Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

[Official] Stocks/Crypto/Investing thread

I predict I will start my stocks journey in the next couple of weeks. First got my 10Gb network overhaul.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

16 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

You can say the same things about stocks. Plenty of stocks have gone up 6x or more in the last year. With hindsight you can look at any type of investment and think of any big movers as missed opportunities. 

Very true. The difference for me is that I no longer lament those missed opportunities because I figured out my path and am happy with it now. The stock that got me interested in investing was the AMD turnaround in Lisa Su's early years at the helm.

I also can't say that I haven't benefited from massive gains as well when my portfolio's big hitters are ENPH, NVDA, and PYPL. I missed numerous opportunities to get into TSLA for instance, but I never liked the idea of investing in a company that at one point was so volatile that some dumbass tweets from X Æ A-12 Sr. could send it flying in either direction.

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

10 minutes ago, Snakecharmed said:

Very true. The difference for me is that I no longer lament those missed opportunities because I figured out my path and am happy with it now. The stock that got me interested in investing was the AMD turnaround in Lisa Su's early years at the helm.

I also can't say that I haven't benefited from massive gains as well when my portfolio's big hitters are ENPH, NVDA, and PYPL. I missed numerous opportunities to get into TSLA for instance, but I never liked the idea of investing in a company that at one point was so volatile that some dumbass tweets from Elon could send it flying in either direction.

Funny you mention it, AMD kinda got me into investing as well. When their stock price was ~$2 a share I was still young, I think early 20s and I had no spare money to buy stocks but I knew AMD was either going to go way way up or go bankrupt and I felt it was extremely unlikely the only general cpu company other than Intel would actually go under. I tried pretty hard to convince my dad to buy AMD stock but he figured I was just some dumb 20 years old (true in a lot of ways at the time) and he didn't take it seriously. I never forget the lessons learned from that experience. 

As for Tesla, he's at it again just recently. I don't like Tesla stocks for the same reason you mentioned. Spot on. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

4 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Funny you mention it, AMD kinda got me into investing as well. When their stock price was ~$2 a share I was still young, I think early 20s and I had no spare money to buy stocks but I knew AMD was either going to go way way up or go bankrupt and I felt it was extremely unlikely the only general cpu company other than Intel would actually go under. I tried pretty hard to convince my dad to buy AMD stock but he figured I was just some dumb 20 years old (true in a lot of ways at the time) and he didn't take it seriously. I never forget the lessons learned from that experience. 

As for Tesla, he's at it again just recently. I don't like Tesla stocks for the same reason you mentioned. Spot on. 

It's funny, I made that edit to my post following a random thought after you replied and now I just might refer to Elon as X Æ A-12 Sr. more often.

At one point, I made a cursory effort of trying to be an investor with personal ethics and justifying my picks that way, but that didn't last. I actually sold a small portion of my current NVDA holding for SOXL when the news came out that Nvidia was bullying Hardware Unboxed. SOXL has been pretty nice, but it's a triple-leveraged ETF that's gained 75% since February, while NVDA's gained 133% since then. If I had left NVDA alone, I think it might have become my top holding by portfolio percentage instead of ENPH.

I think the only personal investing ethics I still have are that I just don't like X Æ A-12 Sr., and truthfully, my avoidance of TSLA is mostly because the stock is so ridiculously overvalued that I'm not sure I could ever just get on the bandwagon without concerns. That and I still kind of hate their cars.

As for AMD, I think that was a perfect storm. Bulldozer was so bad, Ryzen was so good, and Su has been a fantastic leader for the company. They were kind of a meme stock before those were a thing, but unlike contemporary meme stocks, the case for AMD was fundamentally justified and aided by a confluence of positive developments.

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

52 minutes ago, Snakecharmed said:

It's funny, I made that edit to my post following a random thought after you replied and now I just might refer to Elon as X Æ A-12 Sr. more often.

At one point, I made a cursory effort of trying to be an investor with personal ethics and justifying my picks that way, but that didn't last. I actually sold a small portion of my current NVDA holding for SOXL when the news came out that Nvidia was bullying Hardware Unboxed. SOXL has been pretty nice, but it's a triple-leveraged index fund that's gained 75% since February, while NVDA's gained 133% since then. If I had left NVDA alone, I think it might have become my top holding by portfolio percentage instead of ENPH.

I think the only personal investing ethics I still have are that I just don't like X Æ A-12 Sr., and truthfully, my avoidance of TSLA is mostly because the stock is so ridiculously overvalued that I'm not sure I could ever just get on the bandwagon without concerns. That and I still kind of hate their cars.

