Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

League of Legends adds unpopular TPM 2.0 requirement: Vanguard anti-cheat update irks fanbase after Windows 11

Posted (edited)

Riot Games announced that it would implement Vanguard anti-cheat software in League of Legends (LoL) in late February or early March 2024. It eventually did so in LoL’s Patch 14.9, which Riot released on May 1. However, this change has caused some players to get the VAN9001 error and prevented them from playing the game.

The development team knew the new software implementation would be a big issue with its player base, so they wrote an in-depth explanation of anti-cheat, Vanguard, and LoL about three weeks ago on the League of Legends blog. Nevertheless, many were still caught by surprise, especially those who bypassed the TPM 2.0 requirements when upgrading to Windows 11.

I haven't seen this discussed here, but I thought maybe we should talk about always on kernal level anti-cheat software.  As someone with an interest in information security, this is  something I will never allow on my system.  My league account has had over $350 spent on it, if I'd known this would happen I would never have spent a dime.  I have never touched Valorant for similar reasons. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Agreed 1

Premium Gold
277 276

In the same vein and out of pure curiosity because I too believe we're venturing farther and further into the digital abyss..... 

What is a good anti-cheat solution, for modern day deployment?

Seeing how rampant cheating has been across multitudes of games/platforms it does affect those of us who choose to play... without digital cheating aid. 

Reviewer
1.6k 1,727
1 hour ago, GanjaSMK said:

In the same vein and out of pure curiosity because I too believe we're venturing farther and further into the digital abyss..... 

What is a good anti-cheat solution, for modern day deployment?

Seeing how rampant cheating has been across multitudes of games/platforms it does affect those of us who choose to play... without digital cheating aid. 

A lot of GoG titles don't seem to have this cheating issue.........

Granted, they're not major social networking games like LoL or Fortnite, or whatever popular garbage of today either.

I have zero problems just doing away with "anti-cheat" software all together.  Get us back to dedicated servers, where server admins can just kick or ban cheating players, problem solved.  Put the power of anti cheat BACK into the player's hands.  My opinion anyway, since cheaters will always cheat, hackers will always hack.  Obviously these software solutions aren't working, and neither is DRM.

• Agreed 4

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

Premium Bronze
234 275

Trash solution from a trash game company.

The entire thing can be circumvented by running Windows 10. That's the worst part about this half-baked idea. Force honest players to jump through hoops while the cheaters, who we can presume are more tech-savvy, have a mere speed bump of an easy circumvention.

About a decade ago, I quit LoL after being on the winning side of an ARAM game and getting 1 game above .500 in that mode to never play again. The game had its moments and one of my best gaming memories even came from that game, but on the whole, it was tedious and unfun largely due to the constant meddling by the devs nerfing everything to death, and I was a support main of all roles.

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

• UltraMega changed the title to League of Legends adds unpopular TPM 2.0 requirement: Vanguard anti-cheat update irks fanbase after Windows 11
News Editor
2.4k 1,313

I didn't know anti-cheat could make use of TPM. That is a revalation on its own. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Premium Bronze
825 628
7 hours ago, pio said:

A lot of GoG titles don't seem to have this cheating issue.........

Granted, they're not major social networking games like LoL or Fortnite, or whatever popular garbage of today either.

I have zero problems just doing away with "anti-cheat" software all together.  Get us back to dedicated servers, where server admins can just kick or ban cheating players, problem solved.  Put the power of anti cheat BACK into the player's hands.  My opinion anyway, since cheaters will always cheat, hackers will always hack.  Obviously these software solutions aren't working, and neither is DRM.

Wait,you want the PEOPLE at the game companies to do the work? The ones at Bungie can't even manage regular server maint without having something in the game get broken,and these are the people you expect to monitor the game LIVE?

Screenshot_940.jpg

Screenshot_941.jpg

• Agreed 1

Reviewer
1.6k 1,727
14 hours ago, schuck6566 said:

Wait,you want the PEOPLE at the game companies to do the work? The ones at Bungie can't even manage regular server maint without having something in the game get broken,and these are the people you expect to monitor the game LIVE?

Screenshot_940.jpg

Screenshot_941.jpg

No.............

I want the people who play and own the games to do the work, like it used to be (which worked for many many years).   Dedicated servers like source engine or COD4, where the gamers run the servers.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

I agree Pio.

You'll always have cheaters and hackers and what ends up happening is that the legitimate players just get forced through so many hoops with various DRM, or in this case, new hardware requirements, that in the end never actually do anything to stop the cheaters and hackers, but does everything to punish the legit players that they often just give up on the game.

Go back to dedicated servers managed by the players themselves. Have hackers? Ban 'em. Want a dedicated hacker/cheater server? Fine.

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

Content Creator
282 241
On 07/05/2024 at 15:19, pio said:

No.............

I want the people who play and own the games to do the work, like it used to be (which worked for many many years).   Dedicated servers like source engine or COD4, where the gamers run the servers.

Making me feel nostalgic about hosting servers during class in Highschool or the multitude of Quake 3 online tournies I used to play....

Honestly, online gaming has been dead to me for ages now. The only online gaming I play is co-op with friends that's PvE (eg: D4, Minecraft, etc), the odd RTS (seems like theres way less cheating there) or racing (iRacing, AC, etc). - otherwise I just focus on story-driven games. My time is too short to be playing with kids shouting into $4 alibaba headsets the latest meme words.

• Agreed 4

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: Asus X670E Hero (pls EVGA make an AMD mobo)
RAM: G.Skill 64GB @ 6000Mhz
GPU: RTX 4090 Strix OC
SSD/NVME: 2x SN850X 4TB | 1x 970 Pro 0.5TB
MONITOR: Something OLED, 120hz and 42-48"
WC RADIATOR: MO-RA3 420 | HeatKiller 360S
WC CPU BLOCK: Heatkiller IV Pro
Full Rig Info

Owned

AUDIO: Topping DX7 Pro
AUDIO 2: Sennheiser HD800S
AUDIO 3: Sennheiser HD650
AUDIO 4: Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC