Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

AMD's gaming graphics business looks like it's in terminal decline

Administrators
6k 3,084

For the first quarter of 2024, AMD said that its gaming revenues were down a massive 48% compared to the same period in 2023. While some of that fall reflects an inevitable cyclical downturn in revenues from games consoles—put simply, the consoles have been out for a while and sales are beginning to flag—AMD also conceded that "lower AMD Radeon GPU sales" were also to blame

Source 

Interesting take. I must say that I can at least agree with RDNA 4 comments. I do believe that AMD are sticking to GDDR6 for RDNA 4 which is a clear cost saving measure but could also be seen as a lack of confidence in the GPU line to push for the use of newer technologies. 

Do I think AMD will leave the gaming segment, no. But I do believe they could just keep their focus on the midrange and leave high end/halo specifically for prosumer/machine learning.

• Thanks 1

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Reviewer
1.6k 1,759

I'll just say this, my 7900XTX is a wonderful GPU.  I definitely have typical "brand new AMD" bugs, which I hate to admit being that I enjoy the card so much.  Their software is honestly pretty great too...........when it works.  My 6900XT doesn't have anywhere near the issues the 7900 has, so I know its a weird architecture bug of some kind I'm having.  It'd be a shame to see AMD drop out of the graphics business, they've been at it for decades.  I don't think they'll be leaving either.

They HAVE admitted recently (I think we have the article somewhere) that they were going to focus more on the midrange type cards.  They have also admitted recently to bringing back multi-GPU, to an extent.  I get the feeling they're going to release a midrange card, and use their crossfire knowledge and capabilities to make on PCB or maybe even on die multi GPU to make their higher end cards.  That's my guess.  Totally 100% my own opinion and guess on the situation.  Just seems like that might be the direction they're headed.

• Agreed 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

Posted (edited)

Consoles sales declining are a huge factor here, but it makes sense that AMD would be falling behind since their GPUs don't really have any AI specific feature. I suspect the 7000 series will be the last gen from AMD that lacks more dedicated hardware for stuff like AI or RT. Right now Nvidia can sell RTX GPUs to gamers and anyone looking to run some AI, but AMD isn't there yet. Once they are, I'm sure their gaming revenue will normalize somewhat. For now, this just points out what we already know; AI hardware is becoming more important and AMD is behind on integrating AI hardware into their GPUs. 

Nvidia's gaming revenue was flat last quarter. Seems reasonable to assume if AI wasn't propping up sales of RTX GPUs, Nvidia would also be seeing a decline.

There just isn't really enough compelling reasons to buy a new gaming GPU or console these days with so few big budget games of significant quality being released. Apparently Square Enix lost $200 million on the Suicide Squad game and that was after the Justice League game flopped. I guess they needed to be beat over the head with it until they realized people don't want games filled with more buzz words than quality content. So long as big dev studios are losing money by releasing games full of micro transactions and live service crap that no one asked for, the gaming market will suffer. Can't have a healthy gaming market without good games. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

I dislike these clickbait headlines.  AMD has chosen to focus on the most lucrative segment of the market, which has traditionally been more of the entry level to mid range GPUs.  There's a real demand for graphics cards that preform well in the $500 range.  Let's not forget, 2023 was still riding the coat tails of the crypto mining boom.  2024 we are well into a recession, with everyone having raised prices and people are feeling it.

Nvidia is dominating due to AI and AMD would be wise to spend their R&D budget in developing the next revolutionary tech.  Power grids are the real AI limiting factor and they take far longer to build out and expand than anything else.  Designing more power efficient AI chips could easily challenge Nvidia's 2.25 Trillion dollar valuation. 

• Agreed 5

Premium Gold
278 279

We're so power deficient at large scale it's almost unbelievable IMHO. I really, really hope that guy who has proven working thrust without propellant will receive enough initial funding to further research beyond the intended use case (escaping gravity/high-thrust-extremely-low-input). 

He even mentions (in somewhat obvious thoughtful nature) how this technology (and not completely understood fully) could breach many of our limiting factors in energy production. He alludes to other possibilities as well if the technology is applicable in specific states (loosely).   

It's like in another thread on UE5 update where improvement is made at software level allowing utilization of existing hardware. We don't need rapid improvement of physical technicality IMHO, we need better code/implementations. :confused_frusty2:

• Agreed 3

Administrators
6k 3,084
21 hours ago, GanjaSMK said:

We're so power deficient at large scale it's almost unbelievable IMHO. I really, really hope that guy who has proven working thrust without propellant will receive enough initial funding to further research beyond the intended use case (escaping gravity/high-thrust-extremely-low-input). 

He even mentions (in somewhat obvious thoughtful nature) how this technology (and not completely understood fully) could breach many of our limiting factors in energy production. He alludes to other possibilities as well if the technology is applicable in specific states (loosely).   

It's like in another thread on UE5 update where improvement is made at software level allowing utilization of existing hardware. We don't need rapid improvement of physical technicality IMHO, we need better code/implementations. :confused_frusty2:

There is no doubt that well coded software that leverages hardware efficiently can be a massive game changer, no pun intended. 

• Agreed 2

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
1.1k 531

This is not surprising tbh, the sale of all luxury goods is in massive decline recently.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't the first time AMD has tried just focusing on the "sweet spot" market. It's not a bad thing per se as that segment needs some love, but big picture it never pans out well for the consumer in the grand scheme of things. This is when Nvidia gets emboldened to further raise prices and cut corners because who is there to challenge them and promote price wars? And AMD has easily shown (at least on launch) that they will just slot into whatever pricing structure Nvidia creates.

We can pretend it's not a thing, but what happens at the high end / halo part of a product stack every gen absolutely influences the rest of the stack, consumer perception of a brand, etc.

To me this just screams more AMD falling behind because they don't want to pump resources into graphics to truly compete with Nvidia here. That's not good for anyone.

• Agreed 2

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 42" C4 OLED
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey