Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

[Official] Stocks/Crypto/Investing thread

On 06/09/2021 at 12:27, J_RiZz said:

I do feel like the market as a whole may have a correction sometime this month, but even then I can't see that  being more than 5%.

Looks like you we're right about that, but probably not for all of the same reasons you would have guessed at the time. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

2 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Looks like you we're right about that, but probably not for all of the same reasons you would have guessed at the time. 

Lol, well thanks for quoting me in this. September is seasonally a bad month for stocks but damn who would've known about the Evergrande thing.  Also got the Fed meeting on Tuesday.

Was hard to look at my portfolio today but I spent the day selling put credit spreads that expire this week to offset some of the loss.

Hopefully that works out for me 😬

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 3600
MOTHERBOARD: B450 MSI Tomahawk
GPU: 6800XT
CPU COOLER: Air Cooler
PSU: EVGA 750 Supervova G2
RAM: DDR4 3200Mhz 16GB
MONITOR: LG 32" 1440p 144Hz
Full Rig Info

Looks like it was pretty short lived. After this morning I've gotten a out 70% of the recent losses back. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Why sell instead of just holding until it goes back to at least what you paid? That's what I did with my crypto and I sold all of it while still up about 50%. on Sunday.

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

56 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Why sell instead of just holding until it goes back to at least what you paid? That's what I did with my crypto and I sold all of it while still up about 50%. on Sunday.

I thought about selling; I think there was a good amount of uncertainty on Monday about the situation and it could have easily been a two or three day event instead of just a one day event. Things could still be a bit rocky going forward. 

Ideally though, stop limits are for this kind of situation exactly and anyone who had some good stop limits setup before Monday would have had their stock sell before it went down much and then they would want to buy back in at the end of the day or the next day to just skip over the losses. 

I have been lazy about setting up stop limits and I'm kicking myself a little about it now haha. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

Full Rig Info

Now I'm within $20 of where I was before this all started. Man, would have been a good time to buy the dip for sure but I didn't take any action on it. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like things have recovered from the recent dip, or really two dips. I'm not a little about where I was before the recent dips started and I never sold or anything. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

All I can say is that for long-term success, the wisest thing to do is to keep your eye on the big picture and not worry about what happens in time periods of less than a year. When I first started, my motivation was being disgruntled with my salary and my strategy was to catch a few waves, but I realized it's easier and more predictable to buy shares of something you believe in (with an appropriate amount of research and analysis) and leave it alone. I panicked or got impatient way too much in my first couple of years of investing and it cost me because I was measuring success over weeks instead of thinking about what the money that I don't need anytime soon will look like in 10+ years. I got needlessly impatient with both AMD and NFLX this way and sold both for a small loss, which is honestly a pretty damn difficult dubious achievement. These days, I still look at my portfolio daily, but I don't worry anymore if the market drops 5-10% over a couple of days like it did last month.

I want to say that every attempt I've made at a swing trade has failed. The only time I recall having marginal success with short-term trading was more of a trend trade without the fundamentals. I bet on my own company at the time following publicly announced news of a merger that would close in the coming months at a target price that wasn't reached yet. Even then, that was a painful ride because both halves of that merger were clown car operations and I sold well before our merger date because the price action was typically a long and slow downward trajectory followed by quick spikes that lasted no more than a couple of days before slowly trending down again. All that drama for a measly gain of $935.

Now that I have a much better and higher paying job, instead of rolling the dice on meme stocks, my only goal for my portfolio is to outperform the market, especially Nasdaq, which it's done every year since I started a few years ago.

Other than exceed the rate at which I typically dollar cost average into my Roth IRA by this point in the calendar year and buy some SHOP during the recent dip, I dumped the expected end-of-term interest savings from what would be my second 2021 mortgage refinance into GOOGL. I've now officially directly owned all of FAANG+M at some point and still own all except FB and NFLX.

Then, even though I haven't been thrilled about the recent uptick in mortgage interest rates, I decided to proceed with the second refinance anyway for a double double-dip. I don't usually directly associate my allocations with certain life events since it's all really just one big fungible pile of assets, but in this case, I did in order to directly see what my end-of-term interest savings turns into years down the road.

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

lol the price of BTC on Binance US dropped from $66,500 to $8,000 instantly for a few minutes earlier. Turns out someone put in a sell order for $35M worth of BTC and it caused the huge drop. If anyone was lucky enough to get some before they corrected it again, they would have near enough instantly made 710% gains.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

lol the price of BTC on Binance US dropped from $66,500 to $8,000 instantly for a few minutes earlier. Turns out someone put in a sell order for $35M worth of BTC and it caused the huge drop. If anyone was lucky enough to get some before they corrected it again, they would have near enough instantly made 710% gains.

That's not really how it works. The Seller sold at market price, so while some sold very low for those with buy orders put in low just for this dumb move by the seller, you couldn't buy the coins that low if no sale orders were open at that price, hence it quickly returns to around the prior price.

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

Let me make what I said more clear. Unless you're like me, and have a constant buy order in at a low price, which in my case is $1,000 to buy BTC at a market price of $10,000, then you won't ever snag those under-market coins and insta-gain.

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

Looks like Intel stock is on sale today: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-reports-impressive-third-quarter-2021-financial-results.html

Looks like their down 11% on earnings report at the moment. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Will be getting into this game fairly soon. I keep reading the useful comments/insights 🙂

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

I still have around 0% return given my losses/gains lol. I did the dumb and bought $BB when it was too high and that's really skewing my portfolio (which is only like $700 total anyway). The stocks I really didn't think would do well have done well... such is life.

• Respect 1

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: Asus X670E Hero (pls EVGA make an AMD mobo)
RAM: G.Skill 64GB @ 6000Mhz
GPU: RTX 4090 Strix OC
SSD/NVME: 2x SN850X 4TB | 1x 970 Pro 0.5TB
MONITOR: Something OLED, 120hz and 42-48"
WC RADIATOR: MO-RA3 420 | HeatKiller 360S
WC CPU BLOCK: Heatkiller IV Pro
Full Rig Info

Owned

AUDIO: Topping DX7 Pro
AUDIO 2: Sennheiser HD800S
AUDIO 3: Sennheiser HD650
AUDIO 4: Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC
AUDIO 5: Edifier RT1700BT
AUDIO 6: Custom XLR balanced cables
Full Rig Info

CA$40000

Owned

CPU: F22C | 257hp 251nm
CPU COOLER: K&N FIPK Intake | AEM filter
GPU: Yokohama AD08R 255/40r17
CPU COOLER 2: Titan 7 R-10s 17x9.5+51
AUDIO: Alpine UTE73BT + Modifry DCI
MOTHERBOARD: Öhlins Road & Track DFV Coilovers
OPERATING SYSTEM: Hondata
CASE: Recaro Pole Position
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I still have around 0% return given my losses/gains lol. I did the dumb and bought $BB when it was too high and that's really skewing my portfolio (which is only like $700 total anyway). The stocks I really didn't think would do well have done well... such is life.

That's cool tho, once you get into the game you start learning a lot even if it's just from watching the numbers move around. No one wins at it all the time but over time hopefully you will win most of the time.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Just a little success story; last week or two have been pretty good in general for most stocks, and I've definitely benefited. I also invested in a company called SOFI a few months back when they seems to have really dipped in a way seemed temporary and since then that stock has gone up a lot. Just between Friday and today I'm up about $700. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Another great day... This last week or so has is looking like a good rally. Hope it doesn't swing back too hard. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

I predict a huge crash in SHIB soon. Back in Dec/Jan, someone dumped $8,000 into it, that much SHIB is now worth $8,000,000,000 and the wallet that has all of that SHIB in recently got moved into another wallet or something. I think the owner is looking for an exchange that will buy the most amount that they can from them.

If that does happen, I predict SHIB will crash hard and never recover.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

On 03/11/2021 at 14:35, Andrew said:

I predict a huge crash in SHIB soon. Back in Dec/Jan, someone dumped $8,000 into it, that much SHIB is now worth $8,000,000,000 and the wallet that has all of that SHIB in recently got moved into another wallet or something. I think the owner is looking for an exchange that will buy the most amount that they can from them.

If that does happen, I predict SHIB will crash hard and never recover.

Don't say that, SHIB has treated me pretty well the last few months. -_-  Gonna keep HODL'ing it, I only put a little in and it was already crypto anyway.  🤷‍♂️  Was hoping it'd hit a penny, if it did I could retire off it entirely at 35 lol.  Big dreams.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

All these tech stocks and Ford has been one of my biggest winner lately. More than doubled in the last year (was at a low point) and has really started moving over the last month. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

I was just taking about Microsoft stock with pio last night and this morning I came across this; https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/it-s-crystal-clear-why-microsoft-is-no-1-again/ar-AAQlZtJ?ocid=mmx&PC=EMMX01&PC=EMMX01

Owned

Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, pioneerisloud said:

Don't say that, SHIB has treated me pretty well the last few months. -_-  Gonna keep HODL'ing it, I only put a little in and it was already crypto anyway.  🤷‍♂️  Was hoping it'd hit a penny, if it did I could retire off it entirely at 35 lol.  Big dreams.

It's never going to reach a penny, even if my prediction is wrong. The math just isn't there, for SHIB to have the same marketcap as Bitcoin, 1 SHIB = $0.002. The marketcap of SHIB would have to reach $5.6T or 187 times more than it is now.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

14 hours ago, pioneerisloud said:

I have a paltry amount of crypto in a wallet but it's increased 6X since I first opened it. The problem is that I only put about $20 worth of Bitcoin in there. I feel like I could take a shotgun approach to crypto though. Not enough to hurt losing it all, but far better odds of getting something meaningful by spreading $100-1000 each into a few different cryptocurrencies versus playing the lottery.

It's all just a hindsight daydreaming exercise though, not too different from daydreaming about winning the lottery. If I had tossed even $10 in SHIB at the beginning of the year, never mind the fact that I didn't even know it existed then, I would be set for a couple of lifetimes if I could find a way to liquidate the gains as well as have the guts to hold the entire time.

I'm content with my plans to retire before 50, which is still way far ahead of most people. My problem, which I still have a few years to figure out, is how and whether I plan to change my investment strategy when I reach that magic number for my total assets. I got into stock investing in 2017 with a hyper-aggressive growth strategy because I was upset with my salary and not getting a raise at my job at the time, as well as not investing my extra money beyond the Roth IRA annual limit back when I opened one well over a decade ago. If I did, I could be retired right now.

I think back to when a coworker from my first job introduced me to opening a Roth IRA. He's about my age and told me then he planned to retire at 40. I didn't completely believe him then. Now I realize he easily could have pulled it off and I should reach out to him in the coming years to see if he did. I now make over 50% more per year with my current job than I did at the one I was unhappy with in 2017 and my aggressive "catch-up" strategy has worked so well that I don't want to change anything now, even though I know the last several years have been nothing like the broader history of the stock market.

Edited by Snakecharmed

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

19 minutes ago, Snakecharmed said:

I have a paltry amount of crypto in a wallet but it's increased 6X since I first opened it. The problem is that I only put about $20 worth of Bitcoin in there. I feel like I could take a shotgun approach to crypto though. Not enough to hurt losing it all, but far better odds of getting something meaningful by spreading $100-1000 each into a few different cryptocurrencies versus playing the lottery.

It's all just a hindsight daydreaming exercise though, not too different from daydreaming about winning the lottery. If I had tossed even $10 in SHIB at the beginning of the year, never mind the fact that I didn't even know it existed then, I would be set for a couple of lifetimes if I could find a way to liquidate the gains as well as have the guts to hold the entire time.

I'm content with my plans to retire before 50, which is still way far ahead of most people. My problem, which I still have a few years to figure out, is how and whether I plan to change my investment strategy when I reach that magic number for my total assets. I got into stock investing in 2017 with a hyper-aggressive growth strategy because I was upset with my salary and not getting a raise at my job at the time, as well as not investing my extra money beyond the Roth IRA annual limit back when I opened one well over a decade ago. If I did, I could be retired right now.

I think back to when a coworker from my first job introduced me to opening a Roth IRA. He's about my age and told me then he planned to retire at 40. I didn't completely believe him then. Now I realize he easily could have pulled it off and I should reach out to him in the coming years to see if he did. I now make over 50% more per year with my current job than I did at the one I was unhappy with in 2017 and my aggressive "catch-up" strategy has worked so well that I don't want to change anything now, even though I know the last several years have been nothing like the broader history of the stock market.

You can say the same things about stocks. Plenty of stocks have gone up 6x or more in the last year. With hindsight you can look at any type of investment and think of any big movers as missed opportunities. 

Owned

Full Rig Info