As for AMD, I think that was a perfect storm. Bulldozer was so bad, Ryzen was so good, and Su has been a fantastic leader for the company. They were kind of a meme stock before those were a thing, but unlike contemporary meme stocks, the case for AMD was fundamentally justified and aided by a confluence of positive developments.

I agree that Tesla does seem over-valued and by the same logic I think it's worth looking at other car companies that haven't really done much in the EV market yet. Tesla seems like most of their success is due to being way ahead of the competition, but I figure other car companies have got to be capable of putting some decent electric motors and batteries in a frame eventually. When they catch up, it would make sense to me if a lot of tesla's value gets redistributed to other emerging EV players, and a lot of them are pretty far behind so there are potentially pretty strong gains to be had down the road. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Definitely been an interesting last few days. For anyone not aware, things took a dip recent due to inflation concerns, but things has also been rising sharply for about two weeks up until this and with that recent upswing in mind things are still up overall. 

On one hand, stocks could recover which would be great. On the other, they could go down a bit more and become a good time to buy. I think if it does dip more I will buy into something while it's low to try to take advantage of it. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

My business is 1.5 months away from being debt free. My ETH hash is just over 1.2 MH/s. I saw my revenue estimates hit $3,200 mo. 1 day last week, and it keeps growing every time the miners get more out of LHR. If not for LHR, I'd be above 1.5.

When the debt is gone, I'm looking forward to actually playing with these cards. I will start holding coins and folding more. Someone we might all remember from ocn, not going to name him, restored an old wallet he thought was gone forever with 8.3 BTC in it and cashed out at $65,000 per coin. If anything has that btc growth potential within the next 5 years, it would have to be ethereum. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

Looks like it rebounded.

I'm kicking myself a little because I had set a limit before the downturn on SOFI for 21.5 that triggered and now it's gone up quite a bit from there 😂. Still made a good profit but definitely sold too early. 

8 hours ago, BWG said:

My business is 1.5 months away from being debt free. My ETH hash is just over 1.2 MH/s. I saw my revenue estimates hit $3,200 mo. 1 day last week, and it keeps growing every time the miners get more out of LHR. If not for LHR, I'd be above 1.5.

When the debt is gone, I'm looking forward to actually playing with these cards. I will start holding coins and folding more. Someone we might all remember from ocn, not going to name him, restored an old wallet he thought was gone forever with 8.3 BTC in it and cashed out at $65,000 per coin. If anything has that btc growth potential within the next 5 years, it would have to be ethereum. 

My knowledge of crypto is limited but based on what I know, I agree Ethereum seem like the next one to gain value, if only because it seems to be the one used most for real transactions. 

On that note, what crypto trading apps do you guys recommend? I have Coinbase but their trading fees seem a bit high. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Looks like it rebounded.

I'm kicking myself a little because I had set a limit before the downturn on SOFI for 21.5 that triggered and now it's gone up quite a bit from there 😂. Still made a good profit but definitely sold too early. 

My knowledge of crypto is limited but based on what I know, I agree Ethereum seem like the next one to gain value, if only because it seems to be the one used most for real transactions. 

On that note, what crypto trading apps do you guys recommend? I have Coinbase but their trading fees seem a bit high. 

Most all crypto trading platforms will have outrageous fees, including coinbase. Don't forget, part of the last ETH hardfork was to burn a ton of ETH thus moving to POS, fees are part of the "Burning". It won't be long now. Once mining is eradicated, that is when you will see the value of ETH skyrocket. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Avacado said:

Most all crypto trading platforms will have outrageous fees, including coinbase. Don't forget, part of the last ETH hardfork was to burn a ton of ETH thus moving to POS, fees are part of the "Burning". It won't be long now. Once mining is eradicated, that is when you will see the value of ETH skyrocket. 

I just don't see mining being eradicated anytime soon personally.  There's too many bigger firms / warehouses / etc that are mining.  So what if ETH goes POS and you can't mine it anymore?  There's thousands of other coins that the GPU's can mine for.  I just have a hard time imagining ALL the cash people have spent on GPU's and it being for absolutely nothing.  I mean Ravencoin is even still profitable.  Heck even ETC is profitable.  Just not AS profitable as ETH is at the current time.

I think once ETH goes POS, we'll see the GPU farms switch to a different coin.  My own personal speculation on that subject anyway.  Still debating on buying cards again to do it myself actually lol.

Edited by pioneerisloud

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

6 hours ago, pioneerisloud said:

I just don't see mining being eradicated anytime soon personally.  There's too many bigger firms / warehouses / etc that are mining.  So what if ETH goes POS and you can't mine it anymore?  There's thousands of other coins that the GPU's can mine for.  I just have a hard time imagining ALL the cash people have spent on GPU's and it being for absolutely nothing.  I mean Ravencoin is even still profitable.  Heck even ETC is profitable.  Just not AS profitable as ETH is at the current time.

I think once ETH goes POS, we'll see the GPU farms switch to a different coin.  My own personal speculation on that subject anyway.  Still debating on buying cards again to do it myself actually lol.

I never said "Mining" would be eradicated, I said ETH mining would. Of course there are plenty of other coins to mine on. 

• Thanks 1

The problem with ETH going POS is there's nearly 8 TH/s of hash power mining it. Once that hash spreads out to alt coins, your going to see diminishing mining profits on alt coins due to all of that extra hash hitting the pools causing smaller profits per block for each user. It could get pretty bad. Some may exit which will help a lot of things.

Edited by BWG
  • Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a new covid strain is going to be sending stocks down for a while. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

40 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

Looks like a new covid strain is going to be sending stocks down for a while. 

Yea, was just reading about it this morning with a few peers. Very scary stuff. Hopefully not what they are saying. Known as B.1.1.529 and the WHO is deciding if it should be labeled a "Variant of concern". Supposed to be even more transmissible than Delta and render vaccines even less effective. Can definitely see the markets reacting to it. 

Looks like China doesn't want the US to own too much stock in Chinese companies. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/nio-alibaba-lead-losses-for-u-s-listed-stocks-of-chinese-companies-after-didi-delisting-news/ar-AARrm0t?PC=EMMX01

I had some Nio stock. Sold it after hearing about this. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Have any of you guys been following Rivian stock? I have and it debuted at about $100 not long ago, spiked up a lot and is now back down to $100. Personally I am looking at this as a good time to buy and I bought into it today. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, UltraMega said:

Looks like China doesn't want the US to own too much stock in Chinese companies. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/nio-alibaba-lead-losses-for-u-s-listed-stocks-of-chinese-companies-after-didi-delisting-news/ar-AARrm0t?PC=EMMX01

I had some Nio stock. Sold it after hearing about this. 

I dabbled with Chinese stocks a couple of years ago, mainly BABA, which I held for for an up-and-down cycle over two years and eventually sold for a $30 loss in 2020. I also got roped into the meme trading nature of HUYA and IQ back in 2018 and lost nearly $3000 on those. All garbage. Of course, with how the political climate has changed regarding China since then, I basically treat Chinese stocks as if they don't exist these days.

Edited by Snakecharmed

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

image.png.32482b502c8647767496adc7703139d0.png

200.gif.b495bdcac0f0699c9f86fffec0a5349d.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

All that means to me is cheap crypto to buy! :wheee:

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

4 hours ago, pioneerisloud said:

All that means to me is cheap crypto to buy! :wheee:

I like discounted crypto, but my favorite is ADA! 😁

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5900x
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B550 Mortar
RAM: G. Skill 32Gb 3600Mhz RGB
PSU: Corsair SFX 750 Platinum
GPU: EVGA 2080ti FTW
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP600 PCIE NVME 1tb
CPU COOLER: Corsair h150i Cappelix Elite
Full Rig Info

Seems like there was a glitch on Coinbase a few hours ago that made the price of bitcoin $887 billion for 5 minutes. I sold by bitcoin 2 days ago. I wouldn't have been able to cash out during that glitch, but my portfolio would have said that I had over $1M though, so that would have been neat.

EDIT: Seems like it wasn't just bitcoin. This person was briefly the of the richest people in the world.

image.thumb.png.796b0d68b2f8c440822d5806652a9186.png

Edited by Andrew

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

I had almost 4 million for 5 minutes.  I'd have attempted to cash out had I seen it. :lachen:

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

So uhhhh... been a fun week or so huh 🤣

I bought in more at the start of this dip. Wish I had been waited a few more days to buy... This is a pretty strong covid dip. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like this is the end of the BTC bull run for this halving.

image.png.c5892588fedfe0d5f3e338e7dea3a25d.png

It had since dropped a further £100 all in the space of about 1 minute.

Bitcoin has been following the same trends since it came out, so I see BTC going down to around $15K-$18K, then it's really going to yeet up to $250K-$300K ATH during 2024/25.

Now lets see if I'm right, anyone got a time machine I can borrow? 🙃

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned