Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Folding@Home 20th Anniversary Folding Competition - Lots of prizes up for grabs !

53 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

I would leave those memory clocks alone for folding, there is no gain afaik.
If you want to test it out I suggest you do it on one unit, fold like 10%, pause the unit and change the clock. After that fold another 10% and look at the Time Per Frame it takes, if you see no decrease in time it's not beneficial and will only increase the chance of a faulty unit.

500 watt shouldn't be a problem, the 780 is rated at something like 250 watt and the 9100f has a 65 watt TDP.

@Avacado are you messing with me? 3.2 million on the last update, that's no joke... 
The main 3090 was waiting for work when I woke up an hour ago, and the other was again working on a 17800 pos (project of science :classic_laugh:).

So I'm not gaining anything on you, even with my laptop folding at 150k ppd :classic_biggrin:

Haha. I was going to talk trash BEFORE bed, but I figured I'd let you realize you messed up by letting me take the lead. Its on homie.

tenor.gif

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 1

It's all good, I already had my plans for this week and that included a lot of Call of Duty :classic_laugh:
I'm just trying to keep up, but even overnight my systems don't gain on you. 

It would have been cool to hit a 100 mil in 5 days, but the 35 remaining won't be easy in 1.5 days. 
@Supercrumpet is in the lead with the work units (more than 50 units), you and @tictoc are both in second and I'm in third. The laptop is doing a great job but I should have had it running from day one to be in second place.

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

10 hours ago, Minotaurtoo said:

Silly question... Is the 12 units a day based on average or do we have to hit at least 12 each day... I ask because I want to change my system over to my son's username to help him reach the 12 per day average.... I realize I waited a little late to ask ?

Technically it was per day. However it may be more beneficial to do an average, so that is what I will do.

• Thanks 2

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead
1.1k 995
48 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Technically it was per day. However it may be more beneficial to do an average, so that is what I will do.

Thank you. I got a late start between time zone difference and the time it took me to set up once I realized the even was happening lol. Both my teenage son and daughter are now very interested in folding because of this event. If we win RAM or PSU, we will install it in a dedicated folding rig we are currently building. I managed to snag a Ryzen 1200 for $50 off of ebay last night. Looking for a motherboard now.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
1 hour ago, franz said:

I just woke up to a frozen system with a bunch of "error initializing CUDA" messages.  Reset everything and it seems to be working....will dig deeper after work.

Eww, weird! Glad it fired back up. I'm not even gonna say what I was thinking until the contest is over.

Edited by BWG

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

25 minutes ago, BWG said:

Eww, weird! Glad it fired back up. I'm not even gonna say what I was thinking until the contest is over.

I woke up to my PiHole deciding to shut off it's DNS service (FTL) at 1 AM EST, so folding client couldn't get any new units until 8 AM EST when I was able to reset it...  Why can't Stanford just use hard-coded IP addresses for this kind of thing, would completely avoid DNS requirements.

So I lost about 6 hours of potential folding time and QRB on my machines :(

Yes this may be a double-post, but it's new content so I'm deeming that as an okay excuse.

The stats page has been updated to show your current Prize Tier based on Actual Average WU/day:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTCHyCWqzzOn58g9qkJ7GBHbjJgdrT2y0sCuUYz44dGiwoFEAlURi8KQsTzeJIPV3HDv6bWb36uw5JI/pubhtml?widget=true&headers=false#gid=2029153325

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, franz said:

I just woke up to a frozen system with a bunch of "error initializing CUDA" messages.  Reset everything and it seems to be working....will dig deeper after work.

Sorry to hear that, good luck troubleshooting! ?

36 minutes ago, axipher said:

I woke up to my PiHole deciding to shut off it's DNS service (FTL) at 1 AM EST, so folding client couldn't get any new units until 8 AM EST when I was able to reset it...  Why can't Stanford just use hard-coded IP addresses for this kind of thing, would completely avoid DNS requirements.

So I lost about 6 hours of potential folding time and QRB on my machines :(

There are many things that could be improved, but I guess that'll cost a lot of money and time.
I would gladly donate, as long as I know which specific part of the project I'm paying for. 

29 minutes ago, axipher said:

Yes this may be a double-post, but it's new content so I'm deeming that as an okay excuse.

The stats page has been updated to show your current Prize Tier based on Actual Average WU/day:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTCHyCWqzzOn58g9qkJ7GBHbjJgdrT2y0sCuUYz44dGiwoFEAlURi8KQsTzeJIPV3HDv6bWb36uw5JI/pubhtml?widget=true&headers=false#gid=2029153325

Nice update! Double post accepted :)

21 minutes ago, Minotaurtoo said:

PSA:  If you have been folding since the start and your systems haven't crashed yet, they are stable.  That is all, have a great day.

Knocks on wood, still running :wheee_orange: 
I had one bad unit so far, but it turned out I wasn't the first one with an error on this unit after searching the PRCG on the WU Status page.

Oh and @Avacado, enjoy your win.
I keep running into those 17800 units, the problem is that they are on normal, advanced and beta.
So besides blocking them there is no way to avoid them. I even had an extra 2080ti and 2070 at my disposal from my brother, but I'm not going to set that up just for the last day.
Not sure what you pulled out of the storage, but it's doing pretty good looking at your last update!

Edited by Bastiaan_NL
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

8 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Oh and @Avacado, enjoy your win.
I keep running into those 17800 units, the problem is that they are on normal, advanced and beta.
So besides blocking them there is no way to avoid them. I even had an extra 2080ti and 2070 at my disposal from my brother, but I'm not going to set that up just for the last day.
Not sure what you pulled out of the storage, but it's doing pretty good looking at your last update!

It was the broken hardware comment. Just had to get them working to put the proper beat down on you. Gotta keep the plebs like you in their place and off my throne ??

minions mic drop GIF

I really do think it would be possible to get a 4 million update if I folded all my CPUs together as well. Problem is my 2 20 amp circuits in the basement are pretty close to reaching their safe operating load. When mining ends, and I can buy a 3090 for 500$, skies the limit. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 1

My electricity bill is going to be huge this month, lol. The OCN 2 day and then this 5 day. I think i'm pumping out 3.6 kw/h every day, even @ 0.11c it's about 10$ a day to fold. Thank god the basement is partially underground and stays below 70 degrees even in the summer. I really need to get the the 4 horsemen into that TH10a down there. 

Edited by Avacado

So you are telling me I ....ed myself? :classic_sad:
Have fun on that throne, but remember: I can buy more 3090's too! 
I might have to invest in solar panels and an AC unit first though, it's already heating up here and I'm at 1700 watt on the GPU's alone. 

4 mil per update would be sweet, but it has a lot to do with luck and timing. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead
1.1k 995

Am I calculating this correctly that there is about < 8 hours left of running the wheels off my rigs for the contest?

I'm going to keep folding for the team, just backed off to a bit more reasonable for wear and tear.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

7 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

So you are telling me I ....ed myself? :classic_sad:
Have fun on that throne, but remember: I can buy more 3090's too! 
I might have to invest in solar panels and an AC unit first though, it's already heating up here and I'm at 1700 watt on the GPU's alone. 

4 mil per update would be sweet, but it has a lot to do with luck and timing. 

You buy a 3rd 3090 and i'm mailing you anthrax. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, damric said:

Am I calculating this correctly that there is about < 8 hours left of running the wheels off my rigs for the contest?

I'm going to keep folding for the team, just backed off to a bit more reasonable for wear and tear.

It's 5 days right, so there is 30 hours and 38 minutes left

Just now, Avacado said:

You buy a 3rd 3090 and i'm mailing you anthrax. 

Hahaha, I'll pm you my shipping details! 
But I meant if they hit somewhere around that price range..

Owned

Full Rig Info

Just now, damric said:

As far as I can tell based on the charts you are correct... but like Bastiaan_NL I was thinking it was 5 days at first.

on another note, if this may be useful to someone...

I haven't been running at full power even now... limited to 85w on my 3900x (300k ppd avg so far) and reduced power on my 5700xt, netting close 1.2m ppd average up to this point... now, if I unleashed this cpu to stock... it'll go up to about 350k ppd... with PBO limits set to mother board limits (200w) it has gotten up to 400k, but you see how the power consumption jumps way faster than ppd... gpu has a little left in the tank... but folding doesn't really push the power limit much... but I could get about 10% more out of it by unleashing it...

TLDR... it really doesn't gain much by pushing hard, I'd just set a reasonable limit and leave it lol.

5 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

It's 5 days right, so there is 30 hours and 38 minutes left

Hahaha, I'll pm you my shipping details! 
But I meant if they hit somewhere around that price range..

shipping you anthrax lol.. are you sure you are giving him YOUR address? ?

4 minutes ago, Minotaurtoo said:

As far as I can tell based on the charts you are correct... but like Bastiaan_NL I was thinking it was 5 days at first.

on another note, if this may be useful to someone...

I haven't been running at full power even now... limited to 85w on my 3900x (300k ppd avg so far) and reduced power on my 5700xt, netting close 1.2m ppd average up to this point... now, if I unleashed this cpu to stock... it'll go up to about 350k ppd... with PBO limits set to mother board limits (200w) it has gotten up to 400k, but you see how the power consumption jumps way faster than ppd... gpu has a little left in the tank... but folding doesn't really push the power limit much... but I could get about 10% more out of it by unleashing it...

TLDR... it really doesn't gain much by pushing hard, I'd just set a reasonable limit and leave it lol.

The OP states "5 days" and "22.2.21 12AM BST  to 26.2.21 12AM BST", so that's 5 days. Summoning @axipher or @ENTERPRISE! :classic_biggrin:

1 minute ago, Minotaurtoo said:

shipping you anthrax lol.. are you sure you are giving him YOUR address? ?

Oh don't worry, I'll make a fair trade: anthrax for me and an EMP for @Avacado.

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

23 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

The OP states "5 days" and "22.2.21 12AM BST  to 26.2.21 12AM BST", so that's 5 days. Summoning @axipher or @ENTERPRISE! :classic_biggrin:

In reality going from 12am to 12 am on those dates equates to 4 days in reality as you are not benefitting from the rest of the 5th day. That one is on me for now executing brain power. So you have just under 7 hours.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

28 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

@Bastiaan_NL @Avacado  ...you got just under 7 hours to poisen and electrocute each other; or do a rush order

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

11 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

In reality going from 12am to 12 am on those dates equates to 4 days in reality as you are not benefitting from the rest of the 5th day. That one is on me for now executing brain power. So you have just under 7 hours.

You are right there, insert facepalm :classic_laugh:

3 minutes ago, J7SC_Orion said:

@Bastiaan_NL @Avacado  ...you got just under 7 hours to poisen and electrocute each other; or do a rush order

I have one kidney for sale, who's buying? 

Edited by Bastiaan_NL

Owned

Full Rig Info

27 minutes ago, J7SC_Orion said:

Well I have close to that. Have a new 2950x and bought this today to replace the board I broke. Sadly struck out on BB drop today.

Screenshot_20210225-123511_Chrome.jpg

P.S. That guy in the video DID NOT DO THAT BUILD JUSTICE,  He should be flogged for not showing those puppies the hardline respect they deserve. 

Edited by Avacado

1 hour ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Almost there everyone, just a little more heat before the weekend.

• Thanks 1