Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Folding@Home 20th Anniversary Folding Competition - Lots of prizes up for grabs !

2 minutes ago, Imports_R32 said:

Well y’all asked for it, and please excuse the cable management, rather the lack thereof but @Minotaurtoo once I get it properly going I’m coming for you

lol I was hoping you would send one with the sides on... so those not in the know would be wondering how you were folding on an old HP

7 minutes ago, Imports_R32 said:

Sorry I took the sides off for the competition so it would cool better

don't blame you... better than what I did to my case.... carve on it.

@Avacado I'm trying to help him out here a bit... but on my wife's old PC I'm having the same trouble with her radeon 6850HD as you are with the Tesla M40's... wierd part... it's the active gpu so I know it's working... any ideas, let me know... maybe too old?

Just thought I would say, for all those who have registered with us for the competition, don't be shy and feel free to introduce yourselves in our New Members section :) 

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

29 minutes ago, Imports_R32 said:

Well y’all asked for it, and please excuse the cable management, rather the lack thereof but @Minotaurtoo once I get it properly going I’m coming for you

31CCC1E0-550A-4CA0-8FDC-39703204D83B.jpeg

F3FF6315-EDD1-40E5-B38C-2C54C9986763.jpeg

I want to jump through the screen and help you and hug you at the same time. Please tell me you live in North Carolina, I have a few spare cases you can have!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Minotaurtoo said:

don't blame you... better than what I did to my case.... carve on it.

@Avacado I'm trying to help him out here a bit... but on my wife's old PC I'm having the same trouble with her radeon 6850HD as you are with the Tesla M40's... wierd part... it's the active gpu so I know it's working... any ideas, let me know... maybe too old?

I sadly don't know much about the AMD side of GPU's (Have never owned one). Most likely is pretty old.  It does have OpenCL 1.2, so it should technically fold. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-6850.c255

14 minutes ago, Avacado said:

I want to jump through the screen and help you and hug you at the same time. Please tell me you live in North Carolina, I have a few spare cases you can have!

I must admit... I'm hoping he wins the case up for grabs... may the gods have mercy on his hardware.

Just now, Minotaurtoo said:

I must admit... I'm hoping he wins the case up for grabs... may the gods have mercy on his hardware.

Seeing as how it's random, if I win it, I'll gladly switch.  Last thing I need is a 7th case. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Avacado said:

I don’t I’m sorry but I appreciate it, this spawned out of me wanting a new case and a random burst of creativity plus a little help from @Minotaurtoo

Just now, Imports_R32 said:

I don’t I’m sorry but I appreciate it, this spawned out of me wanting a new case and a random burst of creativity plus a little help from @Minotaurtoo

don't blame that mess on me ?... all I did was shoe horn that motherboard and GPU in there lol

31 minutes ago, Avacado said:

I don’t I’m sorry but I appreciate it, this spawned out of me wanting a new case and a random burst of creativity 

5 minutes ago, Minotaurtoo said:

don't blame that mess on me ?... all I did was shoe horn that motherboard and GPU in there lol

I didn’t blame it on you, the cables are all me, mostly due to the fact I’m too lazy to go back and fix it

1 minute ago, Imports_R32 said:

I don’t I’m sorry but I appreciate it, this spawned out of me wanting a new case and a random burst of creativity 

I didn’t blame it on you, the cables are all me, mostly due to the fact I’m too lazy to go back and fix it

lol you'd have a hard time with cable management in that case if you were an expert with 100 years experience... I think you did well for what you were trying to work with there

1 hour ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...you play poker a lot ? ?

Not really :classic_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Minotaurtoo said:

yay, moving on up... wish I had some more hardware to throw at it.... 

This guy... millions of points a day and comes in all "I have some spare hardware"  meanwhile, I'm installing folding at home on my tv remotes and my wii U hoping for a little help lol... wondering if this gaming keyboard can help... it has RGB so that means it's fast right???:wheee_orange:

Make sure to set it at blue, that'll help with cooling all the hardware. :classic_laugh:

But on a serious note, every piece of hardware matters! It might sound like a luxury problem (it actually is lol), but I have too many GPU's for the systems I have. 

1 hour ago, Avacado said:

Don't let him fool you. He's sandbagging about 1 - 1.2 million extra PPD per update. By extra hardware, he means his 2nd 3090. 

What He and I are truly after is that sweet, sweet 5 million point update. #AmiRight?

That's a bit more than one 3090 can do, they are at 6.4 mil now with the 13440 units so that would be 800k per update.
Now there is still a system with a 1080ti in it, which is not mine but if I ask it nicely it'll run if it's not in use. 
And on the shelf are a 5700xt and a 1650 super. Those 2 combined should be good for at least 2 million points, but I ran out of motherboards and CPU's :classic_sad:

47 minutes ago, franz said:

Random hardware pic of the day.  2 Ubuntu rigs running BOINC and/or F@H

No 30xx GPUs in sight......

I always like to see what everyone is running, how are the temps without any fans moving the hot air away?

10 minutes ago, Minotaurtoo said:

:classic_laugh:

Edited by Bastiaan_NL

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

@Bastiaan_NL The rigs are setup in my basement with an ambient of around 64F this time of year.  Temps are rarely above 70c at 75%fan on all GPUs.  Its hard to see in the pic but each rig has a single Silverstone AP181 pushing fresh air to the GPUs from the wall.  I tried different positions and that provided the best temps.  Without them temps jump another 4-8C.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

And on the shelf are a 5700xt and a 1650 super. Those 2 combined should be good for at least 2 million points, but I ran out of motherboards and CPU's :classic_sad:

I'd be willing to pay international shipping to find those poor, sad, un-loved and neglected cards a decent home. 

We can negotiate a CPU/GPU swap

You know I have a 9900k, 8700k and a 1900x not in use :)

Edited by Avacado

5 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Make sure to set it at blue, that'll help with cooling all the hardware. :classic_laugh:

But on a serious note, every piece of hardware matters! It might sound like a luxury problem (it actually is lol), but I have too many GPU's for the systems I have. 

Blue it is then! also set blink at fastest pace so it's overclocked:wheee_orange:

@Imports_R32 I set your mom's HTPC to your username... I think I'll get enough WU's without it for now... will help you catch up a bit.

2 minutes ago, Avacado said:

I'd be willing to pay international shipping to find those poor, sad, un-loved and neglected cards a decent home. 

hey, you stole my line!... I was going to ask ?  Poor GPU's ?

Edited by Minotaurtoo

24 minutes ago, franz said:

@Bastiaan_NL The rigs are setup in my basement with an ambient of around 64F this time of year.  Temps are rarely above 70c at 75%fan on all GPUs.  Its hard to see in the pic but each rig has a single Silverstone AP181 pushing fresh air to the GPUs from the wall.  I tried different positions and that provided the best temps.  Without them temps jump another 4-8C.

That's not bad, I didn't notice the fans at first glance. 
I added a CoolerMaster 20cm fan as exhaust to the side of a system that had some trouble keeping the temps reasonable, it dropped 14°C on the top card.
The bottom card is pulling around 450watt, so no wonder the top card gets hot with that much heat at it's intake side.

22 minutes ago, Avacado said:

We can negotiate a CPU/GPU swap

You know I have a 9900k, 8700k and a 1900x not in use :)

Now don't say I don't love them and neglect them, they are actually standing in my direct view! 
I just gave them some time to rest after all the hard work they've done. If I can find some used hardware close I'll try to get the 5700xt online. 
And I know what you would do with the 5700xt, it's really efficient for something we are not going to mention here :classic_rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer though. It would have been way more convenient if I would have lived in the states, but that's just how it is. 

21 minutes ago, Minotaurtoo said:

Blue it is then! also set blink at fastest pace so it's overclocked:wheee_orange:

Make sure the frequency is the same as your bclk, you don't want them to interfere!

[edit]

@Avacado won the race to 30 million... Congrats, next one is mine! :cheers:

Edited by Bastiaan_NL

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 minute ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Now don't say I don't love them and neglect them, they are actually standing in my direct view! 
I just gave them some time to rest after all the hard work they've done. If I can find some used hardware close I'll try to get the 5700xt online. 
And I know what you would do with the 5700xt, it's really efficient for something we are not going to mention here :classic_rolleyes:

Hey, hey, hey. All of my folders with the exception of the M40's are loved immensely and showered with coolant admiration daily. It's not my fault you're a bad GPU parent and let those poor, darling GPU's operate in your sweatshop.  

sweat.jpg.2ffaa68f2bc641f554a675fa6a8a8d2c.jpg

7 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Make sure the frequency is the same as your bclk, you don't want them to interfere!

can it be a 1:2 ratio?  ?

Ok, I have to go to work now... won't be back for about 12 hours or so... 

18 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Hey, hey, hey. All of my folders with the exception of the M40's are loved immensely and showered with coolant admiration daily. It's not my fault you're a bad GPU parent and let those poor, darling GPU's operate in your sweatshop.  

You say I'm a bad parent, but my cards are all working... Can't say that about your setup!

But enough thrash talking for now, let's see who's the first to cross the 40mil mark ;)

17 minutes ago, Minotaurtoo said:

can it be a 1:2 ratio?  ?

Ok, I have to go to work now... won't be back for about 12 hours or so... 

You could do that, but make sure to use watercooling on the RGB controller ?

Take care and enjoy your day :)

Edited by Bastiaan_NL

Owned

Full Rig Info

5 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

but my cards are all working... Can't say that about your setup!

Oh, that's low.  Just you wait until I get those Bifurcation cards. 

Edited by Avacado

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead
1.1k 987

ooh I'm gaining with my army of little hardwares

I wonder if I'll catch pio

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Avacado said:

Oh, that's low.  Just you wait until I get those Bifurcation cards. 

I'm sorry, in the heat of the moment you say things you might regret.

No regrets though :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Bastiaan_NL

Owned

Full Rig Info