Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

What to expect from Apple’s iPhone 15 event

Andrew

The iPhone 15 event will take place on September 12th, 2023, at 1PM ET / 10AM PT. As shown in the invite sent out by Apple, the company has named the event “Wonderlust.” It will take place live from Apple Park in Cupertino, California.

One of the biggest changes coming to this year’s iPhone lineup is the addition of USB-C

This time around, the most significant changes coming to the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max are reported to be a titanium frame, thinner bezels, and a potentially more expensive price.

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The iPhone might not be the only device due for a refresh.

It's always interesting to see what new and innovative features Samsung are going to put on their phones in 8 months time 🙃

There should also be some news on iOS/iPadOS 17 as well as macOS Sonoma, possibly a new iPad, and maybe the M3 announcement for their computers.

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

2 hours ago, Andrew said:
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The iPhone might not be the only device due for a refresh.

It's always interesting to see what new and innovative features Samsung are going to put on their phones in 8 months time 🙃

You mean like a microSD port? Or NFC? 

Apple was first to remove the headphone jack tho, so credit where credit is due. 

IMO apple doesn't innovate at all anymore. They just take existing tech and refine it a little, then charge more than anyone else does. Any tech company could do what Apple does, but only Apple has successfully turned a hardware brand into a glorified status symbol for flossy people. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

I would be tempted to try android again except everyone I talk to has apple and I don't want green bubbles lol.  To me its really a habbit thing, it works, I don't really do anyting but text and browse the web.  Its also why I stopped getting phones every upgrade.  I want until I pay it off and then get a new one.  

Owned

CPU: 12700k
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Tuf Z690 D4
RAM: G-Skill Trident 4000mhz DDR4
GPU: EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
SOUNDCARD: EVGA Nu Audio Pro
Full Rig Info

On 30/08/2023 at 07:14, UltraMega said:

Apple was first to remove the headphone jack tho, so credit where credit is due. 

IMO apple doesn't innovate at all anymore. They just take existing tech and refine it a little, then charge more than anyone else does. Any tech company could do what Apple does, but only Apple has successfully turned a hardware brand into a glorified status symbol for flossy people. 

Actually I believe Motorola was the first. But Apple made it popular and set the trend in the industry.

Anyway, I agree. I am not overly impressed by annual phone releases by either side. "Innovation" - yeah right.

Edited by Sir Beregond

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

On 30/08/2023 at 09:14, UltraMega said:

As someone in the user experience field but who is also extremely technical, I deal with these conflicting interests on a personal level regularly. My solution is to be familiar with Apple's software ecosystem out of necessity, but otherwise only own their most valuable product and nothing else: their stock.

Apple doesn't focus on cutting-edge hardware. Their focus has always been more oriented toward user experience. There are parts that I agree with and parts that I don't, but it largely appears to revolve around reducing the cognitive burden and technical jargon from the hardware that they want people to incorporate into their daily lives. A large part of it is obviously for their own profits, but there is also an effort to demystify technology because your average user doesn't care about the details.

Most people just want a product to work because they're not going to spend the time to configure something. The most configuration that a lot of people can handle is setting the darkness of their toasted bread. If that means taking away their ability to choose, so be it. There aren't enough people in the population who care versus those that just want to get on with their daily lives.

In reference to the OP, Samsung is a copycat F-boi. I have never owned a Galaxy phone and I don't intend to, especially now. If it wasn't for them trying to copy Apple at every turn one release after lambasting them in ads, we might still have a number of features available on flagship Android phones.

Needless to say, screw Samsung and their spineless hypocrisy.

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

I have nothing against Apple. They make decent products for people who are less familiar with tech and have spare money to burn. I just think it's silly to give them any praise on a tech site. They're like the Gucci of phones. Expensive status symbol that works as well as any other device. 

It does seem silly from my perspective that anyone who is into tech would use Apple today. I have a 512GB microSD card in my phone and a bunch of emulators and games on my ~$200 phone (LG Velvet 5G). Those things seem pretty basic to me, but impossible on an iPhone. It's one thing if it's just a phone and little more to the user, but I have a hard time understanding how anyone into tech doesn't see through the smoke and mirrors. 

More than anything else, Apple sells storage at a huge premium. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

The idea of what it means to "be into tech" is entirely subjective. There are Apple cultists (not the regular users) who would claim to be into tech but they never venture outside of MacRumors.

I've mentioned before that I had a former coworker who was "into tech" and a huge HP and Samsung superfan, but wasn't bright enough to realize that the one time it makes complete sense to choose Samsung over HP when they have any competing products (SSDs), he completely screwed the pooch. This was in the SATA 2.5" SSD heyday when Samsung 8x0 Pro SSDs had no equal.

Everyone has blind spots. Not everyone will own up to them.

Back to the topic, aside from being better than the soft/paper launches that other companies do, these Apple product release announcements are almost always fluff. The only reason I'm even aware of this one is the big deal about the iPhone moving from Lightning to USB-C because it's been discussed everywhere. Thank EU.

• Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

3 minutes ago, Snakecharmed said:

The idea of what it means to "be into tech" is entirely subjective. There are Apple cultists (not the regular users) who would claim to be into tech but they never venture outside of MacRumors.

