Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

The Foldaholics

tictoc

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
752 1,609
On 01/06/2021 at 19:15, Avacado said:

Lol. Thanks Jancs, I could easily hop on the router and find it, I was being facetious. 

Buuut, after reading that article, that was very useful, thank you. 

Lol, consider it a "duh" moment, but don't get it confused with the AARP (some might think I'm a candidate).

"Derr" might work as well 😜

Edited by iamjanco
clarified my "duh" moment.

3 hours ago, Diffident said:

It seems odd that a threadripper board would complain about no GPU, it's almost a server.  I guess that's why MSI made a point to advertise that sometime last year they updated their AM4 bios's to work headless.  Most don't advertise the feature, but there are ones that do work headless.

No issues on the ASRock boards that I have.  The three boards will happily run headless, as long as there is a GPU in the primary slot.

16 minutes ago, tictoc said:

No issues on the ASRock boards that I have.  The three boards will happily run headless, as long as there is a GPU in the primary slot.

Though, technically that is headless, which should work with the Tesla's, the ideal would be to boot with no GPU installed....but since we're talking about folding...there's going to be a GPU anyway.

All MSI AM4 boards since AGESA 1.0.0.6 support headless.

Support discrete graphics card identification, allowing users to successfully enter OS with AM4 CPU (w/o integrated graphics) and without graphics card installed.

I first found out about it when someone posted this in r/linux last year.

Many Asrock boards also work without a GPU.  I came across a user list of boards that boot without a GPU probably this time last year.  I've been researching for a while.

• Thanks 1

The ASRock Rack board has a BMC with onboard VGA, so no issues there unless the primary video is set from auto or onboard to PCIe in the BIOS.  My Taichi board, on the release BIOS, would hang on post with no GPU installed.  I'm not sure if I ever tried it on a more recent BIOS.

There is really no technical reason for failing to post without a GPU, except for shoddy UEFI programming.

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

Whatcha guys working on with your hardware? What all were you testing @tictocto use in the event?

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

Review Manager
2.5k 2,572
11 hours ago, tictoc said:

The ASRock Rack board has a BMC with onboard VGA, so no issues there unless the primary video is set from auto or onboard to PCIe in the BIOS.  My Taichi board, on the release BIOS, would hang on post with no GPU installed.  I'm not sure if I ever tried it on a more recent BIOS.

There is really no technical reason for failing to post without a GPU, except for shoddy UEFI programming.

This is true, I purchased the same server board on your recommendation, but it is sitting in the WC build for the other 5 Teslas, I knew it had VGA. It's all good. 

Review Manager
2.5k 2,572
11 minutes ago, BWG said:

Whatcha guys working on with your hardware? What all were you testing @tictocto use in the event?

I have a back up 1900x arriving today and a free weekend to trouble shoot and get the systems going. I also landed my 4th Super Flower 1000w as I transitioned the 1600w out for the 4 horsemen build. In theory if I sprinkle some undelay on it, I could have the AC and WC Tesla systems running by Sunday. Thats the hope at least. I also received the review items yesterday, so I would like all my systems to be running so I can focus on the reviews. 

• Thanks 2

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
17 minutes ago, Avacado said:

I have a back up 1900x arriving today and a free weekend to trouble shoot and get the systems going. I also landed my 4th Super Flower 1000w as I transitioned the 1600w out for the 4 horsemen build. In theory if I sprinkle some undelay on it, I could have the AC and WC Tesla systems running by Sunday. Thats the hope at least. I also received the review items yesterday, so I would like all my systems to be running so I can focus on the reviews. 

Sounds like a lot of work ahead for you! I kinda knew what was up with you, but tictoc mentioned switching things around possibly. We're going live in July for sure though. I'm going to work on my draft post now.

Owned

GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

I have not had time to do much testing. Although it looks like I should run some low spec hardware for max points. I have a high clocking AMD 5770, that would probably give me twice the adjusted points compared to any of my other GPUs. In the little testing that I've done it looks like my 980 classy, that won a few times in the old TC, would also put out fairly decent points.

In order to really figure it out I need to free up my test bench. Hopefully that will happen in the next couple of days.  I have the chassis for my server stripped down, and I should be able to get that board off the test bench this week.

• Thanks 1

I took a day off from folding on the Radeon VII, while I sorted a few things out on my workstation. It's back up and running now.

I rolled back to the old closed-source amdgpu-pro driver to do some testing on some non-F@H work, and much to my surprise, the current WU that I'm running (beta WU 18201) is seeing a massive performance improvement running on the old driver.

amd-staging-drm-next kernel + ROCm 4.2 = 2M ppd

5.12.9 kernel + OpenCl from amdgpu-pro 20.30_1109583-1 = 3.1M ppd

• Thanks 1

Review Manager
2.5k 2,572

Sorry to say not much progress on getting a card running, had a LARGE coolant leak last night all over the WC board, was my fault. So I'll need to let it dry and do periodic heat guns. Also the newest 1000w PSU was faulty and sent it back to newegg this morning. I hope my sacrifices have pleased Kevdog. 

Folding@Home Staff
725 370

Hey @tictoc, assuming I stay on your team for the ETF now that it's launched officially, you can update my GPU to be an AMD RX 5700.

We just had some 30 C days outside and my AC was able to keep up with the RX 5700 being in the large living room no problem, so it will likely stay 24/7 folding now.  Might have some dips when it's used for gaming a couple hours a week by family, but otherwise dedicated to folding.

On 07/06/2021 at 13:41, axipher said:

Hey @tictoc, assuming I stay on your team for the ETF now that it's launched officially, you can update my GPU to be an AMD RX 5700.

We just had some 30 C days outside and my AC was able to keep up with the RX 5700 being in the large living room no problem, so it will likely stay 24/7 folding now.  Might have some dips when it's used for gaming a couple hours a week by family, but otherwise dedicated to folding.

Right on.  I'm still not  positive what I'll be folding on.  My schedule is pretty busy at the moment, but I'll have some time in the next few weeks to finalize what I'll be folding on.

• Thanks 1

Just a status update: Still waiting on the RMA from Newegg for the SF PSU that was faulty to get the rig running. I have 4 reviews to complete that have taken priority over getting the folding rig going and the Tesla project is dead in the water (Pun intended) until I have time to take it apart. So if you want me off the ETF for a bit I would understand. I realistically don't know when I am going to have any time in the near future to get a card running. 

Folding@Home Staff
256 376
1 hour ago, Avacado said:

Just a status update: Still waiting on the RMA from Newegg for the SF PSU that was faulty to get the rig running. I have 4 reviews to complete that have taken priority over getting the folding rig going and the Tesla project is dead in the water (Pun intended) until I have time to take it apart. So if you want me off the ETF for a bit I would understand. I realistically don't know when I am going to have any time in the near future to get a card running. 

If you need someone to swap in for you, I have a Quadro P620 (in Linux) that I can fold on.

What SF PSU were you having problems with?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, firedfly said:

If you need someone to swap in for you, I have a Quadro P620 (in Linux) that I can fold on.

What SF PSU were you having problems with?

The 1000W Plat you decided against due to the recent DOA reviews. I was one of them LOL.

One bad PSU out of 5 ain't bad. I have 4 1000's and a 1600. I still think they are fantastic. Most people would say one bad PSU is too many, but most people don't own 8 PSU's. 

Can ask @BWG if he thinks you should swap in. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 1

@Avacado No worries if you need to take a break.  Do you think you'll be back for the "official" start in July or is there no ETA on getting your rig back up and running?

@firedfly Are you still planning on dedicating the 3070 to 24/7 folding?  If Avacado is going to be on the bench for a bit, then we'd be happy to have you on the team with whatever GPU you want to fold on.

Edited by tictoc

Folding@Home Staff
256 376
46 minutes ago, tictoc said:

@firedfly Are you still planning on dedicating the 3070 to 24/7 folding?  If Avacado is going to be on the bench for a bit, then we'd be happy to have you on the team with whatever GPU you want to fold on.

I picked up a 3080ti today.  I plan to fold with that, but can't commit to 24/7 on it right now.

I have a quadro p620 that I can have running 24/7 for the team... If you are interested in it.

9 hours ago, tictoc said:

@Avacado No worries if you need to take a break.  Do you think you'll be back for the "official" start in July or is there no ETA on getting your rig back up and running?

No ETA. The PSU replacement should be here in a few days. If I can't get it running by this weekend, I won't be able to until the 4th of July weekend. Will let you know after the weekend. 

On 16/06/2021 at 05:06, Avacado said:

No ETA. The PSU replacement should be here in a few days. If I can't get it running by this weekend, I won't be able to until the 4th of July weekend. Will let you know after the weekend. 

👍

Edited by tictoc

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

Jack and Barbara, AGAIN!

Owned