Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

The Accident Thread

So, this happened on the way home from work today. I thought I would make a post about it for everyone to share the BS of accidents. P.S. It was a hit and run. The police later found the car and I'm pressing charges. I initially started to swerve right because I thought the lady saw me. By the time I realized she was committed to the turn it was too late. I had the green light. I literally installed the dashcam 2 days ago and glad I did. 

Sad thing is I just got the car 3 weeks ago after trading in my truck. I'm beyond devastated. I'm so mad that I don't even feel anything right now. Anyhow, feel free to share your accidents here. 

image.thumb.jpeg.08f826971db7cb468cebda980cf2a388.jpeg

Does look like you were driving a bit quick for the road conditions. Hindsight is 20/20.

Watching that video a couple of times, I want to know how that was a hit and run. You basically took out the rear wheel there. I don't imagine she got very far.

As long as you have insurance and are physically okay, it's always going to be "fine" unless that car has a lot of sentimental value. Just a bit of a PITA while the insurance refuses to payout.

I've never been involved in any crashes personally except that one time where I wasn't even in the car. An old person who was way too old to be driving reversed into my parked car. I was at the right part of my house at just the right time to see the entire thing happen. Luckily he didn't just drive off, he actually made an effort to try to find out who's car it is. Which to be fair, wasn't that much effort at all because I immediately outside. He was very nice about it actually, he offered to pay me cash to have it fixed. Because it was such a low speed crash, all that happened was a small scratch and the plastic indicator housing broke. Only cost £15 in parts to fix and another £30 in labour. I didn't bother with the scratch because it was already scratched up when I bought it. Unfortunately there's no video because I just didn't have one and I lost the picture a while ago after not making any backups.

That crash did actually show the build quality of Volvos very well. The car was a first gen V70. His car was a basically brand new (at the time) Peugeot 107. His car had a damaged rear bumper that was basically hanging off, smashed tail light and smashed rear window.

I know @ENTERPRISE had a pretty big crash a little over a year ago 🙃

Edited by Andrew
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

Damn bro u were mashing, passing all the other cars on the road. ~55mph, looks like it was a 35mph zone. The other car probably thought they had more time. They probably still should have waited to pull out but seems like sort of a mutual accident. Fast driving plus pulling out too early. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Does look like you were driving a bit quick for the road conditions. Hindsight is 20/20.

Watching that video a couple of times, I want to know how that was a hit and run. You basically took out the rear wheel there. I don't imagine she got very far.

As long as you have insurance and are physically okay, it's always going to be "fine" unless that car has a lot of sentimental value. Just a bit of a PITA while the insurance refuses to payout.

I've never been involved in any crashes personally except that one time where I wasn't even in the car. An old person who was way too old to be driving reversed into my parked car. I was at the right part of my house at just the right time to see the entire thing happen. Luckily he didn't just drive off, he actually made an effort to try to find out who's car it is. Which to be fair, wasn't that much effort at all because I immediately outside. He was very nice about it actually, he offered to pay me cash to have it fixed. Because it was such a low speed crash, all that happened was a small scratch and the plastic indicator housing broke. Only cost £15 in parts to fix and another £30 in labour. I didn't bother with the scratch because it was already scratched up when I bought it. Unfortunately there's no video because I just didn't have one and I lost the picture a while ago after not making any backups.

That crash did actually show the build quality of Volvos very well. The car was a first gen V70. His car was a basically brand new (at the time) Peugeot 107. His car had a damaged rear bumper that was basically hanging off, smashed tail light and smashed rear window.

I know @ENTERPRISE had a pretty big crash a little over a year ago 🙃

Speed limit on that road was 45. I was doing 52 and ended up at 54 through the intersection. It was a hit and run because the lady fled the scene. The cop eventually found her because she never came back down the road. It's a good thing too because the video never saw her license plate. If I hadn't called the cops she would have gotten away with it. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Respect 1

5 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

Damn bro u were mashing. ~55mph, looks like it was a 35mph zone. The other car probably thought they had more time. They probably still should have waited to pull out but seems like sort of a mutual accident. Fast driving plus pulling out too early. 

It's a commercial stretch of a 2 lane road. Limit is 45. I wouldn't have even been down that road, but the normal route to get to my daughters daycare was having some construction and was backed up. 

Edited by Avacado

Just now, Avacado said:

It's a commercial stretch of a 2 lane road. Limit is 45.

OK, I believe you but looking at the video you were going faster than all the other cars. Maybe that's partly why the other car thought they had more time, basing off the other cars going your way. 

Car accidents are usually a mix of one person being mostly at fault while the other was probably not giving themselves enough time to react. I've been in accidents when I was younger that were definitely my fault, no judgment here. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 minute ago, UltraMega said:

OK, I believe you but looking at the video you were going faster than all the other cars. Maybe that's partly why the other car thought they had more time, basing off the other cars going your way. 

Car accidents are usually a mix of one person being mostly at fault while the other was probably not giving themselves enough time to react. I've been in accidents when I was younger that were definitely my fault, no judgment here. 

Yea, I know I was going faster than the other cars, nothing I would have gotten a ticket for though. The lady probably shouldn't be behind the wheel I think she was 80+ years old. This is the 3rd time I've been in an accident and all three times I've been hit by someone turning left though my green light. It's quite annoying. 

Just now, Avacado said:

Yea, I know I was going faster than the other cars, nothing I would have gotten a ticket for though. The lady probably shouldn't be behind the wheel I think she was 80+ years old. This is the 3rd time I've been in an accident and all three times I've been hit by someone turning left though my green light. It's quite annoying. 

We all speed, me especially, but I try to limit that mostly to the freeway. There were a lot of intersections and turn lanes there, maybe there's a lesson in here somewhere about being more careful around busy areas because other people are likely to pull out in front of you when they turn left. 

A few months ago I was on my way to a funeral, and I stopped to get flowers. In the parking lot a woman backed her car into mine while I was pulling out even though I had pulled out way before her and I honked a bunch, but she didn't see me at all. The woman noticed the flowers in my car and she said "what kind of dog is that". 

Gotta watch out for bad drivers.  

• Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

😢

Owned

CPU: Intel i9 10900K @ 51/47 1.26v
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z590 Maximus XIII Hero
RAM: G.Skill DDR4-4266 CL17 32GB @ 4300 15-16-16-35 2T 1.55v
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3080 Ti
SSD/NVME: Team Group MP34 4TB NVMe + WD Blue 4TB SATA SSD
CPU COOLER: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Noctua iPPC 3000
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1000W
CASE: Fractal Design Meshify S2
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @ 47/43 1.22v
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock Z390 Taichi
RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 CL16 64GB @ 3200 16-20-20-38 1T 1.35v
SSD/NVME: SN850 1TB + HP EX950 2TB + SX8200 2TB NVMe
HDD: 4x Seagate Exos X16 14TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
OTHER: LSI Logic 9207-8i
NETWORK: Intel X540 10 GbE
Full Rig Info

$600

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7 5825U
MOTHERBOARD: SFX14-42G-R607
RAM: 16GB LPDDR4-4266
SSD/NVME: SK Hynix P31 Gold 2TB M.2 NVME
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung PM991a 512GB M.2 NVME
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti 4GB 35W @ 55W
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
OPERATING SYSTEM 2: Debian 12.5 KDE
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead
1.1k 987

Here's mine:

I call it happy father's day 2022, love Rachel and Ethan.

Like how the * did Rachel run into Ethan? Ethan was upset when he told me about my truck, but you should have seen Rachel's car. 

There is no good reason to speed. My chief told me that after I got a nasty ticket in 1998. He said "Arrive alive, shipmate."

IMG_20220804_172301558.jpg

• Respect 2

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

28 minutes ago, damric said:

Here's mine:

I call it happy father's day 2022, love Rachel and Ethan.

Like how the * did Rachel run into Ethan? Ethan was upset when he told me about my truck, but you should have seen Rachel's car. 

There is no good reason to speed. My chief told me that after I got a nasty ticket in 1998. He said "Arrive alive, shipmate."

IMG_20220804_172301558.jpg

That's fair. I grew up driving along the capital beltway. You ain't speeding unless you are doing 10 over the limit. Cops don't even pull you over either. I mean the cop looked at the video and didn't say a thing about speed. 

Edited by Avacado

1.1k 987
12 minutes ago, Avacado said:

That's fair. I grew up driving along the capital beltway. You ain't speeding unless you are doing 10 over the limit. Cops don't even pull you over either. I mean the cop looked at the video and didn't say a thing about speed. 

I had this conversation with Ethan (16) a few weeks ago when he told he me swerved off the road but luckily didn't hit anything or anyone.

Ethan: "I wasn't speeding. I was doing 45 in a 45."

Me: "Ethan, I told you. The speed limit is for IDEAL driving conditions. You are a dumbass kid, driving an older vehicle with less than ideal brakes, tires, and suspension. You were also driving around a curve, at night, and the road was wet. Automatically assume everyone driving around you is drunk and on meth, getting a blowjob, hitting the obnoxious kid in the backseat and watching TikTok."

• Respect 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

Full Rig Info

15 minutes ago, damric said:

I had this conversation with Ethan (16) a few weeks ago when he told he me swerved off the road but luckily didn't hit anything or anyone.

Ethan: "I wasn't speeding. I was doing 45 in a 45."

Me: "Ethan, I told you. The speed limit is for IDEAL driving conditions. You are a dumbass kid, driving an older vehicle with less than ideal brakes, tires, and suspension. You were also driving around a curve, at night, and the road was wet. Automatically assume everyone driving around you is drunk and on meth, getting a blowjob, hitting the obnoxious kid in the backseat and watching TikTok."

I'm 0/3 here. Three of you guys commented and all three of you are making me feel like I did something wrong here. There was a VERY light drizzle, the road had not become saturated and there was no change to responsiveness in the steering. I can't be the only one who drives 4-9 over the limit and doesn't feel like a criminal. I have a clean driving record, never been given a speeding ticket. I've been in 3 accidents all of which were just like this one. Are you really comparing me to a 16 year old here?

I did account for the lady, I saw her. She decided to turn as my vehicle was just about in the crosswalk. I'm a pretty alert driver and I don't think there was anything else I could have done there. She just didn't see me, even though I was 25 FT in front of her when she turned. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Respect 1

2 minutes ago, Avacado said:

I mean I'm 0/3 here. Three of you guys commented and all three of you are making me feel like I did something wrong here. There was a VERY light drizzle, the road had not become saturated and there was no change to responsiveness in the steering. I can't be the only one who drives 4-9 over the limit and doesn't feel like a criminal. I have a clean driving record, never been given a speeding ticket. I've been in 3 accidents all of which were just like this one. Are you really comparing me to a 16 year old here?

I'd honestly say it was 10% you for driving too fast for the conditions, 90% the other driver for pulling out when it was clear there was car coming in the other direction. It's pretty rare for a crash not to be the fault of everyone involved if both/all cars are moving. But it's the majority of the blame is rarely going to go to more than one driver.

The speed limits these days are stupid. They made sense in the 70s/80s. Cars are significantly quicker these days. You can get a Toyota these days that can accelerate as quickly as a Ferrari F430. But there is a time and a place to go over the limit.

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

1.1k 987
46 minutes ago, Avacado said:

I'm 0/3 here. Three of you guys commented and all three of you are making me feel like I did something wrong here. There was a VERY light drizzle, the road had not become saturated and there was no change to responsiveness in the steering. I can't be the only one who drives 4-9 over the limit and doesn't feel like a criminal. I have a clean driving record, never been given a speeding ticket. I've been in 3 accidents all of which were just like this one. Are you really comparing me to a 16 year old here?

I did account for the lady, I saw her. She decided to turn as my vehicle was just about in the crosswalk. I'm a pretty alert driver and I don't think there was anything else I could have done there. She just didn't see me, even though I was 25 FT in front of her when she turned. 

Oh I'm not intending you make you feel bad. I was just posting our families' own driving incidents for the thread, especially what Rachel did to my rear end. Having teenagers that drive is stressful. Ethan ran over a cat the other night.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

Full Rig Info

47 minutes ago, Avacado said:

I'm 0/3 here. Three of you guys commented and all three of you are making me feel like I did something wrong here.

image.png.087250c3cf5de1577ff7fb8d2302be5d.png

1 hour ago, The Pook said:

😢

image.png.9961e66bc5527effeae4c4934aa967ac.png

• Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: Intel i9 10900K @ 51/47 1.26v
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z590 Maximus XIII Hero
RAM: G.Skill DDR4-4266 CL17 32GB @ 4300 15-16-16-35 2T 1.55v
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3080 Ti
SSD/NVME: Team Group MP34 4TB NVMe + WD Blue 4TB SATA SSD
CPU COOLER: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Noctua iPPC 3000
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1000W
CASE: Fractal Design Meshify S2
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @ 47/43 1.22v
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock Z390 Taichi
RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 CL16 64GB @ 3200 16-20-20-38 1T 1.35v
SSD/NVME: SN850 1TB + HP EX950 2TB + SX8200 2TB NVMe
HDD: 4x Seagate Exos X16 14TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
OTHER: LSI Logic 9207-8i
NETWORK: Intel X540 10 GbE
Full Rig Info

