Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Windows 12 release in June 2024 (Rumor)

UltraMega

According to the Commercial Times, Microsoft is set to release Windows 12 in June 2024, accompanied by a series of AI-integrated personal computers. This information, not explicitly attributed to direct sources, is inferred to be based on comments from Quanta CEO Barry Lam and Acer CEO Jason Chen, who were present at the Taiwan Medical Technology Exhibition in Taipei.

The report from the Commercial Times suggests that the release of Windows 12 and the new range of AI PCs might align, based on observations made at the exhibition. Though the article lacks direct quotes from the CEOs, it infers that the statements by Chen and Lam at the event indirectly support this information. Chen expressed a measured optimism regarding the potential of AI PCs to catalyze industry growth through a cycle of new AI applications and hardware. Lam, on the other hand, was more assertive, anticipating growth in Quanta's AI PC, server, and automotive electronics divisions. The report adds that Lam anticipates the launch of AI PCs in conjunction with Microsoft's new operating system next summer, although this is not a direct quote from him.

The demand for AI PCs, as per Lam, is challenging to predict but presents a significant opportunity for the industry. Chen believes that the demand for AI PCs will grow steadily, with generative AI applications enhancing the value of these computers.

In the evolving tech landscape, AI integration is becoming crucial, and Microsoft is positioned to lead this advancement with Windows 12. The current Windows 11 already includes a beta version of Copilot AI, which is expected to be more refined in Windows 12, benefiting from improved hardware support. Satya Nadella of Microsoft hinted at a need for “a new system architecture” to achieve seamless AI integration, as per a Notebookcheck report.

Nadella also suggested that Windows 12 could revolutionize the user experience, possibly replacing the traditional Start button with the Copilot feature. Copilot, envisioned as an orchestrator of application experiences, could transform user habits by assisting in learning, querying, and creating. While it currently can launch most integrated applications, its functionality, especially in voice command and file explorer access, is anticipated to expand in Windows 12.

https://www.guru3d.com/story/windows-12-scheduled-for-june-2024-launch-becomes-aiintegrated-pc-platform/

It's kinda hard to imagine what this could really add to the user experience that couldn't be done with copilot in windows 11. Maybe stuff like AI image generation would be done locally? Maybe something like DLSS would be a native part of windows? Will be interesting to see what this looks like. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Yeah I'm good there.  I'll stick to a de-junked Windows 10.  If MS decides to pull the plug, there's always Linux now thanks to Steam's big push on there with the Steam Deck.  Windows 11, I already didn't like very much due to the changes they made between that and 10.  If they're dumping AI directly into the OS, definitely count me out.  Don't need it, don't want it.  Sorry Ultra, I know you and I differ on that.  It's just my opinion on it, that's all. 🙂  

To be honest, I'd rather run Windows 8, Vista, or ME.

With all of that said, and I mean this, I'll certainly give it a try.  I always do with every Windows release.  If it ends up being the bee's knees, I may keep it.  Depends on how Microsoft actually goes with it.

• Agreed 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

I still haven't moved to 11 on my main rig...  but I'm willing to give it a try and see if the "every other windows is *decent*" motto is still true.  Unfortunately there is still some legacy software and certain games (old, new and unreleased) that only run well on Windows.

Edited by SoloCamo
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: 11900k 5.4 single / 4.9 all core
MOTHERBOARD: Asus TUF Z590
RAM: 32gb G.Skill DDR4-4000 CL16 @ 3733 14-14-14-32 2T 1.49v
GPU: AMD 6900XT 2500/2100 1.115mV
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
SOUNDCARD: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: 750w Evga SuperNOVA p2
CASE: Fractal Torrent Black
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: i9 10900
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock Steel Legend Z590
RAM: 64gb T-Force Vulcan Z 3600 c18
GPU: Asrock Challenger Arc A380
PSU: 850w NZXT Hale-82
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U
RAM: 32gb Kingston Fury c20 3200
GPU: Vega 7 APU
Full Rig Info

15 hours ago, SoloCamo said:

I still haven't moved to 11 on my main rig...  but I'm willing to give it a try and see if the "every other windows is *decent*" motto is still true.  Unfortunately there is still some legacy software and certain games (old, new and unreleased) that only run well on Windows.

It's 99% the same as windows 10 so don't expect much. Menus are a little cleaner, that's about it as far as any differences you will actually notice. 

• Respect 1
  • Agreed 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Windows 11 is mostly the same as Windows 10 in my book. That said, while you could call the menus "cleaner", I'd say its just relearning where stuff is (example, copy/paste being pictures instead of line items on the menu), or sadly, adding extra clicks to get a full menu.

Also they really dumbed some things down. Right clicking the taskbar has literally two options now. Task Manager (which wasn't there in earlier iterations of W11), and Taskbar settings, that's it.

Just some examples of the differences and I find them annoying. But otherwise Windows 11 has been fine for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

14 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

Windows 11 is mostly the same as Windows 10 in my book. That said, while you could call the menus "cleaner", I'd say its just relearning where stuff is (example, copy/paste being pictures instead of line items on the menu), or sadly, adding extra clicks to get a full menu.

Also they really dumbed some things down. Right clicking the taskbar has literally two options now. Task Manager (which wasn't there in earlier iterations of W11), and Taskbar settings, that's it.

Just some examples of the differences and I find them annoying. But otherwise Windows 11 has been fine for me.

The "cleaner" look is exactly what threw me off of 11.  Same reason why I hated Windows 8 (why a lot of people did).  Thankfully for Windows 8/ 8.1 utilities came out to correct the problem.

Windows 11 honestly functions fine.  I have no complaints about its performance.  If anything, I'd ALMOST be willing to admit 11 might even be a tad faster than 10.  The GUI changes were just too drastic and annoying to deal with for me.  On the same topic of GUI changes, turning off all of the spying features of Windows was also a chore on 11 vs 10.  It's possible, but it shouldn't be this cumbersome and clunky.  Windows 11 is embracing all new GUI changes in a LOT of ways, but then......the control panel is still from Win9x days like always.  It's inconsistent at best with its GUI.

• Respect 1
  • Agreed 2

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

I'm so with you - it makes me think Windows just gets GUI updates with a few sprinkled advancements in. And while I know that isn't technically true, my god! 

The CP hasn't changed since the 90's! LOL. 

That said I prefer Win11 over 10 simply for the better multi-monitor support. Will probably be happy with direct storage too, but alas we all wait. I don't debloat any more. I'm just too old. I just turn all the nonsensical stuff off (notifications, etc) and run. 

Edited by GanjaSMK
  • Agreed 2

Hopefully they will add better multi-monitor support. And an option to have different wallpapers for each monitor and live wallpapers. Like you can do with linux and android. Better ARM support would be nice too.

I wish i could set the start menu to a different monitor than my main monitor. Or set a different monitor as the main monitor for launching apps.

Edited by ozlay

The multi-monitor support in 10 is not great. I have to use a cocktail of PersistentWindows, Dual Monitor Tools, and PowerToys FancyZones to get what I consider good dual-screen management. Those three apps work together really well, but all that functionality should have been native.

Oh yeah, and Steam Big Picture mode, which is the most hacky out of all the apps just for sake of getting a game to load on the secondary monitor, but it works.

Other than that, add Open-Shell and 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021 has been the best Windows I've ever used.

I know a guy on another forum who still refuses to use 10 because of Edge. First of all, I like having all my hardware properly supported and fully functional. Second, as far as I'm concerned these days, Edge is far better than Chrome, and I use neither. I never bothered trying to force Edge off my Windows like I might have done with IE back in the day with 2000 or XP. Just don't ever launch Edge, and even if you do by accident, so what? Unless you exclusively use browsers that non-enthusiasts have never heard of, you don't really have room to complain. I understand the concerns about forced Windows Updates and telemetry (why I disabled all the 10 upgrade ads when I had 7 on my Sandy Bridge rig and why have 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC now), but Edge is a terrible anti-10 hill to die on.

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

On 06/12/2023 at 13:37, UltraMega said:

https://www.guru3d.com/story/windows-12-scheduled-for-june-2024-launch-becomes-aiintegrated-pc-platform/

It's kinda hard to imagine what this could really add to the user experience that couldn't be done with copilot in windows 11. Maybe stuff like AI image generation would be done locally? Maybe something like DLSS would be a native part of windows? Will be interesting to see what this looks like. 

Interesting, and I agree in the sense that it feels a little premature to make the jump to another major OS revision without developing 11 further - 11 will have felt really short lived to me if things pan out on this timeline. But yes, definitely interested to see what actually gets confirmed here.

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML360R
MOTHERBOARD: [Asus] ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3600
SSD/NVME: [Western Digital] Black 512 GB NVMe SSD
SSD/NVME 2: [Team] 4x 1 TB 2.5" SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 7 3700X