Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

 

Registered users can: 

  • Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Valve’s Steam Officially Ends Support For Windows 7 and Windows 8


bonami2

Recommended Posts

Social Media Manager
1.4k 765
Quote

On Valve's Steam Support page, the firm has revealed that future platform updates won't include support for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, which means that older versions of Microsoft's operating system will be deprived of security updates and technical support. This means that the users on the mentioned platforms are advised to switch to the latest versions anytime soon, given that utilizing Steam on Windows 7/8 won't be the ideal choice.

WCCFTECH.COM

Steam has officially dropped support for "outdated" Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows 8, marking the end of an era for gamers.

 

Owned

 Share

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrators
5.8k 2,824

A shame, well for Windows 7, however I understand STEAMs stance.

£3000

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

 Share

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This move seems to have ticked off a lot more people than when they cut Windows XP support.  Interesting.

Personally, I still say that Valve should release a "vintage client" capable of installing on any version of windows (with a disclaimer about security risks).  Something that allows the games to be installed and played, and that's it.  No extra features (so no need for the Chrome bits).  They could do this, Steam used to work even on Windows 98.  So they absolutely CAN do it.

The reason this upsets me, is because there's TONS of games that I personally own, that only work on older Windows.  Those games, that I've paid for, are slowly being taken away from me by Steam, since I can no longer play them.  A good example honestly is Quake.  Yes, there's the new remake.  Yes, it does run on Windows 10.  But it doesn't feel the same AT ALL compared to a Windows 98 or XP install of it on older hardware.  If the game says it requires Windows XP, 7, 98 or whatever, we should be able to play it on those OS's since we've payed for the title to play.

 

Just my 2 cents.  I know advancement and all that, but this really wouldn't be THAT hard for Valve to pull off.  They just won't. -_-

If something isn't done about this soon by somebody, I might just start frequenting GoG sales instead of Steam sales and start migrating my library over to GoG.  At least those games are DRM free. 🙂 

Edited by pioneerisloud
  • Agreed 2

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

This move seems to have ticked off a lot more people than when they cut Windows XP support.  Interesting.

Personally, I still say that Valve should release a "vintage client" capable of installing on any version of windows (with a disclaimer about security risks).  Something that allows the games to be installed and played, and that's it.  No extra features (so no need for the Chrome bits).  They could do this, Steam used to work even on Windows 98.  So they absolutely CAN do it.

The reason this upsets me, is because there's TONS of games that I personally own, that only work on older Windows.  Those games, that I've paid for, are slowly being taken away from me by Steam, since I can no longer play them.  A good example honestly is Quake.  Yes, there's the new remake.  Yes, it does run on Windows 10.  But it doesn't feel the same AT ALL compared to a Windows 98 or XP install of it on older hardware.  If the game says it requires Windows XP, 7, 98 or whatever, we should be able to play it on those OS's since we've payed for the title to play.

 

Just my 2 cents.  I know advancement and all that, but this really wouldn't be THAT hard for Valve to pull off.  They just won't. -_-

If something isn't done about this soon by somebody, I might just start frequenting GoG sales instead of Steam sales and start migrating my library over to GoG.  At least those games are DRM free. 🙂 

Probably not really many or any games that will run on windows 7 but not 10/11. The only game I've ever had trouble with on 10 was F.E.A.R. but I found a simple fix for it online and got it working. That game was originally for XP anyway tho. 

Owned

 Share

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Social Media Manager
1.4k 765
1 hour ago, pioneerisloud said:

This move seems to have ticked off a lot more people than when they cut Windows XP support.  Interesting.

Personally, I still say that Valve should release a "vintage client" capable of installing on any version of windows (with a disclaimer about security risks).  Something that allows the games to be installed and played, and that's it.  No extra features (so no need for the Chrome bits).  They could do this, Steam used to work even on Windows 98.  So they absolutely CAN do it.

The reason this upsets me, is because there's TONS of games that I personally own, that only work on older Windows.  Those games, that I've paid for, are slowly being taken away from me by Steam, since I can no longer play them.  A good example honestly is Quake.  Yes, there's the new remake.  Yes, it does run on Windows 10.  But it doesn't feel the same AT ALL compared to a Windows 98 or XP install of it on older hardware.  If the game says it requires Windows XP, 7, 98 or whatever, we should be able to play it on those OS's since we've payed for the title to play.

 

Just my 2 cents.  I know advancement and all that, but this really wouldn't be THAT hard for Valve to pull off.  They just won't. -_-

If something isn't done about this soon by somebody, I might just start frequenting GoG sales instead of Steam sales and start migrating my library over to GoG.  At least those games are DRM free. 🙂 

I think you can run an older version they just says that the store chrome browser will be unsecured.

Owned

 Share

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UltraMega said:

Probably not really many or any games that will run on windows 7 but not 10/11. The only game I've ever had trouble with on 10 was F.E.A.R. but I found a simple fix for it online and got it working. That game was originally for XP anyway tho. 

This is true, however the problem with the Windows 7 cutoff is that there's still a LOT of machines out there that run 7, but not 10.  If a PC has AMD's K8 architecture (Athlon64 x2), or a Core 2 or older in it, its no longer allowed to run Steam, as such, no longer allowed to run games you've paid for.

No, not a LOT of people are doing that and I can agree with that.

However there ARE a growing number of retro enthusiasts who are ticked off about this.

 

I'm personally really hoping for something to come out from Valve about a retro client.  It'd solve all of these problems for everyone.

 

  

16 minutes ago, bonami2 said:

I think you can run an older version they just says that the store chrome browser will be unsecured.

 

Don't quote me on this, but I THINK as of right now you can still download and install Steam on 7.  The problem will be when Chrome gets an update that bricks Windows 7 installs of Chrome.  That's probably when Steam will quit working entirely, since its so interwebbed with Chrome.

Edited by pioneerisloud

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

This is true, however the problem with the Windows 7 cutoff is that there's still a LOT of machines out there that run 7, but not 10.  If a PC has AMD's K8 architecture (Athlon64 x2), or a Core 2 or older in it, its no longer allowed to run Steam, as such, no longer allowed to run games you've paid for.

No, not a LOT of people are doing that and I can agree with that.

However there ARE a growing number of retro enthusiasts who are ticked off about this.

 

I'm personally really hoping for something to come out from Valve about a retro client.  It'd solve all of these problems for everyone.

 

Windows 10 should be able to run on anything windows 7 can run on. I know I have installed windows 10 on a Core 2 Duo CPU. Even Pentium 4 can run windows 10. Athlon64 X2 can also run windows 10, I just searched for it on youtube and saw videos of windows 10 running on a Pentium 4 and an Athlon64 X2. 

 

Every PC that runs windows 7 can be upgraded to 10, and the upgrade is still free despite reports that it isn't. It's the last windows OS to support 32 bit. Windows 10 can run on PCs that it really shouldn't, but it's no worse than 7 on older machines. I think you would have to go pack to Pentium 3 to find hardware that windows 10 won't run on, but neither will 7. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

 Share

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

 

Windows 10 should be able to run on anything windows 7 can run on. I know I have installed windows 10 on a Core 2 Duo CPU. Even Pentium 4 can run windows 10. Athlon64 X2 can also run windows 10, I just searched for it on youtube and saw videos of windows 10 running on a Pentium 4 and an Athlon64 X2. 

 

Every PC that runs windows 7 can be upgraded to 10, and the upgrade is still free despite reports that it isn't. It's the last windows OS to support 32 bit. Windows 10 can run on PCs that it really shouldn't, but it's no worse than 7 on older machines. I think you would have to go pack to Pentium 3 to find hardware that windows 10 won't run on, but neither will 7. 

Nope, that is incorrect.  You have to run x86 version of Windows 10 on K8 and Core 2.  They lack the instructions required to run Windows 8.1 and newer x64 versions.  So no, not every PC that runs Windows 7 can upgrade to 10.  That's a big part of the problem with this Steam thing.

As I said though, its probably not going to matter anyway, and I'll probably stop buying games on Steam and switch to GoG titles.  Seems to be what a lot of the retro PC guys are doing too.

It's a non issue for most people that upgrade, yes.  The issue comes in when you buy a game, you have a system (older) that meets the minimum requirements, and let's say Windows XP or 7 or whatever is the minimum requirement.  Steam is now forcing those people to upgrade to Windows 10 (or lose their games if they can't).  Yes, its a Chrome issue at the heart of it though, so its "outside of Valve's hands"..........but its really not when they could just create an x86/64 capable "vintage client" for just installing the games.  They COULD do that, they just won't.

Edited by pioneerisloud

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

Nope, that is incorrect.  You have to run x86 version of Windows 10 on K8 and Core 2.  They lack the instructions required to run Windows 8.1 and newer x64 versions.  So no, not every PC that runs Windows 7 can upgrade to 10.  That's a big part of the problem with this Steam thing.

 

I have literally upgraded a core 2 duo PC from 7 to 10, they don't lack anything required to run windows 10. It was my moms PC. I built it. 

I can assure you it works. 

 

x86 has nothing to do with it. Windows 10 supports both 32-bit and x86/64-bit. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

 Share

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, UltraMega said:

 

I have literally upgraded a core 2 duo PC from 7 to 10, they don't lack anything required to run windows 10. It was my moms PC. I built it. 

I can assure you it works. 

And I have like 8x K8's sitting here that are still more than capable of gaming.  I assure you, it doesn't work.

 

I haven't personally tested a Core 2, maybe Core 2 received the required instruction set.  It might have been Pentium D / Pentium 4 being the cutoff for Intel, I can't say 110% sure on Intel's side since I haven't tried myself personally.  I figured same era they'd have similar instructions though.  K8 for sure doesn't work.  You need a K10 CPU (Phenom II) or newer with AMD to run Windows 8.1 x64 or newer OS's.

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, pioneerisloud said:

And I have like 8x K8's sitting here that are still more than capable of gaming.  I assure you, it doesn't work.

 

I haven't personally tested a Core 2, maybe Core 2 received the required instruction set.  It might have been Pentium D / Pentium 4 being the cutoff for Intel, I can't say 110% sure on Intel's side since I haven't tried myself personally.  I figured same era they'd have similar instructions though.  K8 for sure doesn't work.  You need a K10 CPU (Phenom II) or newer with AMD to run Windows 8.1 x64 or newer OS's.

 

IDK what to tell you, maybe there was some other issue in the way when you last tried to run windows 10 on any of those CPUs. Window 10 absolutely works on those CPUs. 

Owned

 Share

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

 

IDK what to tell you, maybe there was some other issue in the way when you last tried to run windows 10 on any of those CPUs. Window 10 absolutely works on those CPUs. 

No, it doesn't......  🤣

They are missing the CMPXCHG16b instruction set, which is a REQUIREMENT for Windows 8.1 and newer x64 OS's.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/is-it-impossible-to-install-windows-8-1-64bit-on-a-socket-939-computer.2396937/

I did say, that MAYBE, just maybe the Core 2 architecture has it?  It's the same generation as K8, so its iffy, I'm not sure since I haven't tried.  Pentium D / 4 though for sure won't work either.

Edited by pioneerisloud

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

No, it doesn't......  🤣

They are missing the CMPXCHG16b instruction set, which is a REQUIREMENT for Windows 8.1 and newer x64 OS's.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/is-it-impossible-to-install-windows-8-1-64bit-on-a-socket-939-computer.2396937/

 

The thread you just linked doesn't say that any particular CPU won't work with windows 10, just that it's not a 64-bit CPU. 

The core 2 Duo CPU that was in my mom's PC at the time was a 32-bit CPU. It would not work with windows 10 64-bit but worked fine with 32-bit. 

Perhaps you tried to install the 64-bit version of windows 10 on this older hardware? The 32 and 64 bit versions are separate installers. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

 Share

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

 

The thread you just linked doesn't say that any particular CPU won't work with windows 10, just that it's not a 64-bit CPU. 

The AMD Athlon64 isn't a 64 bit?  K, explain how it runs XP x64, Vista x64, and 7 x64 just fine then?

As I've been stating, its missing the CMPXCHG16b instruction set, which is a REQUIREMENT of 8.1 x64 and newer OS's.  That's why older systems can't upgrade to 10 (or even 8.1).

Edited by pioneerisloud

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Premium Gold
591 1,096
9 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

No, it doesn't......  🤣

They are missing the CMPXCHG16b instruction set, which is a REQUIREMENT for Windows 8.1 and newer x64 OS's.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/is-it-impossible-to-install-windows-8-1-64bit-on-a-socket-939-computer.2396937/

I did say, that MAYBE, just maybe the Core 2 architecture has it?  It's the same generation as K8, so its iffy, I'm not sure since I haven't tried.  Pentium D / 4 though for sure won't work either.

 

Core 2 Duo/Quad definitely works out of the box, 64-bit or otherwise. 

 

Windows 10 32 bit does work on Clawhammer. 64-bit you're SOL. 

 

*edit*: at least it does on older versions, dunno if you can get 22H2 working. 

 

 

Edited by The Pook
  • Respect 1

1337.69

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel i9 10900K @ 51/47 1.26v
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z590 Maximus XIII Hero
RAM: G.Skill DDR4-4266 CL17 32GB @ 4300 15-16-16-35 2T 1.55v
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3080 Ti
SSD/NVME: Team Group MP34 4TB NVMe + WD Blue 4TB SATA SSD
CPU COOLER: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Noctua iPPC 3000
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1000W
CASE: Fractal Design Meshify S2
Full Rig Info

420.42

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @ 47/43 1.22v
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock Z390 Taichi
RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 CL16 64GB @ 3200 16-20-20-38 1T 1.35v
SSD/NVME: SN850 1TB + HP EX950 2TB + SX8200 2TB NVMe
HDD: 4x Seagate Exos X16 14TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
OTHER: LSI Logic 9207-8i
NETWORK: Intel X540 10 GbE
Full Rig Info

$600

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 7 5825U
MOTHERBOARD: SFX14-42G-R607
RAM: 16GB LPDDR4-4266
SSD/NVME: SK Hynix P31 Gold 2TB M.2 NVME
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung PM991a 512GB M.2 NVME
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti 4GB 35W @ 55W
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
MONITOR: 14" 1080p IPS 60hz @ 72hz
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, pioneerisloud said:

The AMD Athlon64 isn't a 64 bit?  K, explain how it runs XP x64, Vista x64, and 7 x64 just fine then?

The thread you linked didn't mention a specific CPU, just some instruction set. 

 

And not for nothing, but some thread from 2014 isn't exactly meaningful evidence of anything. Just search for a video of windows 10 running on these parts you've mentioned.

 

Again, I have installed 10 on a Core 2 Duo and even weaker CPUs. I know it works. 

Owned

 Share

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Pook said:

 

Core 2 Duo/Quad definitely works out of the box, 64-bit or otherwise. 

 

Windows 10 32 bit apparently does work on Clawhammer. 

 

*edit*: at least it does on older versions, dunno if you can get 22H2 working. 

 

 

Yes, x86 version of Windows 10 will work fine on K8 since it doesn't require the CMPXCHG16b instruction set.

I said I wasn't sure about the Core 2 thing.  So yeah, Core 2 works, Pentium D / 4 doesn't then.  🙂  

  • Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UltraMega said:

The thread you linked didn't mention a specific CPU, just some instruction set. 

 

And not for nothing, but some thread from 2014 isn't exactly meaningful evidence of anything. Just search for a video of windows 10 running on these parts you've mentioned.

 

Again, I have installed 10 on a Core 2 Duo and even weaker CPUs. I know it works. 

Okay here, you find me a video of Windows 10 x64 actually running on a K8.  I'll wait.

  • Great Idea 1

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, pioneerisloud said:

Yes, x86 version of Windows 10 will work fine on K8 since it doesn't require the CMPXCHG16b instruction set.

I said I wasn't sure about the Core 2 thing.  So yeah, Core 2 works, Pentium D / 4 doesn't then.  🙂  

Pentium D and Pentium 4 work.

