Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Windows 11 set to warn users if their PC shouldn’t be running the OS

ENTERPRISE

Windows 11 can currently be installed on PCs which don’t meet the official system requirements, but Microsoft doesn’t recommend this course of action – and has taken new steps in a preview build to add a further warning against doing so.To recap, Windows 11 can be run on a system which doesn’t officially support the OS, but Microsoft has previously cautioned about possible ‘damage’ to a system in this scenario, and noted that vital security updates may not be provided to such PCs either – even though said updates are still delivered to these devices.

Source 

Like a dog with a bone. They really do not want the OS running on perfectly good systems do they. 

• Thanks 3

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

-_-

Yeah, they REALLY don't want you to use those older systems that still work.  Make sure you get in line to buy your next new Intel / AMD rig just in time for Windows 11 folks!  :lachen:

These arbitrary requirements make absolutely no sense.  There's absolutely no reason any CPU should be knocked out from any of these OS's when older CPU's are usually stronger than stuff they're allowing to be used (like Atoms vs say a Q6600).

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

No wonder adoption rates are super abysmal, they try to pull moves like this heh

$$$

Owned

CPU: [AMD] 5900X
MOTHERBOARD: [Asus] ROG Strix b550-F GAMING
RAM: [G.Skill] Ripjaws V 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3600 CL16
GPU: [MSI] RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X PLUS
PSU: [EVGA] SuperNOVA 750 GT Full Modular
SSD/NVME: [Samsung] 980 pro 500GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Arch Linux x86_64 w/ AwesomeWM
CASE: [Fractal] Meshify C
Full Rig Info

$380

Owned

CPU: [Intel] i7 6600U
CASE: [Lenovo] Thinkpad x260
RAM: [SK Hynix] 16GB DDR4 2133 (single channel boo!)
SSD/NVME: [Samsung] 850 evo 250GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Arch Linux x86_64 w/ AwesomeWM
MONITOR: [Generic] 1080p IPS after-market Panel
Full Rig Info

8 hours ago, pioneerisloud said:

-_-

Yeah, they REALLY don't want you to use those older systems that still work.  Make sure you get in line to buy your next new Intel / AMD rig just in time for Windows 11 folks!  :lachen:

These arbitrary requirements make absolutely no sense.  There's absolutely no reason any CPU should be knocked out from any of these OS's when older CPU's are usually stronger than stuff they're allowing to be used (like Atoms vs say a Q6600).

I'm really on the fence about this, just because a system CAN run an OS doesn't mean it should by any means. If a system that takes minutes to open a program or browser page gets an update that draws even MORE resources and crashes,the first thing that'll happen is the users will be screaming "The UPDATE broke my computer!" when what really happened was it finally had a stroke.

The systems I have here "

"are running Windows 10 and really shouldn't be.They'd be doing much better with a version of linux(I'll probably end up with mint on the notebook @ least). They DON'T qualify for Windows 11 and I can say it's a relief because if they did I'd try to run it just to see.

When does a company finally say "Enough,we can't carry your old ass anymore,you need to go to the old cpu's home." (before anyone gets offended,the wife & I are both over 55. lol )

Nvidia ended support for older video cards, Now Microsoft seems to be ending support for older cpu's.

I was upset at first that my i7 2600 wasn't going to be covered,but then I realized it's already over 10 years old,and will see the EOL of not 1 but 2 Operating Systems(7 that came installed,and 10 as the upgrade)so I think they gave me my money's worth for the OS on that cpu.

• Thanks 1

Social Media Manager
1.4k 815

My temporary fx 6100 got an hard time making windows update with 50-75% cpu usage i even disable defender because it use 25% doing the update.

Just clocked the dang thing at 1.55v for 4.8 😆 now it run ways smoother. 1.58v under load

Newer Intel N5095 with 15w almost perform the same as an fx 8300 in Passmark.

Restricting hardware choice like apple do with phone instead of android having 2m phone model. Can improve software performance optimisation and stability.

• Thanks 1

Owned

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info

i still say let at least the first 5 generations intel i3/i5/i7 of CPUs go RIP along with AMDs older models. if you're still on one your waaaay past your upgrade mark and need to actually do it.

microsoft is doing this more to force big corperations to upgrade than anything. hell when i worked in LGs warehouse 2 years ago they were still just STARTING to upgrade old core2quad systems with windows XP still running. company upgraded tech adoption is abysmal, doing this forces it upon them if they want OS security.

in personal opinion that is of course. i'm not sure if thats the end game but it seems like it

Edited by PCSarge
  • Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: AMD R7 7800X3D
GPU: AMD RX Sapphire 7800XT Pure
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B650M Project Zero
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 32-38-38 @ 6200mhz
SSD/NVME: Sabrent Rocket NVMe 500GB (Windows)
SSD/NVME 2: WD Black SN850X 4TB (Games)
SSD/NVME 3: Cruicial MX 500 2TB (Programs)
SSD/NVME 4: Crucial MX 300 1TB (Documents/Downloads)
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Xeon 5345 @ 2.3GHZ
CPU 2: Xeon 5345 @ 2.3GHZ
MOTHERBOARD: Intel S5000PSL E-ATX
RAM: 32GB Hynix ECC DDR2 667Mhz
CPU COOLER: 2x Dynatron 2U Heatsinks
SSD/NVME: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: Seagate Firecuda Compute 2TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Winodws Server 2019 Standard
Full Rig Info

When I first read this, I was thinking that it was another anti-consumer move by the Windows dev team, but after reading the actual tweet quoted in the article, I don't think there's much to make of this provided that their notifications don't become more obtrusive like the damn Get Windows 10 campaign was on Windows 7. This is a single line of text in system settings, not a desktop notification popup or an activation message in place of your wallpaper.

From a software point of view, the challenge is not that far removed from legacy corporations and computer dummies in general who were stuck on Internet Explorer for the longest time preventing web-based software development from evolving. Obviously, CPUs, their instruction sets, chipsets, motherboards, and connected peripherals are drastically different from web browsers in that their technology stack is far less quickly evolving, but they do represent additional tests that QA teams need to run. It becomes a hindrance once you exceed a certain threshold, and in this case, they've chosen the age of the hardware rather than its performance.

Not that there was ever any scenario where I would want Windows 11 on my current machine, but it's hard for me to get upset about this considering that I've had my motherboard for a personal best of nearly 11 years. After being okay with Windows updates for several years until one caused a boot problem and forced me to use System Restore, I'm fine with not updating my OS as long as there are no major issues or limitations from not doing so.

• Respect 1

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

To everybody saying that businesses and the like need to upgrade, I have a question.  Why would a business NEED to upgrade?  If a Core 2 Duo can do what the business needs the system to do, why would the business want to waste the money, potentially thousands or hundreds of thousands?  I mean most business uses are web based, office based, or other such lite usage.  Why would a business want to waste money when a business is in it to make profit?

Don't get me wrong, where upgrading makes sense by all means upgrade.  

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Windows has a problem that Linux doesn't have. It is selling uniformity and assurance for plug-and-play, and therefore is limited by how they build their binaries for release.  Too relaxed optimizations and specialized hardware end up sitting idle. Too optimized then low-end/old hardware just can't run it.  Linux offers various levels of optimized binaries, and then the source code.  It would be a support nightmare for Windows to attempt just the first offering.

7 hours ago, pioneerisloud said:

To everybody saying that businesses and the like need to upgrade, I have a question.  Why would a business NEED to upgrade?  If a Core 2 Duo can do what the business needs the system to do, why would the business want to waste the money, potentially thousands or hundreds of thousands?  I mean most business uses are web based, office based, or other such lite usage.  Why would a business want to waste money when a business is in it to make profit?

Don't get me wrong, where upgrading makes sense by all means upgrade.  

It's not about the hardware. Businesses should not be on Windows XP still in 2022. My guess is that's what those C2D and C2Q machines are running.

Anyway, at a certain point it does make sense to drop support for stuff that's 15+ years old.

Edited by Sir Beregond
  • Thanks 1

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

7 hours ago, Sir Beregond said:

It's not about the hardware. Businesses should not be on Windows XP still in 2022. My guess is that's what those C2D and C2Q machines are running.

Anyway, at a certain point it does make sense to drop support for stuff that's 15+ years old.

