Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

The Foldaholics

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

I run advanced too because we're advanced and Foldaholics is not?

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

Review Manager
2.6k 2,585
2 hours ago, tictoc said:

My output will be down for the next 2 weeks due to the BOINC Pentathlon.  At some point in time it will probably drop to zero for 5-7 days.

R.I.P. Foldaholics. 

I don't think the Radeon VII is going to be a very good card in this comp (probably should get it back on money making duty).  There aren't really any recent entries on LARS, and if there were, the multiplier for this card would probably be something more like 4.4. The actual average ppd is probably down something like 20-25%, compared to what it was a few months ago.

I'll be testing out some other GPUs over the next few weeks, but maybe a GTX 980 or an R9 290 makes more sense.  @Avacado no matter what I do you will be folding on an NVIDIA GPU correct, and @axipher do you think you'll stick with the 5700? 

Edited by tictoc

Folding@Home Staff
726 370
10 minutes ago, tictoc said:

I don't think the Radeon VII is going to be a very good card in this comp (probably should get it back on money making duty :)).  There aren't really any recent entries on LARS, and if there were, the multiplier for this card would probably be something more like 4.4. The actual average ppd is probably down something like 20-25%, compared to what it was a few months ago.

I'll be testing out some other GPUs over the next few weeks, but maybe a GTX 980 or an R9 290 makes more sense.  @Avacado no matter what I do you will be folding on an NVIDIA GPU correct, and @axipher do you think you'll stick with the 5700? 

Yeah, 5700 is in the wife's gaming PC, so it's my best chance for being competitive.

Review Manager
2.6k 2,585
2 hours ago, tictoc said:

I don't think the Radeon VII is going to be a very good card in this comp (probably should get it back on money making duty :)).  There aren't really any recent entries on LARS, and if there were, the multiplier for this card would probably be something more like 4.4. The actual average ppd is probably down something like 20-25%, compared to what it was a few months ago.

Yes, going to have to be Nvidia, I don't own any AMD GPU's. 

• Thanks 1

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

Do you have a GTX 960?

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

The forum went down, but we're still winning. Whew.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Review Manager
2.6k 2,585

So the MOBO that runs the air Tesla's (One with the ETF card) would not power on after a forced windows update. I am still trouble shooting this one, but it's not going to be an easy fix. I really hope I didn't lose another X399 board, they are getting very expensive. I am going to be offline for a bit. Have family coming in this and next week and I won't have a lot of time to dedicate to rigs. I have an acre of land I have to get looking nice and a pool that has a chlorine generator that doesn't want to function. Sigh. I have the air system apart, I was going to swap out the 2950x in it anyway to move to the MOBO I have set aside for the 4 horsemen build. I am hoping I can have it going in the next few weeks. 

Thank you Windows... 

Good luck fixing it! Fingers crossed it's software related..

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

Review Manager
2.6k 2,585

Moved everything over to the new case and having quite a few 92/94 (PCI-e initialization) error codes being spit out on the MOBO. To boot I swapped out the 2950x into the board waiting for the 4 horsemen build and put in a 1900x that I had snagged off ebay some months back. The CPU was most likely mistreated and barely works, so I have ordered a new 1900x and will plan to swap out the non-functioning one. When I did manage to get into windows the few times, one of the Tesla's didn't show up on GPU-z and I can only assume I will have to run it at 1x with a mining riser as it's not playing nice with the 4x M.2.  riser. Such is life. Sorry I have been out of the ETF for a bit now, just have not had the time. This weekend I have no obligations and will have the card running again. I really am contemplating putting a GT710 under water and running with it. 

8 hours ago, Avacado said:

Moved everything over to the new case and having quite a few 92/94 (PCI-e initialization) error codes being spit out on the MOBO. To boot I swapped out the 2950x into the board waiting for the 4 horsemen build and put in a 1900x that I had snagged off ebay some months back. The CPU was most likely mistreated and barely works, so I have ordered a new 1900x and will plan to swap out the non-functioning one. When I did manage to get into windows the few times, one of the Tesla's didn't show up on GPU-z and I can only assume I will have to run it at 1x with a mining riser as it's not playing nice with the 4x M.2.  riser. Such is life. Sorry I have been out of the ETF for a bit now, just have not had the time. This weekend I have no obligations and will have the card running again. I really am contemplating putting a GT710 under water and running with it. 

Or you can remove the GT710, making the system headless, and manage the system remotely.

• Thanks 1

Review Manager
2.6k 2,585
1 hour ago, Diffident said:

Or you can remove the GT710, making the system headless, and manage the system remotely.

Thank you for the idea. 

I had thought to do that, however it returns an endless POST/BIOS loop of no PCI-e/video output device detected. No iGPU on TR boards. But mostly, I have F*** all experience with remote systems management, hell I don't even know what the IP address is on that rig. Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

Edited by Avacado

10 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Thank you for the idea. 

I had thought to do that, however it returns an endless POST/BIOS loop of no PCI-e/video output device detected. No iGPU on TR boards. But mostly, I have F*** all experience with remote systems management, hell I don't even know what the IP address is on that rig. Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

It seems odd that a threadripper board would complain about no GPU, it's almost a server.  I guess that's why MSI made a point to advertise that sometime last year they updated their AM4 bios's to work headless.  Most don't advertise the feature, but there are ones that do work headless.

Review Manager
2.6k 2,585
26 minutes ago, iamjanco said:

Lol. Thanks Jancs, I could easily hop on the router and find it, I was being facetious. 

Buuut, after reading that article, that was very useful, thank you. 

Edited by Avacado