I've mentioned before that I had a former coworker who was "into tech" and a huge HP and Samsung superfan, but wasn't bright enough to realize that the one time it makes complete sense to choose Samsung over HP when they have any competing products (SSDs), he completely screwed the pooch. This was in the SATA 2.5" SSD heyday when Samsung 8x0 Pro SSDs had no equal.

Back to the topic, aside from being better than the soft/paper launches that other companies do, these Apple product release announcements are almost always fluff. The only reason I'm even aware of this one is the big deal about the iPhone moving from Lightning to USB-C because it's been discussed everywhere. Thank EU.

I guess when I say "into tech", I mean like the way people on sites like this are. People who have a decent understanding of the hardware to the point that they are able to judge the raw specs for themselves. Apple cultists don't fall into that category generally speaking since they don't have a technical understanding, just a strong preference. 

• Thanks 1
  • Respect 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

11 hours ago, Snakecharmed said:

Rumours are USB-C is only going to be available in the EU. On the one hand, I can see Apple doing this. See: mmWave 5G only being available in the US and I believe Canada. But also, it seems like a waste of money to not making all of them USB-C, like they did with the iPad Pro. We'll find out soon enough anyway.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

I was on Android for 9 years from 2011 to 2020, when I got my first iPhone. Android is cool when you're like 15 years old and you're flashing a custom ROM or Kernel every week and you're adding custom icon packs and sh 1 t. As you mature a bit, your tinkering patience goes way down and you realize that you just want your tech to work. This is especially true if you're working in IT and you have to do lots of troubleshooting for other people. You just get tired of tinkering. That's where Apple comes in. No matter the situation, my iPhone just works. There is no lag or jankyness (lag is exactly what made me switch from the OnePlus 6T btw). The iPhone may not do everything a flagship Android phone does, but that's fine with me. This is coming from someone who has spent time tuning their RAM btw. It's about peace of mind, not about me being knowledgeable or not. My priorities have changed. I'd rather spend my time tinkering with my computer than my phone. Or better yet, play games or go out and not tinker at all. Wouldn't it be great if technology just worked? Imagine that!

Apple understands that technology should not be an inconvenience. What I love most of all is the fact that you only have one choice: the iPhone, not 500 options like on Android. I can't be bothered to deal with that and I shouldn't have to. That's what the future should be like: You have a 'phone', you play games on your 'computer' and everything just works. No brand, no choice, everyone is using the same devices, everyone is connected in the same way. Devices adapt to each individual's needs, as they should, not the other way around. You need a new phone? No problem, just walk into the store and say "I'd like to buy a phone". Then they sell you the same phone everyone else on the planet has. Simple, not like the rubbish we deal with today. That's what an advanced civilization would do and Apple is the closest to achieving that. People are more divided than they've ever been and it's holding us back. Instead of using technology to enhance our lives and connect with people, we're arguing why our devices are better than the other person's.

Edited by rares495

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI X670E Carbon
GPU: MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio
RAM: Corsair 2x32GB @6000 MT/s 28-36-36-28-30-58 1T
SSD/NVME: Kingston Fury Renegade 1 TB
SSD/NVME 2: Kingston Fury Renegade 4 TB
PSU: Super Flower Leadex V Pro Gold 1000W
CASE: be quiet! Silent Base 802
Full Rig Info

5 hours ago, rares495 said:

I was on Android for 9 years from 2011 to 2020, when I got my first iPhone. Android is cool when you're like 15 years old and you're flashing a custom ROM or Kernel every week and you're adding custom icon packs and sh 1 t. As you mature a bit, your tinkering patience goes way down and you realize that you just want your tech to work. This is especially true if you're working in IT and you have to do lots of troubleshooting for other people. You just get tired of tinkering. That's where Apple comes in. No matter the situation, my iPhone just works. There is no lag or jankyness (lag is exactly what made me switch from the OnePlus 6T btw). The iPhone may not do everything a flagship Android phone does, but that's fine with me. This is coming from someone who has spent time tuning their RAM btw. It's about peace of mind, not about me being knowledgeable or not. My priorities have changed. I'd rather spend my time tinkering with my computer than my phone. Or better yet, play games or go out and not tinker at all. Wouldn't it be great if technology just worked? Imagine that!

Apple understands that technology should not be an inconvenience. What I love most of all is the fact that you only have one choice: the iPhone, not 500 options like on Android. I can't be bothered to deal with that and I shouldn't have to. That's what the future should be like: You have a 'phone', you play games on your 'computer' and everything just works. No brand, no choice, everyone is using the same devices, everyone is connected in the same way. Devices adapt to each individual's needs, as they should, not the other way around. You need a new phone? No problem, just walk into the store and say "I'd like to buy a phone". Then they sell you the same phone everyone else on the planet has. Simple, not like the rubbish we deal with today. That's what an advanced civilization would do and Apple is the closest to achieving that. People are more divided than they've ever been and it's holding us back. Instead of using technology to enhance our lives and connect with people, we're arguing why our devices are better than the other person's.

I don't have any of the problems you describe with my android phone at all. 

Maybe don't buy a One Plus android phone in the future. 

"as you mature" get out of here with that BS. 

You're also completely ignoring the biggest factor with Apple, which is the price. You are right that its a simple choice when you buy an iPhone, all the options are equally over priced and underfeatured. 

As I've matured, I've gotten less likely to waste money which is why I don't buy any Apple products. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

I actually just had a look at the phones available from my network provider. I sorted with price being the highest first. These are the top 20:

1. Google - £1749
  2. Samsung - £1749
  3. Samsung - £1479
  4. Sony - £1299
  5. Samsung - £1209
  6. Apple - £1169
  7. Samsung - £1049
  8. Apple - £1019
  9. Samsung - £929
  10. Google - £849
  11. Apple - £829
  12. Motorola - £799
  13. Samsung - £789
  14. Apple - £759
  15. Apple - £729
  16. Apple - £689
  17. Google - £599
  18. Apple - £584
  19. Samsung - £449
  20. Apple - £449

Beyond that, they're all pretty much the same price until you get to the 8 year old Windows Phone Nokias.

The top two Android phones are tied at £580 more expensive than the most expensive iPhone and the iPhone doesn't even make it in the top 5 most expensive phones available. The only feature those two have that the iPhones don't have is they can fold, not sure why anyone would want that anyway. Those folding screens are made of plastic and scratch incredibly easily. The £1479 Samsung doesn't fold and doesn't do anything that the £1169 iPhone can't but despite that, it's £310 more expensive.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

45 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I actually just had a look at the phones available from my network provider. I sorted with price being the highest first. These are the top 20:

1. Google - £1749
  2. Samsung - £1749
  3. Samsung - £1479
  4. Sony - £1299
  5. Samsung - £1209
  6. Apple - £1169
  7. Samsung - £1049
  8. Apple - £1019
  9. Samsung - £929
  10. Google - £849
  11. Apple - £829
  12. Motorola - £799
  13. Samsung - £789
  14. Apple - £759
  15. Apple - £729
  16. Apple - £689
  17. Google - £599
  18. Apple - £584
  19. Samsung - £449
  20. Apple - £449

Beyond that, they're all pretty much the same price until you get to the 8 year old Windows Phone Nokias.

The top two Android phones are tied at £580 more expensive than the most expensive iPhone and the iPhone doesn't even make it in the top 5 most expensive phones available. The only feature those two have that the iPhones don't have is they can fold, not sure why anyone would want that anyway. Those folding screens are made of plastic and scratch incredibly easily. The £1479 Samsung doesn't fold and doesn't do anything that the £1169 iPhone can't but despite that, it's £310 more expensive.

My phone is $200. I've never spent as much as any of the phones listed, and probably never will. There is no reason to spend more. 

Apple isn't the only maker of expensive phones, just the only one that only makes expensive phones. I wouldn't hold Samsung in high regard either. 

I'm not trying to get into an android vs apple debate tho, but I'll add that IMO, a reasonable price for a phone is $150-$300. I think anyone here would be hard pressed to list anything a more expensive phone can do beyond just hitting higher benchmark scores that actually justifies spending more. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

Full Rig Info

My phone was $80, Google Pixel 4XL.  Is it the newest phone?  No.  Does it make phone calls?  Yes.  All this talking of "maturing"..... :lachen:

iPhone = Android as far as ease of use.  Period.  You can grab a cheap or expensive Android, turn it on, install apps.  It's that easy.  Just like the iPhone.  You don't HAVE to customize your icons, flash custom ROMs, change themes........you don't have to do all the customizable stuff.  Androids work just as easily as iPhones do out of the box.  That argument is definitely "debunked".  Androids have the ABILITY to do those things, yes (if you buy the right one).

I don't normally agree with @UltraMega very often, but yeah that's something I've noticed.  As I've personally "matured" (LOL), I've found I "waste" less money on useless stuff like what phone I'm using.  My phone makes phone calls and it runs the apps I NEED it to run.  I don't NEED the latest and greatest $1500 smart phone to run a browser and my banking app, and to make phone calls.  Seriously, I was running a dumb phone for 3 years until a few months ago......and THAT phone worked fine for me.  You want to "mature"?  Be smart with your money.  

Now.....buying HARDWARE I don't need on the other hand............  yeah shutup. 😛  

• Respect 2

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

The only things that iPhones unequivocally do better are a result of their proprietary and/or closed ecosystems that Apple strongarms consumers into using (or get shamed by their peers into using) through raw unit sales. I'm talking about the likes of iMessage, FaceTime, and AirDrop. That's anti-consumer abuse of their market position. It's no wonder Nvidia is looking to Apple's business model as their inspiration for the GPU market.

I'll leave the "advanced civilization" nonsense for another day millennium because there's so much presumption and projection going on there that I wouldn't even know where to start. It's a damn phone, not nuclear fusion.

$325 mint condition LG V60 (2020) purchased in May 2022 here. I'd rather buy a mint condition Pioneer DEX-P99RS (just give me another year or two, because I very well might) and not come remotely close to using it to its full capabilities rather than doing the same with a brand new flagship phone.

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info