Our perception of time is subject to recency bias and new developments in instruction sets have plateaued so 15-year-old equipment almost sounds reasonable. Until you realize it isn't.

15 years ago in 2022 is 2007. We had Intel Core 2 and AMD Phenom single-threaded, multi-core x64 CPUs. Still kind of usable, if only because of SATA SSDs, even though you'd be limited to 3 Gbps throughput and you can forget about any CPU-intensive performance seeing how meager they've benchmarked in our CPU-Z competition. Either way, not a very good user experience.

15 years ago in 2007 is 1992. We had the 486. Not usable in 2007.

As an enterprise employee in software development, I get disgusted with companies that choose not to invest in their hardware and software, especially if for some reason they've taken to buying their hardware and software outright instead of leasing it. In 2020, I had to scrounge together three matching 22" 1080p TN monitors from 2006-07 that only had VGA and DVI connections and rather than wait for IT approval, I chose to buy my own HDMI-DVI adapters to make them work with the i7-4790 workstation that was purchased for me in 2015. I also had to have special permission to get a damn SSD installed in that workstation after two consecutive dead hard drives, both of which were already well-used before I got them. That SSD upgrade took close to a month because of IT's knuckledragging, during which time I used my own personal laptop for work.

Since 2021, I've had brand new MacBook Pros sent to me prior to day one with two different companies. Point being, I don't believe software companies like Microsoft should go out of their way to support businesses that pinch pennies and don't accept that regular software and hardware updates should be a normal expense of running a business.

If on the other hand, we're talking about a mom-and-pop shop that has one PC that also serves as a POS terminal, well, that's up to them, but I also don't think they're remotely concerned about running the latest OS in the first place, so this discussion is entirely moot for them. Hell, they don't even need desktops for that anymore when payment processing and POS is now done in the cloud with SaaS.

I'm sure I've lost track of the point since the original article doesn't address the issues that we've brought up since, but much in the same vein as how I've said that any company in any industry that requires software to run needs to operate like a software company, a similar mindset should be in place with regard to the hardware the company uses. That's the cost of business. Deal with it or else enjoy inconveniencing your employees and/or your customers at your own risk.

Edited by Snakecharmed

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

Yea, it's all about TPM, no doubt. I'm not a security expert but security moving more into hardware is something that's slowly been happening for years. Not defending it, and I think TPM is mostly about DRM rather than security but it's not unique either. GPUs and CPUs all have had DRM hardware for years. You can't stream 4K content on you PC from Netflix without it. 

All that aside, Win11 fixed an issue I was having in a game that nothing else fixed so I'm a fan. Still mad I can't move the start bar though. 

There really isn't a reason for people to switch from 10 to 11 though, they are 99.9% the same. I don't get the sense that Microsoft is even really marketing it. It's more there just to be ready and available for ARM hardware and that's really it as I see it. I'd love to have a phone that ran Win11 though... I think that's Microsoft's long term plan to get back into the mobile market... to just wait until the hardware catches up to the software and they can put full windows on phones. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

You guys do realize that an old school Socket 939 dual core or a Core 2 Duo is just as powerful still today as SOME lower end SKU CPU's such as Atoms and the like right?  Didn't we just all do a CPUz bench off to show similar results to that? 🙂   So why are there arbitrary restrictions causing even THOSE machines to stop functioning on modern OS's when they're just as powerful or more than stuff that IS supported?

From a BUSINESS point of view, they're in it to make money.  Period.  Why would they waste thousands of dollars on new equipment every year like Microsoft is basically saying?  Seriously....first gen Ryzen isn't supported.  That's just a few years old, and there's ZERO functionality reasons as to why it shouldn't be allowed on Win11.  There is absolutely no reason for them to cut their backwards compatibility on hardware, period.  That's Window's whole selling point.  I understand not using a single core CPU in 2022, I mean duh lol.  But any dual core ever made SHOULD be capable of running Windows 10 since it allows Celeron dual cores to run.  Windows 11, I could understand maybe dropping dual core CPU support out and keeping quad cores all active, but they're not even doing that.  You have to have what is it, 2nd gen Ryzen or 10th or 11th gen Intel?

But even if a business IS still using Windows XP today in 2022.....so what?  If the machines are offline use machines, or connected to some internal network only kinda deal, I mean there's quite a few reasons why a business would still use old hardware.  Heck, my dad's steel shop still has a few Win98 and XP systems running their machines, and that's only because newer computers CAN'T run their machines without complicated adapters and software work arounds.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

2 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

You guys do realize that an old school Socket 939 dual core or a Core 2 Duo is just as powerful still today as SOME lower end SKU CPU's such as Atoms and the like right?  Didn't we just all do a CPUz bench off to show similar results to that? 🙂   So why are there arbitrary restrictions causing even THOSE machines to stop functioning on modern OS's when they're just as powerful or more than stuff that IS supported?

From a BUSINESS point of view, they're in it to make money.  Period.  Why would they waste thousands of dollars on new equipment every year like Microsoft is basically saying?  Seriously....first gen Ryzen isn't supported.  That's just a few years old, and there's ZERO functionality reasons as to why it shouldn't be allowed on Win11.  There is absolutely no reason for them to cut their backwards compatibility on hardware, period.  That's Window's whole selling point.  I understand not using a single core CPU in 2022, I mean duh lol.  But any dual core ever made SHOULD be capable of running Windows 10 since it allows Celeron dual cores to run.  Windows 11, I could understand maybe dropping dual core CPU support out and keeping quad cores all active, but they're not even doing that.  You have to have what is it, 2nd gen Ryzen or 10th or 11th gen Intel?

But even if a business IS still using Windows XP today in 2022.....so what?  If the machines are offline use machines, or connected to some internal network only kinda deal, I mean there's quite a few reasons why a business would still use old hardware.  Heck, my dad's steel shop still has a few Win98 and XP systems running their machines, and that's only because newer computers CAN'T run their machines without complicated adapters and software work arounds.

Older CPUs don't support newer instruction sets that newer software relies on. Even if the OS would run, lots of software wouldn't. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

16 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

Older CPUs don't support newer instruction sets that newer software relies on. Even if the OS would run, lots of software wouldn't. 

Of course, I understand that. 🙂  But take for example the Socket 939, this is a problem I ran into recently actually.  32bit Windows 10 works perfectly fine on a Socket 939 dual core.  Runs great with a SSD in the system.  Seriously, just as good or faster than my son's Celery dual core laptop (10th gen).  But 64bit Windows 10, there's some instruction set its missing.  Obviously its not a core function of the OS otherwise 32bit wouldn't work too.  That's all I'm getting at, is that it almost seems as if SOME of these limitations are arbitrary and mostly just to coax people into upgrading hardware.

By all means if you're browsing the internet in 2022, have a quad core, SSD, and at least 8GB of RAM.  That's generally a pretty safe "bare minimum" requirement today with how multi-threaded everything is.  But they're still releasing dual cores (or were recently anyway).  If older systems are just as capable hardware wise, just old, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work with a modern OS.  So why would Microsoft "warn users" if their hardware is old?  Just seems like adding extra bloat into the OS that really doesn't need to be there, and disabling of systems that really don't NEED to be disabled.

Edited by pioneerisloud

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

9 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

Of course, I understand that. 🙂  But take for example the Socket 939, this is a problem I ran into recently actually.  32bit Windows 10 works perfectly fine on a Socket 939 dual core.  Runs great with a SSD in the system.  Seriously, just as good or faster than my son's Celery dual core laptop (10th gen).  But 64bit Windows 10, there's some instruction set its missing.  Obviously its not a core function of the OS otherwise 32bit wouldn't work too.  That's all I'm getting at, is that it almost seems as if SOME of these limitations are arbitrary and mostly just to coax people into upgrading hardware.

By all means if you're browsing the internet in 2022, have a quad core, SSD, and at least 8GB of RAM.  That's generally a pretty safe "bare minimum" requirement today with how multi-threaded everything is.  But they're still releasing dual cores (or were recently anyway).  If older systems are just as capable hardware wise, just old, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work with a modern OS.  So why would Microsoft "warn users" if their hardware is old?  Just seems like adding extra bloat into the OS that really doesn't need to be there, and disabling of systems that really don't NEED to be disabled.

Are you sure the CPU you're using is a 64 bit CPU? Not all CPUs back then were IIRC. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 minute ago, UltraMega said:

Are you sure the CPU you're using is a 64 bit CPU? Not all CPUs back then were IIRC. 

Yup, its right in the name of it.  Athlon64 x2.  

It was "CMPXCHG16b".  Whatever that was is the reason why in that particular case.  Some people claim Win10 x64 works but you need a USB 2.0 flash drive or use the ODD to install with.  I'm not sure, I wasn't able to get it to work at all.  But again, was just an example.  My 939 dual core is more powerful than a 10th gen Celeron is.  If I'm not using apps that require the missing instructions, there's no reason it shouldn't install the OS at least.  At least IMO anyway.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

6 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

Yup, its right in the name of it.  Athlon64 x2.  

It was "CMPXCHG16b".  Whatever that was is the reason why in that particular case.  Some people claim Win10 x64 works but you need a USB 2.0 flash drive or use the ODD to install with.  I'm not sure, I wasn't able to get it to work at all.  But again, was just an example.  My 939 dual core is more powerful than a 10th gen Celeron is.  If I'm not using apps that require the missing instructions, there's no reason it shouldn't install the OS at least.  At least IMO anyway.

It might be more powerful in raw horsepower, but there are instruction sets it lacks that would make a massive difference and on hardware that old, it's probably not hard to find those situations. Most things using newer instruction sets would still run better on the newer hardware even if it's really weak low end hardware. 

In anycase, I don't fault MS for having the hardware cut offs they do. The only one that seems questionably is the win11 TPM thing but since win10 is still good until 2025 and win11 offers no real benefits anyway, I see it as a non-issue. You're probably one of few people who would complain about not being able to run newer OSes on hardware that old haha. I'm sure they could reach further back with support if they wanted to but it also makes sense to have a bottom line so devs don't have to write programs for ancient hardware all the time. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

22 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

It might be more powerful in raw horsepower, but there are instruction sets it lacks that would make a massive difference and on hardware that old, it's probably not hard to find those situations. Most things using newer instruction sets would still run better on the newer hardware even if it's really weak low end hardware. 

In anycase, I don't fault MS for having the hardware cut offs they do. The only one that seems questionably is the win11 TPM thing but since win10 is still good until 2025 and win11 offers no real benefits anyway, I see it as a non-issue. You're probably one of few people who would complain about not being able to run newer OSes on hardware that old haha. I'm sure they could reach further back with support if they wanted to but it also makes sense to have a bottom line so devs don't have to write programs for ancient hardware all the time. 

You'd be surprised how many people run older gear sometimes. 🙂

And nah, I understand that there's certain things older stuff just can't do.  But in this particular instance, we're talking about even first gen Ryzen and older i5's and i7's that are still absolutely capable today.  Even the FX 8 cores aged quite well and keep right up there with Haswell i5's and i7's now.  I completely understand that Socket 939 is ancient.  But the stuff that they're knocking out with Windows 11 really isn't.  Believe it or not, a LOT of people are still on Sandy Bridge and FX era equipment still and happy with it and the cutoff for "proper" hardware on 11 is much MUCH newer than either of those.

I was just arguing, to a certain extent, that honestly ANY quad core CPU, even a Q6600 or Phenom 9850 SHOULD have absolutely zero problems doing "daily tasks".  Even instructions sets, most of the missing instructions are app specific anyway on Windows 10 (anything that'd be a bother).  What I mean is, if you're missing instruction sets you need, you already know you're missing them.  RDR2 and Crysis Remastered for example won't launch on older CPU's.  But yet I can run my Phenom 9850 and Q9550 rigs on Win10 just fine.  There's nothing really different under the hood for Win11, so why can't they run 11 too?

EDIT:
Talking history a little.  Windows XP for example came out in 2002.  10 years prior, in 1992, what did we have?  386 or 486 CPU's right?  You can install XP to those.  Works fine.  Slow, yes.  But works.  Vista, you can install on a Pentium 2, that was a 10 year difference too.  Again, I wouldn't do it but you can.  There's no reason to be cutting off hardware, especially stuff that absolutely is more than capable to run the OS.

Edited by pioneerisloud

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much