 

 

Everything that can run 7 can run 10. That's really all there is to it. 

 

Owned

 Share

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, pioneerisloud said:

Okay here, you find me a video of Windows 10 x64 actually running on a K8.  I'll wait.

 

Is this K8? Not that familiar with older AMD CPUs.

 

 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

 Share

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

 

Is this K8? Not that familiar with older AMD CPUs.

 

 

Sigh, that's Windows 10 x86.  Are you gaming with only 2GB of RAM?  Do you really think a P4 is going to game with Windows 10?  It will with 7.  With 10, there's not enough CPU leftover.

Edited by pioneerisloud

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, pioneerisloud said:

Sigh, that's Windows 10 x86.  Are you gaming with only 2GB of RAM?

It says 64 bit right here, at 7 seconds in to the video. 
 

 

 

Owned

 Share

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a fun aside, but I think @pioneerisloud entire premise was that there are a small segment of retro enthusiasts who want to run computers on retro OS's that they have no intention of upgrading to Windows 10 on, and since the games they bought have a required spec of those same retro OS's, losing access to the games because of the game platform dropping support (unrelated to the games themselves) isn't very fun. So I don't think whether or not you can upgrade to Windows 10 is anything they give a rat's about in this context @UltraMega. I'm sure @pioneerisloud already has a W10 or W11 box.

  • Respect 3

Showcase

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Ventura
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Premium Bronze
101 132
10 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

Yes, x86 version of Windows 10 will work fine on K8 since it doesn't require the CMPXCHG16b instruction set.

I said I wasn't sure about the Core 2 thing.  So yeah, Core 2 works, Pentium D / 4 doesn't then.  🙂  

That 4GiB memory limit is a real PITA. Not to mention, Windows 11-forward is depreciating 32-bit Install support.
Also, non-64-bit Execs are typically limited to 2GB RAM. (There's more than a couple games over the years I'd had to edit the exe on to not run out of RAM).

 

Quote

The CMPXCHG16B instruction performs an atomic compare-and-exchange on 16-byte values. It is supported on all modern x86-64 processors, although some early AMD64 CPUs did not support it. This instruction may also be referred to as CompareExchange128.

Quote
  • Early AMD64 processors lacked the CMPXCHG16B instruction, which is an extension of the CMPXCHG8B instruction present on most post-80486 processors. Similar to CMPXCHG8B, CMPXCHG16B allows for atomic operations on octal words. This is useful for parallel algorithms that use compare and swap on data larger than the size of a pointer, common in lock-free and wait-free algorithms. Without CMPXCHG16B one must use workarounds, such as a critical section or alternative lock-free approaches. Its absence also prevents 64-bit Windows prior to Windows 8.1 from having a user-mode address space larger than 8 terabytes. The 64-bit version of Windows 8.1(onwards) requires the instruction.

More info:

SUPERUSER.COM

I'm currently trying to find out whether or not it would be a good idea to update my slightly dated notebook (Windows 7, 64-bit) to Windows 10. The problem is that Microsoft states in their Windows...
STACKOVERFLOW.COM

I'm trying to run a binary program that uses CMPXCHG16B instruction at one place, unfortunately my Athlon 64 X2 3800+ doesn't support it. Which is great, because I see it as a programming challenge...

 

 

 

 

Edited by LabRat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UltraMega said:

It says 64 bit right here, at 7 seconds in to the video. 
 

 

 

Okay fine.  I'll send you a 939 board, and YOU install Windows 10 x64 to it then?

You're completely missing the point and running a rant about something that doesn't even matter.  Windows 10 isn't a gaming OS for older hardware, its not.  It cannot run on a lot of old hardware, (read the thread I linked) due to that missing CMPXCHG16b instruction set.  And the hardware it CAN run on (that's vintage), it won't run games (even older games) due to missing drivers for the GPU, or the CPU just not having enough grunt power to get through Windows alone.

For THOSE type of people, with retro machines, forcing Windows 10 is a bad bad thing.

  • Respect 1

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy