolution" .... or am I having a wrong conclusion/expectation?聽馃馃槄

Multiple Questions came to my mind as i saw the news about the new Silent Wings 4 (PRO):

1, Will it outperform the聽predecessor?

2, Will it improve the temps in my PC?

3, if yes and yes - will it be enough to replace the old with new?聽

If im looking at it form the wrong perspective, then please correct me...聽

Thank you very much.聽:happy_innocent1:

Edited by Memmento Mori
  • Thanks 1

NoBodyKnow

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel i9-10900K @ 4.9 Ghz
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MEG Z490 Godlike
RAM: 32 GB - G Skill Trident GTRS (15-15-15-30 @2050 T2)
SSD/NVME: GIGABYTE GP-AG41TB 1TB
CASE: CaseLabs SM8
GPU: Radeon RX 6900 XT - XFX Merc 319
CPU COOLER: Thermalright Frost Comander 140
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Memmento Mori said:

Yes, true, appreciate and like the review. But its not the information im looking for..聽

I know im looking for a needle in a ocean... Too specific, I get it,聽 but im kind of missing the point of all reviews so far. While in every CPU/GPU you get a comparison included to the predecessor: 10900K vs 11900K, 11900K vs 12900K and so on.... Same with GPUs. In my eyes this logic, makes sense, as well with the fans or anything which is "Evolved" ...聽 Just for the sake to show its an "Evolution" not "Devolution" .... or am I having a wrong conclusion/expectation?聽馃馃槄

Multiple Questions came to my mind as i saw the news about the new Silent Wings 4 (PRO):

1, Will it outperform the聽predecessor?

2, Will it improve the temps in my PC?

3, if yes and yes - will it be enough to replace the old with new?聽

If im looking at it form the wrong perspective, then please correct me...聽

Thank you very much.聽:happy_innocent1:

Well if you have review questions, probably talk to @Avacado. Keep in mind not everyone necessarily has the specific comparisons you may be looking for.

In terms of SW3 vs SW4, I don't know. I haven't searched that data myself.

  • Respect 1

Showcase

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1 OLED
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have plenty of SW3's but I do not have any SW4's. My understanding from @PCSargeis that the SW4 Pros are REALLY beefy. I wouldn't expect them to decrease temps by 5c or anything like that, but 1-2c improvement over SW3's is possible.聽

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, iamjanco said:

I still use the pwm SW3s myself (got about 60 or so of them, 120s and 140s)

obama-wtf.gif

  • Thanks 2
  • Respect 1

1337.69

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel i9 10900K @ 51/47 1.26v
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z590 Maximus XIII Hero
RAM: G.Skill DDR4-4266 CL17 32GB @ 4300 15-16-16-35 2T 1.55v
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3080 Ti
SSD/NVME: Team Group MP34 4TB NVMe + WD Blue 4TB SATA SSD
CPU COOLER: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Noctua iPPC 3000
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1000W
CASE: Fractal Design Meshify S2
Full Rig Info

420.42

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @ 47/43 1.22v
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock Z390 Taichi
RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 CL16 64GB @ 3200 16-20-20-38 1T 1.35v
SSD/NVME: SN850 1TB + HP EX950 2TB + SX8200 2TB NVMe
HDD: 4x Seagate Exos X16 14TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
OTHER: LSI Logic 9207-8i
NETWORK: Intel X540 10 GbE
Full Rig Info

$600

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 7 5825U
MOTHERBOARD: SFX14-42G-R607
RAM: 16GB LPDDR4-4266
SSD/NVME: SK Hynix P31 Gold 2TB M.2 NVME
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung PM991a 512GB M.2 NVME
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti 4GB 35W @ 55W
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
OPERATING SYSTEM 2: Debian 12.5 KDE
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Running 9 of the SW3 High Speed PWM's too. Good performance. I don't see a reason to upgrade them to SW4's. But I could see switching them out for T-30's if space permits.

  • Thanks 1

Showcase

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1 OLED
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy