Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Folding@Home 20th Anniversary Folding Competition - Lots of prizes up for grabs !

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
4 hours ago, axipher said:

Yep, you're just not hitting refresh hard enough.

Oh yes, let's do this for old times sake, and can you please make a tutorial on how hard to press the refresh button? Please measure the foot pounds only of pressure.

4 hours ago, Avacado said:

Oh.gif.649860b8fd47bdf7f23acbea59eaefde.gif

You can film it!

3 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...you play poker a lot ? ?

I know you didn't ask me, but who doesn't!

3 hours ago, Minotaurtoo said:

yay, moving on up... wish I had some more hardware to throw at it.... 

This guy... millions of points a day and comes in all "I have some spare hardware"  meanwhile, I'm installing folding at home on my tv remotes and my wii U hoping for a little help lol... wondering if this gaming keyboard can help... it has RGB so that means it's fast right???:wheee_orange:

You forgot to fold on your cars ECU.

3 hours ago, Avacado said:

Don't let him fool you. He's sandbagging about 1 - 1.2 million extra PPD per update. By extra hardware, he means his 2nd 3090. 

What He and I are truly after is that sweet, sweet 5 million point update. #AmiRight?

full

I noticed some interesting divisions showing in the stats... the untouchables at the top... you and Bastiaan_NL... then a group of 3 titans followed by us normal mainstream folks with a slow smooth transition from high end to low end with me sitting right in the middle of mediocrity ?.  I know there are some who are "holding back"... and could likely catch up to the "untouchables" quickly if they wanted

Oh... for those who didn't know, and to embarrass him a little... Imports_R32 is my son ?... he'd be right up there just behind me if he hadn't shown up late... he has the exact same GPU and only a slightly slower CPU

Edit:  Imports, post a pic of your rig ?

I'm glad you're passing on these experiences to the youth in the household! Is the PC in his bedroom?

3 hours ago, Avacado said:

Thats right @Imports_R32 lets get your OC tuned so you can beat out your old man. 

full

3 hours ago, Imports_R32 said:

Well y’all asked for it, and please excuse the cable management, rather the lack thereof but @Minotaurtoo once I get it properly going I’m coming for you

31CCC1E0-550A-4CA0-8FDC-39703204D83B.jpeg

F3FF6315-EDD1-40E5-B38C-2C54C9986763.jpeg

Wow man! That's pretty wild! How close is that GPU fan to the bottom of the case?

lol I was hoping you would send one with the sides on... so those not in the know would be wondering how you were folding on an old HP

3 hours ago, Imports_R32 said:

Sorry I took the sides off for the competition so it would cool better

I think I'd just cut the motherboard tray out of that thing and open air it.

2 hours ago, franz said:

Random hardware pic of the day.  2 Ubuntu rigs running BOINC and/or F@H

No 30xx GPUs in sight......

20210223_120332.jpg

Yep, I saw your blow by me, so what's all folding right now?

2 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Just thought I would say, for all those who have registered with us for the competition, don't be shy and feel free to introduce yourselves in our New Members section :) 

Yep, I did this every once and a while on OCN when I wanted to read everything and respond. I hope this doesn't break the forum!

2 hours ago, Avacado said:

I sadly don't know much about the AMD side of GPU's (Have never owned one). Most likely is pretty old.  It does have OpenCL 1.2, so it should technically fold. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-6850.c255

2 hours ago, Minotaurtoo said:

I must admit... I'm hoping he wins the case up for grabs... may the gods have mercy on his hardware.

That seems like the most logical prize to want to win! This is hilarious!

2 hours ago, Avacado said:

Seeing as how it's random, if I win it, I'll gladly switch.  Last thing I need is a 7th case. 

Wait, where are the others at? I think I saw what, 2?

/End Mega Quote

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

@ENTERPRISE & his fellow folding gents: I have a few specific tech questions / queries for advice on folding...I am looking at a few beginners guides online already as the only folding I have ever done is after the laundry, and not nearly often enough according to my family...also, this is not for this competition but for down the line...

As context, I am in a computer-related field and also did a lot of HWBot many years back. As a result, I have may be 30 'modern' GPUs (GTX 600 series and up) all the way to 2x RTX 2080 Tis (w-cooled) and a new RTX 3090.

Most of the mobos I use are Intel or AMD HEDT, but I also have 4x functional Z77 w/CPUs (mostly 3770s), a Z97/4790K and a Z170/6700K 'ES' left over. Leaving out the HEDT systems w/ the 2080Tis and the 3090, there are 2x X79/99 E-WS workstation and 2x 'rampage XTR', all with functional CPUs (4960X ES, 5960X etc) 

For the old GPUs to plug in, I am looking at the most 'energy efficient' combos as there's a hard-limit of about 3500 W peek 'available'...many of these GPUs need to have their bios reflashed (from XOC) and a few are not entirely healthy (pls see below on a specific question on that). So here is what's in the potential GPU pool:

2x Radeon R7 260X, air

2x Radeon 8990s (dual GPU each, watercoolers need attention)

5x GTX 670s air (3x available)

3x 780 Ti air Classifieds / KPE

4x 980 Classifieds (air, 2x available)

Question 1 is what is the best, most efficient mobo / GPU combo to fit for the highest folding returns within the hard limit of 3500W ?

Question 2 is of the 7x EVGA (780 Ti CL, 980 CL) three still 'work fine' other than dropped lanes from PCIe 3.0 - 16X, one is down to 2x, one to 4x and one to 8x (incidentally mobo combo for those makes no difference with that, other than mobos with PEX help...I only ever had that problem with EVGA pcbs ? ). So would folding be affected by the 2x or 4x PCIe problem, noting again that the cards otherwise work fine ?

Thanks ?

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

4 minutes ago, BWG said:

Oh yes, let's do this for old times sake, and can you please make a tutorial on how hard to press the refresh button? Please measure the foot pounds only of pressure.

You can film it!

full

I'm glad you're passing on these experiences to the youth in the household! Is the PC in his bedroom?

full

Wow man! That's pretty wild! How close is that GPU fan to the bottom of the case?

Yep, I did this every once and a while on OCN when I wanted to read everything and respond. I hope this doesn't break the forum!

/End Mega Quote

Caselabs s8s

Caselabs TH10a

Lian Li O11XL

Corsair 570x

Fractal Meshify c

2x open air mining chassis. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 1

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
1 minute ago, Avacado said:

Say what? lol

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
4 minutes ago, J7SC_Orion said:

@ENTERPRISE & his fellow folding gents: I have a few specific tech questions / queries for advice on folding...I am looking at a few beginners guides online already as the only folding I have ever done is after the laundry, and not nearly often enough according to my family...also, this is not for this competition but for down the line...

As context, I am in a computer-related field and also did a lot of HWBot many years back. As a result, I have may be 30 'modern' GPUs (GTX 600 series and up) all the way to 2x RTX 2080 Tis (w-cooled) and a new RTX 3090.

Most of the mobos I use are Intel or AMD HEDT, but I also have 4x functional Z77 w/CPUs (mostly 3770s), a Z97/4790K and a Z170/6700K 'ES' left over. Leaving out the HEDT systems w/ the 2080Tis and the 3090, there are 2x X79/99 E-WS workstation and 2x 'rampage XTR', all with functional CPUs (4960X ES, 5960X etc) 

For the old GPUs to plug in, I am looking at the most 'energy efficient' combos as there's a hard-limit of about 3500 W peek 'available'...many of these GPUs need to have their bios reflashed (from XOC) and a few are not entirely healthy (pls see below on a specific question on that). So here is what's in the potential GPU pool:

2x Radeon R7 260X, air

Question 1 is what is the best, most efficient mobo / GPU combo to fit for the highest folding returns within the hard limit of 3500W ?

Question 2 is of the 7x EVGA (780 Ti CL, 980 CL) three still 'work fine' other than dropped lanes from PCIe 3.0 - 16X, one is down to 2x, one to 4x and one to 8x (incidentally mobo combo for those makes no difference with that, other than mobos with PEX help...I only ever had that problem with EVGA pcbs ? ). So would folding be affected by the 2x or 4x PCIe problem, noting again that the cards otherwise work fine ?

Thanks ?

I think the short answer is seeing the folding capabilities here: https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/brands/nvidia/folding_profile/gm204_geforce_gtx_980_4612

But, if it were me, I'd probably sell quite a bit of it with the going prices right now and hit some sniffing groups that track RTX 3 series and snag more up with the money you get. You can kind of see a trend on here of people using mining style configurations to fold, and most of them are less wattage than running multiple CPU's and Motherboards to run them all even if the slot speeds suffer.

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

8 minutes ago, BWG said:

I'm glad you're passing on these experiences to the youth in the household! Is the PC in his bedroom

I did forget the ECU!... 

As for his computer, I don't really know... He just got his first apartment a while back... My boys all grown up now.

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
1 minute ago, Minotaurtoo said:

I did forget the ECU!... 

As for his computer, I don't really know... He just got his first apartment a while back... My boys all grown up now.

Oh man, mine's about to leave the nest too. I have all boys 21, 18, 4, and 1. Has he complained that it's hot yet haha!

Owned

Full Rig Info

9 minutes ago, BWG said:

I think the short answer is seeing the folding capabilities here: https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/brands/nvidia/folding_profile/gm204_geforce_gtx_980_4612

But, if it were me, I'd probably sell quite a bit of it with the going prices right now and hit some sniffing groups that track RTX 3 series and snag more up with the money you get. You can kind of see a trend on here of people using mining style configurations to fold, and most of them are less wattage than running multiple CPU's and Motherboards to run them all even if the slot speeds suffer.

Thanks much for the link ? 
...I have given away a couple of GPUs to friends but I can't really easily $ell them w/o accounting hooplas. So slot speed (x2, x4, x8 instead of x16) is not as big an issue as I feared w/folding ? 

EDIT: ...saw Avacado's answer on that just now

Edited by J7SC_Orion

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

21 minutes ago, J7SC_Orion said:

2x Radeon R7 260X, air

Thanks ?

Question #1 - In regards to CPU/GPU, you want to dedicate at least 1 core PER GPU while folding. Just seeing the hardware you are bringing to the table, I would not even suggest you fold using CPU's at all, the returns are minimal compared to what your 2080Ti's and 3090 will produce. I.E. Not worth the wattage relative to PPD output.  I any case, I would pair your best cpu/mobo and continue down the line. I would prioritize getting the dual Ti's and 3090 going and then add those 4 980's, they will be your biggest producers. 

Question #2 - Folding does rely heavily on bandwidth, you won't notice any difference between 16/8x, maybe a 10% reduction @4x and up to 30% in production at 1x. Usually we aim for 8x, but 4x is acceptable. Make sure you big producers are at 8x at all costs.  You will want to read up on bifurcation cards as they will come in quite handy with all those GPU's. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BWG said:

You can film it!

full

full

/End Mega Quote

Yeah that case would be a lot nicer I’m honestly surprised how well it’s running in that old hp case, also the gpu fans are maybe an inch and half or two from the bottom of the case

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Question #1 - In regards to CPU/GPU, you want to dedicate at least 1 core PER GPU while folding. Just seeing the hardware you are bringing to the table, I would not even suggest you fold using CPU's at all, the returns a minimal compared to what you 2080Ti's and 3090 will produce. I.E. Not worth the wattage relative to PPD output.  I any case, I would pair your best cpu/mobo and continue down the line. I would prioritize getting the dual Ti's and 3090 going and then add those 4 980's, they will be your biggest producers. 

Question #2 - Folding does rely heavily on bandwidth, you won't notice any difference between 16/8x, maybe a 10% reduction @4x and up to 30% in production at 1x. Usually we aim for 8x, but 4x is acceptable. Make sure you big producers are at 8x at all costs.  

Thanks ! ?  2x w-cooled 2080 Ti are in TR X399 MSI Creation mobo with PCIe 3.0 dual 16x working fine; single 3090 is in an X570 / 3950X combo (PCIe 4.0 - 16x). 3090 is waiting for w-cooling parts 

Owned

Full Rig Info

...I have given away a couple of GPUs to friends but I can't really easily $ell them w/o accounting hooplas. So slot speed (x2, x4, x8 instead of x16) is not as big an issue as I feared w/folding ? 

EDIT: ...saw Avacado's answer on that just now

I would be willing to make a "donation" in exchange for an x99 e ws "gift", especially with a 5960x

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

It does matter, but the power generated to run another CPU/MB/RAM isn't as big of a loss unless you're talking running them at under 4x. Then it becomes questionable. I think 4x is roughly 10% and 2x is 30% decreases, but Not sure how that is on PCI-E 4.0.

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

8 minutes ago, J7SC_Orion said:

Thanks ! ?  2x w-cooled 2080 Ti are in TR X399 MSI Creation mobo with PCIe 3.0 dual 16x working fine; single 3090 is in an X570 / 3950X combo (PCIe 4.0 - 16x). 3090 is waiting for w-cooling parts 

Welcome to the big leagues. You'll snug right in behind Bastiaan and I. FAH benefits from a good stable core OC. FAH does NOT rely on MEM, so do not OC MEM while folding, it can result in bad wu's. 

You get ALL those cards folding, and you'll surpass my output for sure and you can carry on the torch of lighting bastiaans ass on fire. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 2

@BWG

3 2060s

2 1070s

Normally I have the 2 1070s folding 24/7 and 2 2060s go to BOINC projects.  The other 2060 is in my main rig and only gets used for foldathons

I have another 1070 that I might add with an extension cable or sell depending on what happens on the 25th

Edited by franz

12 minutes ago, Zonalo said:

I would be willing to make a "donation" in exchange for an x99 e ws "gift", especially with a 5960x

...I keep in it mind. But for now though, the X79-E WS is my daily slogger w/ 1080 HD retro, while the X99-W WS would be needed for folding with the 980 Cls per above as that board has PEX and does Quad PCIe 3.0 x 16 

Spoiler

x99ews.thumb.jpg.58f7d8b3c7f3b949ca4591f190793b23.jpg

Edited by J7SC_Orion
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
1 minute ago, franz said:

@BWG

3 2060s

2 1070s

Normally I have the 2 1070s folding 24/7 and 2 2060s go to BOINC projects.  The other 2060 is in my main rig and only gets used for foldathons

I have another 1070 that I might add with an extension cable or sell depending on what happens on the 25th

Hey, I'm folding 2x 1070's too. Nice. What are you running them at? I am actually running mine at 70% lol. HFM in sig for live results.

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, BWG said:

Oh man, mine's about to leave the nest too. I have all boys 21, 18, 4, and 1. Has he complained that it's hot yet haha!

Sorry for the delay, bit busy here at work today... But, no, not one complaint yet...?

I love how active this thread is, hard to keep up :)

1 hour ago, J7SC_Orion said:

I agree with everything that has been said. I would start with the newest hardware first and work your way back.
So getting the 3090 and 2080's online will be your first concern. The 3950x is a nice unit cruncher, as long as you receive the smaller ones that take half an hour. Almost 50 units a day is pretty nice, with them being around 10k points each results in half a million points from the CPU alone.

If you know how I would suggest Linux, that'll be another 10% extra points. 

1 hour ago, Avacado said:

Welcome to the big leagues. You'll snug right in behind Bastiaan and I. FAH benefits from a good stable core OC. FAH does NOT rely on MEM, so do not OC MEM while folding, it can result in bad wu's. 

You get ALL those cards folding, and you'll surpass my output for sure and you can carry on the torch of lighting Bastiaans ass on fire. 

Don't underestimate your own need to be number one, soon you'll find a 30xx card just to mess with me.. :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, axipher said:

This might be the big competition we need to jumpstart the ExtremeHW folding team, thanks everyone so far for your participation, hopefully you can still donate some WU's to EHW each month along with other teams you fold for.

80 million points on day one, that's more than OCN was doing for 6 months last year. Now if we could average 80 mil, that would be sweet!

Edited by Bastiaan_NL
  • Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

4 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

I agree with everything that has been said. I would start with the newest hardware first and work your way back.
So getting the 3090 and 2080's online will be your first concern. The 3950x is a nice unit cruncher, as long as you receive the smaller ones that take half an hour. Almost 50 units a day is pretty nice, with them being around 10k points each results in half a million points from the CPU alone.

(...)

...got to learn to walk before I run ...and I really do  use the top-end machines for work, just not all the time...but it's fun getting setup for next time and see what oc to use (or uc, or not) as well as heat, power consumption etc ?

Owned

Full Rig Info

9 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Don't underestimate your own need to be number one, soon you'll find a 30xx card just to mess with me.. :classic_biggrin:

80 million points on day one, that's more than OCN was doing for 6 months last year. Now if we could average 80 mil, that would be sweet!

Those are the stats I like ! 

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info