$600

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7 5825U
MOTHERBOARD: SFX14-42G-R607
RAM: 16GB LPDDR4-4266
SSD/NVME: SK Hynix P31 Gold 2TB M.2 NVME
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung PM991a 512GB M.2 NVME
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti 4GB 35W @ 55W
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
OPERATING SYSTEM 2: Debian 12.5 KDE
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Avacado said:

You didn't do anything wrong, you just weren't driving defensively either. The other car messed up and that's why it's good to be a little on guard when you go through an area like that. Assume other people are gonna mess up once in a while. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

@AvacadoI completely understand speeding a little over.  I regularly do about 5-10 over because the cops just don't care around here either.  Of course, its regularly dry around here being a desert.  A quick lesson for defensive driving, especially in a situation like that, try to aim BEHIND the car, not in front of.  Always assume the car is going to continue moving forward as most people panic in a situation like that and gas it.  The swerve to the right is what screwed you up.  Granted I wouldn't swerve into oncoming either, but had you braked when you swerved, and tried to go in behind her, you might've made it.

Overall, you didn't do anything wrong there, she was very clearly in the wrong.  And to top it off, her taking off.  Good dashcam quality you have there. 👍

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

19 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

@AvacadoI completely understand speeding a little over.  I regularly do about 5-10 over because the cops just don't care around here either.  Of course, its regularly dry around here being a desert.  A quick lesson for defensive driving, especially in a situation like that, try to aim BEHIND the car, not in front of.  Always assume the car is going to continue moving forward as most people panic in a situation like that and gas it.  The swerve to the right is what screwed you up.  Granted I wouldn't swerve into oncoming either, but had you braked when you swerved, and tried to go in behind her, you might've made it.

Overall, you didn't do anything wrong there, she was very clearly in the wrong.  And to top it off, her taking off.  Good dashcam quality you have there. 👍

My first thought WAS to aim behind the car, but unfortunately there was oncoming traffic on that side. When I began to approach her, my line of sight behind her to the rear was blocked and I wasn't going to take the chance. I knew I was going to hit her. I had hoped the lady would see me and swerve right to correct her path. You are right, had I braked not swerved I might not have clipped her. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Respect 1

Social Media Manager
1.4k 815

You did nothing wrong. For almost 3 years i was doing about 40k km yearly in mtl for work.

Now i want to move north or in another country. 

So many pedestrian and bike just cross anywhere and expect people to stop. And car drive like mad.  Montreal at night is like

30kmh zone = 60

40kmh zone = 70

50kmh zone = 80

70kmh highways is mostly 100-110

• Thanks 1

Owned

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info

Tough crowd. You might have been going a little fast, but ultimately the lady is the one who pulled out in front of you Avacado.

Anyway my stories of wrecks are the following:

Year is 2015. I need to set this one up. I was working in a job that felt like literal hell on earth. My team even got t-shirts to that effect - i.e. "Working at DaVita is like riding a bicycle, only the bicycle is on fire, you're ojn fire, everything is on fire and you're in hell". I think we showed up to the business casual office once wearing those. Was hilarious. Anyway, it reached the point that even the weekend (one where I didn't have to work) rolls around and I wake up dreading working again in 2 days and don't want to even get out of bed. Without getting into too many details, suffice to say my mental health was not good. Work weeks were turning into 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 hours and the biggest problem was leaving for the day and then getting my evenings or nights hijacked by something coming up. And with the volume of stuff, it was all 3 of us on the team getting burnt out at the same time. On-call rotation? Too much work, let's just burn everyone out. It was bad, place was super toxic, my team of 3 was awesome, but we were getting no help and burning out fast. Anyway, I was at a pretty low point in life, self care wasn't great. But this particular Saturday, I resolved to not sit around feeling sorry for myself that day and get my ass up and out of the house. I thought, ok I'll go see a movie. So I did. I don't remember which movie. If I had to guess, I think it was Ex Machina. 

Anyway, leave the movie, drive back home. I want to say it was May, so it was raining. I am almost home, hit a long line of cars at a red light. Well I am stopped. I look at my rear view mirror. Anyway, I see this older pickup truck coming behind me and I think oh god its not going to stop in time. Sure enough, hits me. At this time, I just felt completely dejected and defeated like geeze I try to do something and this is what I get. I don't think I really react much to it. Anyway, I get out. Truck is being driven by what I'd guess is a 16 year old kid and his friend is a passenger. The driver kid gets out and first words out of his mouth is "oh man, that's the second time that's happened". I look at his tires.

Bald, and I mean bald. No wonder he couldn't stop, going downhill, in a rainstorm. Really pissed me off thinking about it later, but in the moment I was just like "really?" and let's get this crap over with. Long story short, work got bad again and I was once again struggling with self care, much less dealing with insurance and getting my car fixed. 6 months later finally got it fixed when I sat down and really delt with it. By that time my whole entire team, myself included, quit in dramatic fashion and moved on to other jobs.

Second wreck - 2018. I am driving to my buddy's house on a Friday evening. It's tabletop game night. It's probably February-ish (I don't recall), however it was starting to snow. After getting rear ended by the dumb*** kid, I became very fanatic about tires. One big problem in Colorado is that no one takes care of their tires and I see so many bald tires out there, its ridiculous. Meanwhile, that was the first year I started using a snow tire set for the winter. Anyway, I am turning left at a major intersection, however, I am unfortunately behind another car, so as we are turning on our green light, I see out of my peripheral view a car that is absolutely not stopping and is going to slide into...well, me. I had snow tires on. Had the slow poke SUV with crappy all seasons in front of me gone slightly faster, I could have absolutely sped up without slipping and avoided the hit. However, they didn't, and it was a double turn lane, so I had cars to my side as well. So pretty much no where to go. Got clipped, cat kept sliding through intersection. I pull over in a safe spot (i.e. not in the middle of the intersection), I get out of the car and don't see this person anywhere. So I call the cops and file a report and call it a hit and run. I then call my insurance agent the Monday and they give me a contact at the police department as that intersection has cameras. So car apparently hit 1 more car at that intersection, and another car on the intersection after and then finally stopped and they got a report into the cops. So they knew who hit me, and I was able to get her insurance info, etc.

Yes I am still a fanatic about tires and get pissy with the drivers here in Colorado. "Oh my all seasons are fine". Yeah but we get one snowstorm, and you can't even go up a small hill in an SUV. Screw you.

Sorry that was way longer than I intended.

Edited by Sir Beregond
  • Respect 1

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

Social Media Manager
1.4k 815
24 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

Tough crowd. You might have been going a little fast, but ultimately the lady is the one who pulled out in front of you Avacado.

Anyway my stories of wrecks are the following:

Year is 2015. I need to set this one up. I was working in a job that felt like literal hell on earth. My team even got t-shirts to that effect - i.e. "Working at DaVita is like riding a bicycle, only the bicycle is on fire, you're ojn fire, everything is on fire and you're in hell". I think we showed up to the business casual office once wearing those. Was hilarious. Anyway, it reached the point that even the weekend (one where I didn't have to work) rolls around and I wake up dreading working again in 2 days and don't want to even get out of bed. Without getting into too many details, suffice to say my mental health was not good. Work weeks were turning into 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 hours and the biggest problem was leaving for the day and then getting my evenings or nights hijacked by something coming up. And with the volume of stuff, it was all 3 of us on the team getting burnt out at the same time. On-call rotation? Too much work, let's just burn everyone out. It was bad, place was super toxic, my team of 3 was awesome, but we were getting no help and burning out fast. Anyway, I was at a pretty low point in life, self care wasn't great. But this particular Saturday, I resolved to not sit around feeling sorry for myself that day and get my ass up and out of the house. I thought, ok I'll go see a movie. So I did. I don't remember which movie. If I had to guess, I think it was Ex Machina. 

Anyway, leave the movie, drive back home. I want to say it was May, so it was raining. I am almost home, hit a long line of cars at a red light. Well I am stopped. I look at my rear view mirror. Anyway, I see this older pickup truck coming behind me and I think oh god its not going to stop in time. Sure enough, hits me. At this time, I just felt completely dejected and defeated like geeze I try to do something and this is what I get. I don't think I really react much to it. Anyway, I get out. Truck is being driven by what I'd guess is a 16 year old kid and his friend is a passenger. The driver kid gets out and first words out of his mouth is "oh man, that's the second time that's happened". I look at his tires.

Bald, and I mean bald. No wonder he couldn't stop, going downhill, in a rainstorm. Really pissed me off thinking about it later, but in the moment I was just like "really?" and let's get this crap over with. Long story short, work got bad again and I was once again struggling with self care, much less dealing with insurance and getting my car fixed. 6 months later finally got it fixed when I sat down and really delt with it. By that time my whole entire team, myself included, quit in dramatic fashion and moved on to other jobs.

Second wreck - 2018. I am driving to my buddy's house on a Friday evening. It's tabletop game night. It's probably February-ish (I don't recall), however it was starting to snow. After getting rear ended by the dumb*** kid, I became very fanatic about tires. One big problem in Colorado is that no one takes care of their tires and I see so many bald tires out there, its ridiculous. Meanwhile, that was the first year I started using a snow tire set for the winter. Anyway, I am turning left at a major intersection, however, I am unfortunately behind another car, so as we are turning on our green light, I see out of my peripheral view a car that is absolutely not stopping and is going to slide into...well, me. I had snow tires on. Had the slow poke SUV with crappy all seasons in front of me gone slightly faster, I could have absolutely sped up without slipping and avoided the hit. However, they didn't, and it was a double turn lane, so I had cars to my side as well. So pretty much no where to go. Got clipped, cat kept sliding through intersection. I pull over in a safe spot (i.e. not in the middle of the intersection), I get out of the car and don't see this person anywhere. So I call the cops and file a report and call it a hit and run. I then call my insurance agent the Monday and they give me a contact at the police department as that intersection has cameras. So car apparently hit 1 more car at that intersection, and another car on the intersection after and then finally stopped and they got a report into the cops. So they knew who hit me, and I was able to get her insurance info, etc.

Yes I am still a fanatic about tires and get pissy with the drivers here in Colorado. "Oh my all seasons are fine". Yeah but we get one snowstorm, and you can't even go up a small hill in an SUV. Screw you.

Sorry that was way longer than I intended.

Really good point on tire.

I drive highly rated Studded tire now. I can now drive 120kmh in a big snow storm and just go past everyone going 60 and sliding everywhere. I can break and turn without issue!

And my summer tire are MUD and SNOW rated and have one of the best wet condition rating i could find after browsing for week. Yokohama Avid Acend GT

At work i got used to driving bald tire and cheap winter tire in summer, though you get used to it.

I was drifting the work truck a Ford Escape AWD in summer while it rained at 30mph.  Was fun as hell but totally unsafe i almost wrecked once. And getting at speed on the highways with rain was hell even with awd the traction control was going mad and i was sliding left right.

Would still do it again sliding corner in the rain with those garbage tire was so fun. 🤣😬

Edited by bonami2
  • Respect 1

Owned

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info

@UltraMega Went back and checked google maps just to make sure I wasn't incorrect. Here is a street view of the posted 45 about 200 yards from the intersection. 

image.thumb.png.c287bc780ce8b8c810ad266806d5fbbf.png

• Respect 1

13 hours ago, Avacado said:

Dude,I'd say it was a combination of both your faults. U speeding in a business zone,her not realizing you were going that fast and taking her time in her turn. If U look back(between 7-8 sec mark),she started her turn when you were still approaching the last business on the rights entrance,hardly the crosswalk,but took her time in the turn. If she hadn't left the scene,most cops would've handed YOU the ticket for that crash.🤨 Almost 10Mph over the limit in wet road conditions they'd give you reckless driving or the speeding ticket here in Oklahoma.PLUS you're insurance would suffer for paying for the wrecks.

Edited by schuck6566

2 hours ago, schuck6566 said:

Dude,I'd say it was a combination of both your faults. U speeding in a business zone,her not realizing you were going that fast and taking her time in her turn. If U look back(between 7-8 sec mark),she started her turn when you were still approaching the last business on the rights entrance,hardly the crosswalk,but took her time in the turn. If she hadn't left the scene,most cops would've handed YOU the ticket for that crash.🤨 Almost 10Mph over the limit in wet road conditions they'd give you reckless driving or the speeding ticket here in Oklahoma.PLUS you're insurance would suffer for paying for the wrecks.

I have to agree. If she hadn't left I suspect you may have been found at fault for speeding. If there's one time you want to lean on the side of caution while driving, it's when going through a bunch of intersections with unprotected turn lanes. 

Owned

Full Rig Info