Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Folding@Home 20th Anniversary Folding Competition - Lots of prizes up for grabs !

ENTERPRISE

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead
1.1k 976

I threw in an HD 7850 and GTX 980, as well as another Ryzen. I might be able to get 1 more rig up tomorrow :)

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

58 minutes ago, InverseTundra said:

Did they update how WU are cranked out in the year since i last folded. I dont ever remember the client telling me 2.8mil ppd with 2x 980ti's. Or is it like a welcome back bonus ?

There was an improvement in drivers last fall that boosted nvidia performance about 20-30% depending on GPU.  I average 2.5mil on 1070s so 2.8 on your setup seems reasonable.

1 hour ago, InverseTundra said:

Did they update how WU are cranked out in the year since i last folded. I dont ever remember the client telling me 2.8mil ppd with 2x 980ti's. Or is it like a welcome back bonus ?

10 minutes ago, franz said:

There was an improvement in drivers last fall that boosted nvidia performance about 20-30% depending on GPU.  I average 2.5mil on 1070s so 2.8 on your setup seems reasonable.

The major uptick in ppd for NVIDIA GPUs is from the new Core_22 WUs which are running on CUDA rather than OpenCL.  Performance boost across the board is 25% or so, with some WUs doing even better than that.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Avacado said:

How effing great and frustrating at the same time. GPU-z detects them all, yet only 3/5 work. These cards don't like advanced @ENTERPRISE

Detect 6.png

Ugh.png

Hmmm that is worrying. When you say they do not like "Advanced" what do you mean by that bud ? I am being slow haha. Already got 6 of these on order lol.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

1.1k 976

You guys have some compute beast machines!

I'm trying my hardest to get all possible cards in the house online. 

So far: 3 Ryzens, 2 Vega (56+64), GTX 980, HD 7850. About to try and get another HD 7850 and an R3 350 up and running too lol.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

Full Rig Info

2 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Hmmm that is worrying. When you say they do not like "Advanced" what do you mean by that bud ? I am being slow haha. Already got 6 of these on order lol.

They do not like advanced WU's. I wouldn't ever try to BETA tag the M40's. Interestingly enough they have CUDA 5.2 and I have had them run the advanced units successfully, but is sporadic. When I have the time, I will need to do a deep dive on their drivers, I had loaded the CUDA drivers from Nvidias site, but they range from 7.5 to 11.2, Will have to play with them more to get better stability. 

CUDA.png.307b330891c9481f8cae132af1e6615d.png

Basically, they have been running OpenCL instead of CUDA, which is weird because they have run CUDA before.  It might just be a driver thing for sure, as I swapped MOBOs last night. Might need to clean install OS and Tesla Drivers. Looking forward to getting the bifurcation cards as well.  Also as previously mentioned, I think 2 of the cards are dying. Make sure you get these tested asap to make a return if needed. I also have 3 more coming tomorrow.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/tesla-m40.c2771

Perf.png.7b1f826bf1084bc91fda22d19cbad3c8.png

Lastly, the cards would probably benefit big time from new thermal paste, considering they are 6 years old at this point and what we've bought has probably been working non-stopped in some data center somewhere. Will need a free weekend and A LOT of beer to get that tall order completed. 

At the end of the day, the numbers don't lie. If you can get them working right, for 120$, the M40 is hands down the highest PPD potential (Maybe not the most efficient) card on the market. They don't mine well, so they aren't being bought up by miners. 

Tesla.png.43bf99898844388d903a8459c7803a6f.png

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 2

No reason to run an ancient version of CUDA, and I believe that you will need at least CUDA version 9 to run the F@H CUDA WUs.

After you install the latest drivers I would delete the cores in your F@H data folder, and then start the client.  The client will automatically download new cores at start up. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tictoc said:

No reason to run an ancient version of CUDA, and I believe that you will need at least CUDA version 9 to run the F@H CUDA WUs.

After you install the latest drivers I would delete the cores in your F@H data folder, and then start the client.  The client will automatically download new cores at start up. 

Interesting and thank you for the tip!

"Should automatically enable CUDA support with Keplar and later GPU's." The M40 Is Maxwell. Again. I HAVE had them run CUDA before. I am thinking I just need to wipe and re-install everything. 

Link: https://foldingathome.org/2020/09/28/foldingathome-gets-cuda-support/

To get the most performance out of the new CUDA-enabled core, be sure to update your NVIDIA drivers! There’s no need to install the CUDA Toolkit.

While core22 0.0.13 should automatically enable CUDA support for Kepler and later NVIDIA GPU architectures, if you encounter any issues, please see the Folding Forum for help in troubleshooting. 

Edited by Avacado

Didn't notice that you were on Windows, so not sure how that all works.  I know that CUDA is bundled with the GeForce/RTX drivers, but I'm not positive if that's the case with the Tesla drivers.  Are these the drivers you installed? https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/170719/en-us

Edited by tictoc

1.1k 976

I have 4 computers crunching now. I had to leave a couple cores and integrated graphics idle for my kids to do schoolwork. My son and I configured a ghetto compute rig from spare parts in about 90 minutes this morning. I know I got a late start (time zone), but I'm trying hard to get some sort of prize lol. This is exciting, my son picked covid-19, my wife picked alzhemers, and we're running general on the two others. I have one more weak quadro (like 8400 chipset lol) to throw in later after my kids get done with school.

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

@axipherare the stats updated yet? ?

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

8 minutes ago, tictoc said:

Didn't notice that you were on Windows, so not sure how that all works.  I know that CUDA is bundled with the GeForce/RTX drivers, but I'm not positive if that's the case with the Tesla drivers.  Are these the drivers you installed? https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/170719/en-us

Yes. But the more we talk the more I am honing in on DDU and a fresh windows install. Will have time to test Wednesday. 

You alright there @Bastiaan_NL? Better get that 2nd 3090 going hoss.

Screenshot_20210223-092214_Chrome.thumb.jpg.480b33a7c3290d4c2b9ea09628c65e9e.jpg

AND..... Lets get the day started right.@Minotaurtoo

ppd.png.00fd0f61353c1e5e758284c0eeae5331.png

Can you feel it? Can you feel it coming in the air tonight? I know I can.

air.gif.c6193f7d2a5bb688dad2e1a5db5d7a89.gif

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, damric said:

I have 4 computers crunching now. I had to leave a couple cores and integrated graphics idle for my kids to do schoolwork. My son and I configured a ghetto compute rig from spare parts in about 90 minutes this morning. I know I got a late start (time zone), but I'm trying hard to get some sort of prize lol. This is exciting, my son picked covid-19, my wife picked alzhemers, and we're running general on the two others. I have one more weak quadro (like 8400 chipset lol) to throw in later after my kids get done with school.

Thanks for joining us :)

58 minutes ago, Avacado said:

You alright there @Bastiaan_NL? Better get that 2nd 3090 going hoss.

Nah I'm fine, I have some spare hardware that'll go online as soon as I'm scared. 
I enjoy some good competition, so for now I'll leave it like this :classic_biggrin:

• Thanks 3

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, Avacado said:

They do not like advanced WU's. I wouldn't ever try to BETA tag the M40's. Interestingly enough they have CUDA 5.2 and I have had them run the advanced units successfully, but is sporadic. When I have the time, I will need to do a deep dive on their drivers, I had loaded the CUDA drivers from Nvidias site, but they range from 7.5 to 11.2, Will have to play with them more to get better stability. 

CUDA.png.307b330891c9481f8cae132af1e6615d.png

Basically, they have been running OpenCL instead of CUDA, which is weird because they have run CUDA before.  It might just be a driver thing for sure, as I swapped MOBOs last night. Might need to clean install OS and Tesla Drivers. Looking forward to getting the bifurcation cards as well.  Also as previously mentioned, I think 2 of the cards are dying. Make sure you get these tested asap to make a return if needed. I also have 3 more coming tomorrow.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/tesla-m40.c2771

Perf.png.7b1f826bf1084bc91fda22d19cbad3c8.png

Lastly, the cards would probably benefit big time from new thermal paste, considering they are 6 years old at this point and what we've bought has probably been working non-stopped in some data center somewhere. Will need a free weekend and A LOT of beer to get that tall order completed. 

At the end of the day, the numbers don't lie. If you can get them working right, for 120$, the M40 is hands down the highest PPD potential (Maybe not the most efficient) card on the market. They don't mine well, so they aren't being bought up by miners. 

Tesla.png.43bf99898844388d903a8459c7803a6f.png

Thanks very much for the insight, plus that is a very good point. Will test the cards but then take them all down for a good clean and re-paste as 6 years is a long while for factory paste to still be all that efficient. Looks like I will have to buy myself a good quantity of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Let us know how you get on with your investigation/windows fresh install. Any tips you find may save me and others a lot of hassle haha.

• Thanks 1

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Nah I'm fine, I have some spare hardware that'll go online as soon as I'm scared. 
I enjoy some good competition, so for now I'll leave it like this :classic_biggrin:

...you play poker a lot ? ?

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

2 hours ago, Avacado said:

AND..... Lets get the day started right.@Minotaurtoo

ppd.png.00fd0f61353c1e5e758284c0eeae5331.png

yay, moving on up... wish I had some more hardware to throw at it.... 

1 hour ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

This guy... millions of points a day and comes in all "I have some spare hardware"  meanwhile, I'm installing folding at home on my tv remotes and my wii U hoping for a little help lol... wondering if this gaming keyboard can help... it has RGB so that means it's fast right???:wheee_orange:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Minotaurtoo said:

yay, moving on up... wish I had some more hardware to throw at it.... 

This guy... millions of points a day and comes in all "I have some spare hardware"  meanwhile, I'm installing folding at home on my tv remotes and my wii U hoping for a little help lol... wondering if this gaming keyboard can help... it has RGB so that means it's fast right???:wheee_orange:

Don't let him fool you. He's sandbagging about 1 - 1.2 million extra PPD per update. By extra hardware, he means his 2nd 3090. 

What He and I are truly after is that sweet, sweet 5 million point update. #AmiRight?

Edited by Avacado

18 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Don't let him fool you. He's sandbagging about 1 - 1.2 million extra PPD per update. By extra hardware, he means his 2nd 3090. 

I noticed some interesting divisions showing in the stats... the untouchables at the top... you and Bastiaan_NL... then a group of 3 titans followed by us normal mainstream folks with a slow smooth transition from high end to low end with me sitting right in the middle of mediocrity ?.  I know there are some who are "holding back"... and could likely catch up to the "untouchables" quickly if they wanted

Oh... for those who didn't know, and to embarrass him a little... Imports_R32 is my son ?... he'd be right up there just behind me if he hadn't shown up late... he has the exact same GPU and only a slightly slower CPU

Edit:  Imports, post a pic of your rig ?

Edited by Minotaurtoo

11 minutes ago, Minotaurtoo said:

I noticed some interesting divisions showing in the stats... the untouchables at the top... you and Bastiaan_NL... then a group of 3 titans followed by us normal mainstream folks with a slow smooth transition from high end to low end with me sitting right in the middle of mediocrity ?.  I know there are some who are "holding back"... and could likely catch up to the "untouchables" quickly if they wanted

Oh... for those who didn't know, and to embarrass him a little... Imports_R32 is my son ?... he'd be right up there just behind me if he hadn't shown up late... he has the exact same GPU and only a slightly slower CPU

Edit:  Imports, post a pic of your rig ?

Thats right @Imports_R32 lets get your OC tuned so you can beat out your old man. 

6 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Thats right @Imports_R32 lets get your OC tuned so you can beat out your old man. 

Well y’all asked for it, and please excuse the cable management, rather the lack thereof but @Minotaurtoo once I get it properly going I’m coming for you

31CCC1E0-550A-4CA0-8FDC-39703204D83B.jpeg

F3FF6315-EDD1-40E5-B38C-2C54C9986763.jpeg

• Thanks 1