Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Pro drivers vs Adrenaline drivers for 6900xt

Minotaurtoo
4 Attachments

Pro driver vs Adrenaline for media server with 6900xt  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you use? Pro or Adrenaline

• Adrenaline
    • Pro

I recently had an issue with a beta driver from AMD that caused blue screen after blue screen... restart, blue screen... try to change sound output device, blue screen... try to change fan settings in Adrenaline, blue screen...

Naturally I DDU'd the system to reinstall known good drivers... problem was I forgot to download them first... so I went online and just chose the auto detect tool... it suggested the Pro 23.Q3.1 drivers... since I mostly use this system for a media server/DVR with a side of gaming, I thought "what the heck" and let it install them... so far so good...

Question is, What is your opinion of this?  Good idea? or am I asking for a problem later... 

Hardware shortlist, in case it matters:

ref 6900xt

TUF GAMING B550-PLUS

5950X

I voted Adrenaline drivers, only because I've never tried the Pro drivers on the 6900XT.  Although, I don't think there'd be "much" of a difference?  The modded drivers for older GCN based cards tend to use the Pro drivers.  And those modded drivers work quite well.  Not a 6900XT, no.  To me though, once I find a driver that works, I tend to stick with it till it doesn't work right anymore.  If its not broke, don't fix it. 🙂  

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, pioneerisloud said:

I voted Adrenaline drivers, only because I've never tried the Pro drivers on the 6900XT.  Although, I don't think there'd be "much" of a difference?  The modded drivers for older GCN based cards tend to use the Pro drivers.  And those modded drivers work quite well.  Not a 6900XT, no.  To me though, once I find a driver that works, I tend to stick with it till it doesn't work right anymore.  If its not broke, don't fix it. 🙂  

been testing it out today, one thing that seems to work better is having multiple live TV channels playing at the same time with SichboPVR... before when recording on multiple channels while playing multiple streams it would get nearly unwatchable...now it's only occasional glitches... Will see how gaming works out after it cools off a bit.. hit near 90 today.  Also will test out folding later...

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead

I have 5950x and 6900xt and whenever I fold on the 5950x it crashes. It's a known problem with these for some reason. I tried both pro, whql, and adrenaline thinking it was my 6900xt. Increased my psu, put bios in default settings, nothing helped. I finally found some some posts and someone mentioned only folding on one of the chiplets using process lasso. I'm testing that this weekend. So far no crash. We'll see.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

Using pro on my vega frontier. I need to tweak some file to be able to run the radeon one. I think the only difference is it optimised to be more stable and don't allow any overclocking.

• Thanks 1

Owned

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info

Ok, after a few days of testing the one annoying thing that seems to be related to the pro drivers is... sleep not working correctly... first the thing would instantly wake back up... then after I sorted that out, it would only sleep if commanded too by me... sleep timers would just hang... so I decided to go back to Adrenaline drivers to test them to be sure... so far it is working.  The error I was getting was a service manager timeout error if anyone is interested.  So far so good on the new Adrenaline install...

On 23/09/2023 at 22:09, damric said:

I have 5950x and 6900xt and whenever I fold on the 5950x it crashes. It's a known problem with these for some reason. I tried both pro, whql, and adrenaline thinking it was my 6900xt. Increased my psu, put bios in default settings, nothing helped. I finally found some some posts and someone mentioned only folding on one of the chiplets using process lasso. I'm testing that this weekend. So far no crash. We'll see.

I meant to reply to this earlier, I found that when folding on the 5950x, turning off the smart access memory keeps it from crashing... I do this a bios level.

• Thanks 1

Have you tried 3rd Party Drivers?

Through several updates, I've had excellent luck with RdN.ID / AmernimeZone (NimeZ) drivers.

On my Vega(s).

RdN.ID @Sourceforge WHQL-AMD-Software-Hybrid-Edition-23.9.3

WWW.AMERNIMEZONE.COM

3rd Party AMD GPU Drivers with Customizable Tweaks

It'll also let you chose 'branding' and 'feature level' through the setup-configurator. 

1.thumb.JPG.d8e980a06cfa6bdd489f228ff748b99c.JPG

2a.thumb.jpg.84aa32d3c16078751a74b237a9bfda90.jpg

3.thumb.JPG.0d79b5ef5a523a8b2b2c24c7a9d27a93.JPG

Edited by LabRat
  • Thanks 1

Am having issue with the pro driver on the vega frontier. Gaming work great and vr. But the desktop is blurry even in 4k and scaling always revert back to smaller than the display even tho i change setting and save.

No idea if the radeon tweaked driver would work better. But it weird.

• Thanks 1

Owned

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info

• 2 months later...
On 23/09/2023 at 22:09, damric said:

@damricout of curiosity, did that prove to work out?  I tried a simple trick based on your idea that seems to work for me with SAM enabled... I first tested to see if the problem still existed, by folding under default settings with SAM enabled... and it did.  Then I manually set the cpu slot to 8 threads... no crash... ok, then added another 8 thread slot... no crash... added a third... still no crash.  I folded the last foldathon with 1 gpu slot and 3 cpu slots, no crash... I did have to turn it off due to heating up the room too much on occasion, but with it in auto, it wouldn't last 4 hours before a crash...  At this moment I'm still testing, but so far no crash as long as I don't have a single cpu slot over 8 threads.

30 minutes ago, Minotaurtoo said:

@damricout of curiosity, did that prove to work out?  I tried a simple trick based on your idea that seems to work for me with SAM enabled... I first tested to see if the problem still existed, by folding under default settings with SAM enabled... and it did.  Then I manually set the cpu slot to 8 threads... no crash... ok, then added another 8 thread slot... no crash... added a third... still no crash.  I folded the last foldathon with 1 gpu slot and 3 cpu slots, no crash... I did have to turn it off due to heating up the room too much on occasion, but with it in auto, it wouldn't last 4 hours before a crash...  At this moment I'm still testing, but so far no crash as long as I don't have a single cpu slot over 8 threads.

yeah so far I'm having no crashes when I process lasso the CPU folding to one chiplet and assign the other other folding processes to the other chiplet like the stuff that controls the GPU folding. I am not so good at software so I just experimented to see what crashes. I am going to test and hope that I can assign more cores via the lasso and still not crash. When I let windows load the cores it eventually crashes. I don't know if it doesn't like crossing the chiplets or if it is the on/off nature of how windows assigns workloads or what.

when I get a chance I'll take some screenshots of how I setup process lasso. I am using the freebie version that makes you wait 10 seconds before changing things.

Edited by damric
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

Ok so this configuration has been stable for me for a while now:

image.thumb.jpeg.90c0e1d4461545d4bd4c3d97ca1c9d90.jpeg

I'm going to see if I can get more cores folding. I'd really like to get 24-28 logical cores going if I can.

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned